Only one handgun - Page 11 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:58 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
I don't trust Ruger. Your loyalty isn't worth my life . Punk running around late at night with a gun seeing what he could steal.One shot in the air he ran away. Second shot the new Ruger gun didn't work. Ruger, what if he hadn't ran away? Call 911? Well we did, took them an hour to get here. Thanks Ruger for your fine quality.
Well now...where do I start? There is no manufacture that is exempt from a screw up every once in a while and someone has to end up with that screw up. Sorry but that is the gun industry at it's best.

I have owned bunches of Rugers and have never had a bad one. Some of them need shims, springs, trigger kits and the like to get them to where I really like them but they functioned fine the way they were.

On the other hand...I had a S&W 629 that had a timing issue right out of the box. A Sig P226 that would not feed anything but round nose bullets. A new Sig Nightmare that had ejection problems. A Beretta 92 that would not shoot with the sight with any ammo.....I could go on and on but you get the drift. Simple fixes on all but the Beretta and they gave me a new gun.

Nothing ever gets solved by brand bashing on the WWW because of remote problem! I'll tell you right now that most manufactures do not have competent gunsmiths in house that can meet their needs. Competent gunsmiths can earn twice the $ working on their own as they can fixing production gun problems at the factory.

I don't know what conversations you had with Ruger or the particulars to why the shells would not extract. A bad box of ammo would produce the same outcome. I don't know what went wrong but I do know that it could have been resolved by anyone of a hundred good gunsmiths for very little money.

In your defense, I don't know what steps the technician(I hesitate to call him a gun smith)at Ruger took to resolve your ejection issues but if it was the gun then it had to be one of two things. "Polishing the cylinder" tells me that he should have replaced the cylinder with a new one or just given you a new gun. I feel bad for you in that regard!

I have come to learn that no gun manufacture is exempt from problems and most of them(but not all) are inadequate at resolving those problems. It is unacceptable but it is the world in which we live......get to know a good gunsmith in your area!

In my case, I live 3 miles from Brownells! Man have I accumulated a whole lot of gun smithing tools over the last 2 decades. My interest level is probably higher than someone who just wants to buy a gun to shoot though.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:30 AM

Thank you for your post and much of it i agree with. But as to your comparisons i've never had much of a problem with European guns. A few but they were minor and didn't render the gun useless. Not any real problems with S&W or Winchester.
I had that problem with a S&W Schofield sometimes locking up, but after i got it broke in a bit it didn't occur anymore. And i didn't have to send it back.

To each his own i guess we all have our favorites. I've never had a problem one with H&K, i just don't like
their arrogance. No problems with anything IMI, or any with Beretta but i've only owned two of them and
they were 92s. Still have one.
post #103 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:47 AM

When i was young and full of beans with a dang good paying job i went through a lot of guns. Not because of malfunctions but because i thought i just had to have the newest and the best. I still remember the generation one Vaqueros, they shot fine. But when you would turn the cylinder to eject the shells it wouldn't click and line up on the ejection port, i had to hold it there by hand. But Ruger did address that issue in the generation two.
I had one of those and it worked fine.

I wish i still had it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 02:18 PM

I once shot a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum, with the 3 inch barrel, that shot a full 10 inches high at 15 yards with standard 158 grain factory ammo. Now, I call that a bad revolver.

It was 2 inches high at 15 yards, with standard .38 P+ ammo.
post #105 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyrock View Post
I once shot a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum, with the 3 inch barrel, that shot a full 10 inches high at 15 yards with standard 158 grain factory ammo. Now, I call that a bad revolver.

It was 2 inches high at 15 yards, with standard .38 P+ ammo.
Careful manny, your talking about Saint
Ruger.
post #106 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=Argent11;2055817712]Careful manny, your talking about Saint
Ruger.[/QUOTE Never had any dealings with Ruger semi auto's but the only bad thing I can say about the revolvers is their just to heavy for me. Tried a SP 101 once but was to heavy. Especially to try and carry it on your person. The LCR just to dang ugly. Just never a Ruger guy. My daughter carries a LCP and she likes it. To each their own. My grandson got a Walther creed for Christmas, first time he shot it the front sight fell off. Who knows ? Had a bunch of Smith Wesson's, also some problems with them. If you have a bunch of guns in your life time I am sure problems will arise from all.
post #107 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:14 PM

[quote=purebred;2055817756]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
Careful manny, your talking about Saint
Ruger.[/QUOTE Never had any dealings with Ruger semi auto's but the only bad thing I can say about the revolvers is their just to heavy for me. Tried a SP 101 once but was to heavy. Especially to try and carry it on your person. The LCR just to dang ugly. Just never a Ruger guy. My daughter carries a LCP and she likes it. To each their own. My grandson got a Walther creed for Christmas, first time he shot it the front sight fell off. Who knows ? Had a bunch of Smith Wesson's, also some problems with them. If you have a bunch of guns in your life time I am sure problems will arise from all.
I agree, but strangely not H&K. But their customer relations suck.
post #108 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:03 PM

If we could only have one it better be one that can shoot any bullet type you might find. That is why I shy away from Auto loaders . The governor might be a choice .
post #109 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:06 PM

BTW I don't worry about my spelling I seldom do. With this Auto spell check changing words and fingers to big for the pad I always have a few spelling errors.
post #110 of 136 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootall3 View Post
BTW I don't worry about my spelling I seldom do. With this Auto spell check changing words and fingers to big for the pad I always have a few spelling errors.
That's ok we know what you are saying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page