Only one handgun - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:37 AM

glock 19. As cheap to shoot as a 22lr if you cast and load your own, powerful enough for hunting anything under about 50lbs, enough ammo capacity to make it a good self defense gun and small enough that its (barely) concealable. Very few guns out there as reliable. Only downside to the gun is you about have to be happy with 3 inch 25 yard groups as there not tack drivers and aren't going to win you many trophys. But there like a small block chev in that theres cheap parts everywhere to make them shoot better.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 10:49 AM

A strong frame revolver in a .357 with a 4 to 6" BBL. The .357 is easier to handle than the "big bores" and is just as useful for protection or hunting small and medium game at "pistol ranges" (IMO). It is also cheaper to reload than the larger calibers, especially with .38 special target loads. My .357 is a Dan Wesson 15H with a 6" BBL that I've had since the '70's.

Freedom is not free, but advice sure is!
post #13 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

I understand that way back in the frontier days one long gun and maybe a handgun was all many could afford. Iffen I were back in those days I might would play the one long gun only game but this ain't then and I can own more and do.

Playing both the handgun and long gun game you guys are I'd be tempted I guess to say my Rossi M92 in .357 magnum and my 6" S&W M66 also chambered in .357 magnum. Both also shoot .38s of course.

No way I'd chose a single shot anything limited to one. I'd also not chose a shotgun. One of my 22LR guns would be really tempting and I suppose could be used to collect food to deer size critters but ain't much for a self defense gun and back then and now both that would be important I believe.

Ask me which dozen I could get by with rather than which one.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
Playing both the handgun and long gun game you guys are I'd be tempted I guess to say my Rossi M92 in .357 magnum and my 6" S&W M66 also chambered in .357 magnum. Both also shoot .38s of course.
No way I'd chose a single shot anything limited to one. I'd also not chose a shotgun. One of my 22LR guns would be really tempting and I suppose could be used to collect food to deer size critters but ain't much for a self defense gun and back then and now both that would be important I believe.
The idea of one and done is why I chose my 22/45, but if a rifle could be thrown into the mix then I would consider my new to me Service Six .357 and a lever gun in the same caliber (next purchase on the list). Seeing as the .357 is new to me I haven't built that level of confidence yet. At this time my only rifles are 22lr bolt guns. So, things could change.

John

Deus regnat exultet terra. "God reigns exults earth"
Ante Omnia Armari "Before all else, be armed"
post #15 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

John, I really like my Ruger 22/45 and am able to shoot as accurately with it as with any of the guns I have with barrels in that length range. Mine has the 5" bull barrel on it. I had one of the real light weight ones that they first came out with and never was able to hit anything with it. If choosing a 22LR rimfire the 22/45 would be an excellent and relatively compact pistol to choose.

I've been shooting the .357 in both revolvers and rifles for I guess at least 50 years or more in the case of the handgun and back then I began with a S&W M19 which is the blued version of my M66 that I shoot these days. Other than the blued vs. stainless of them they are virtually identical so I have a very long history with it.

Both the M92 rifle and M66 revolver are guns I've owned a long time and have shot a lot. I have full trust in the guns and in the .357 cartridge. I have thousands of both .38 and .357 brass on hand and several molds to cast bullets that cast wadcutters, Lyman 358156 GC 160 grain, Lyman mold for the Keith bullets, two LBT molds at 160 and 180 grains and an RCBS 200 grain mold. I have way more than a life time worth of lead alloy on hand.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #16 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 08:24 PM

3.2 grains of W231 have been a favorite 38 special load for me, I figure those would take the place of 22 if only going with one handgun.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #17 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 11:18 PM

That's a rough one. It's gotta do everything, and be on my hip 16-18 hours a day. Probably my Glock 23. Take that one out of the choices, then it would be a Commander length 1911.

"...And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat." Acts 10:13
post #18 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 11:21 PM

It would be a lot easier if the question was what three handguns.......

That said, it would be a 4 inch S&W 29 or 629. I enjoy handgun hunting to much to limit myself to anything smaller, I handload, and can load anything from accurate bunny fart loads for the range on up to heavy big game hunting loads. While on the heavy side, a 4 inch N frame can certainly be carried for self defense (have done it quite a bit), and is accurate enough for hunting at reasonable handgun ranges.

Larry

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
post #19 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:42 AM
dcw

Default i have the one of my choice

a 38/357 DA revolver...

lead, follow, or get out of the way!
post #20 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 02:02 PM

A reliable 1911 in 45ACP with a quality 22 conversion for it...Nelson or Marvel probably.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page