Graybeard Outdoors banner

Poly 80

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Steve E 
#1 ·
Any Poly 80 (G17 or G19 style) owners here, and if so what has been your experience with them, Pic's maybe?

Steve..........

#2 ·
I have a G17 made in late 80's. I got it used a police trade in. It was well used. I got it to see how long it would hold up not crack. Condition - plastic is worn smooth. Slide is worn and is showing signs of finish color change. The barrel is well worn showing the most wear. First it shows where crossion was on the barrel and caused damage like pitto g in one area only deeper. Where the barrel moves through the end of the slide into lock up shows extreme wear. The best way to describe it is metal movement or upset. The barrel metal is worn down a lot as is the hole in the slide. Easy yo see . I would like to know how the gun shot before the wear but I do not. My guess is the wear has caused the gun to loose accuracy maybe a lot. At 15 yards it will hold a three inch group worth cheap ammo on a great day . It can be larger. I changed to a lone would bbl and it didn't help a lot.
With either bbl in battery you can move muzzle around easly. Maybe I should mention this gun only has two pins not three.

#7 ·
I can't believe I'm the only one on this web site that has one. I thought they were a little more popular than that. Guess people just aren't up to the challenge of some DIY projects anymore.

Steve............

#8 ·
Since most around here don't seem to have any experience with the Poly80 pistols you guys/gals should check out the Mar/Apr issue of American Handgunner. There is an article on building one. Hopefully it'll spark some interest around here and we can get some discussions going about them..

Steve..........

#10 ·
You can use anything from a Milling Machine all the way down to a hand file, a drill press, hand drill or a Dremel tool for the holes and a couple of punches. I think a lot of people use a Dremel tool or file and a hand drill. After my first one it took about 15 minutes to complete the second one. Don't waste your time in getting the lower as the 'Anti's' are always trying to close this avenue of getting a frame.

Steve........

#14 ·
Been shooting the snot out of both of my Poly 80's (G17 & G19 style). I think I like the G19 style the best. I can make regular hits on my 6 inch gong at 60 yds with either of them. Now I remember why I started using a progressive press several years ago, LOL. Both top ends were bought as complete slide assemblies from Rock Slide USA.

Steve........

#16 ·
my question is cost. Is it like a 80 percent ar15 lower which actually cost more then what you can buy a complete on for. I could care less about whether it has to have a serial number or not. If it gets so bad that there going door to door to get guns then we will be in the midst of a civil war anyway. Now if I could buy them for 30 bucks and put an hour of work into it and have something as good as id pay 50 bucks for complete it would make sense. But if it cost 50 bucks, takes an hours worth of work and is worth 30 bucks and cant even be legally sold 5 years from now if im bored with it, it just doesn't make sense to me. Kind of like reloading. I like to do it. But if I could buy ammo for 20 percent cheaper then what I could make it for myself it would be a no brainer.

#17 ·
This isn't a polymer 80 build but it's still cool. I bought this old 2 pin G17 frame for $50. Alpha Wolf RMR cut slide. Threaded barrel, Suppressor height Night sights. Sniper Gray Cerakote done by me. All brand new stock Glock internals. Glock extended controls. Going to put a Holosun 507 on it or maybe the trijicon RMR. Depending on funds

Attachments

#18 ·
I guess for me it was part of working on it and finishing it out, maybe just a little bit of them (Gubmint) not coming after them (unless they read this) in the future and I just like tinkering with them for fun. Nice looking shootin iron ya got there Jack.
I think for a lot of people like me it's working on something yourself and completing the Poly 80's and having them shoot and function good. For some I'm sure it is something to do with thumbing their nose at the Gubmint.
It usually cost a little more to complete the kits than to buy a complete gun especially when you can get the 'Police trade ins'.
Me, I just enjoyed completing the projects and having them work. To each his own.

Steve..........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.