Model 1849 "Magnum" cartridge conversion? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Default Model 1849 "Magnum" cartridge conversion?

Hankering after a small revolver, and wanted a 1849 for a while now. But the power is a bit on the low side. I see that the 1862 is billed as a "pocket model" in .36, but I hear that the frames are bigger?

I was also wondering about conversions, as sometimes I just want to play around without a big clean up after.

I think a 62 with a 38 Spl conversion would be pretty cool if they are small, or maybe a 49 with something like a 32 H&R conversion. Has anyone tried it? Is there enough metal? Does cylinder length play into it?

On a side note, I've always wanted a Bearcat too, and just like pistols scaled to the smaller rounds. Saw one converted to .327 Federal on the Gunblast site

Profanity is a poor excuse for a proper education and logic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:38 AM

Same guy (John Gallagher) that did the one Boge Quinn has did a 32 mag bearcat for me. John Linebaugh did a couple in 327 too. I owned that 32 for two days. Went to my buddys house and his daughter fell in love with it and it never made it home. He also did a single six round top in 41 special for me that Jeff Quinn owns now. They were both cool but a lot of money just to say you did it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tactical lever View Post
Hankering after a small revolver, and wanted a 1849 for a while now. But the power is a bit on the low side. I see that the 1862 is billed as a "pocket model" in .36, but I hear that the frames are bigger?

I was also wondering about conversions, as sometimes I just want to play around without a big clean up after.

I think a 62 with a 38 Spl conversion would be pretty cool if they are small, or maybe a 49 with something like a 32 H&R conversion. Has anyone tried it? Is there enough metal? Does cylinder length play into it?

On a side note, I've always wanted a Bearcat too, and just like pistols scaled to the smaller rounds. Saw one converted to .327 Federal on the Gunblast site

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
Same guy (John Gallagher) that did the one Boge Quinn has did a 32 mag bearcat for me. John Linebaugh did a couple in 327 too. I owned that 32 for two days. Went to my buddys house and his daughter fell in love with it and it never made it home. He also did a single six round top in 41 special for me that Jeff Quinn owns now. They were both cool but a lot of money just to say you did it.
That's really cool! Big fan of Boge. I can imagine it would be spendy.

New barrel, new cylinder; kind of a one-off deal, and Bearcats themselves aren't cheap any more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:04 AM

that was 12 years ago and I think it was 1500 and I supplied the gun. Boge is good people. He and Jeff come up about every year to visit my buddy. Boge has a few of my guns including the nicest custom I ever had made. A oct barrel case hardened 4 in vaquero 500 Linebaugh that dustin built.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:44 PM

The 1862 cylinder is not long enough for .38 special, .38 S&W perhaps. Uberti in now producing an 1862 Pocket Police conversion chambered for .380 ACP. It was just announced so may not be easy to find but it looks interesting. The 1862 is the same frame size as the 1849 pocket, just with a rebated cylinder.

https://www.gunsweek.com/en/pistols/...ocket-revolver.

The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Last edited by coyotejoe; 04-17-2019 at 02:47 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
that was 12 years ago and I think it was 1500 and I supplied the gun. Boge is good people. He and Jeff come up about every year to visit my buddy. Boge has a few of my guns including the nicest custom I ever had made. A oct barrel case hardened 4 in vaquero 500 Linebaugh that dustin built.
Big fan of Jeff's as well.

I'm a sucker for octagon barrels. I see that Uberti makes a .44 Mag now with an octagon barrel....

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotejoe View Post
The 1862 cylinder is not long enough for .38 special, .38 S&W perhaps. Uberti in now producing an 1862 Pocket Police conversion chambered for .380 ACP. It was just announced so may not be easy to find but it looks interesting. The 1862 is the same frame size as the 1849 pocket, just with a rebated cylinder.

https://www.gunsweek.com/en/pistols/...ocket-revolver.
Saw that. Kind of pricey.

I think for now my 49 or 62 search will be put to the backburner. I will end up getting a 62 in .36 one day though.

I am kind of considering getting a Uberti Stallion in .38. Not quite as small as the BP gun IIRC, but a neat little gun regardless.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page