Let's do it again please: Woods defense gun in Brownie country - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Default Let's do it again please: Woods defense gun in Brownie country

Yeah, sorry, but my thoughts have evolved with age and there are new products out there.

As always, OC spray is the first thing I'd grab, and is thus on my strong side hip. Shooting a bear or mad mama moose does no one any good and so is a total last resort (of any species but especially brownies or moose where the authorities are going to run a telescope up every orifice you have in the aftermath).

But when hiking or bowhunting alone, I like a cross-draw or chest rig backup plan. So.... before I had carried either a 4" Redhawk .45 colt with 2 extra speedloaders, or a Witness Steel 6" Hunter 10mm with one extra mag. Both of these weighed roughly the same. Which is to say, too much.

Now that I'm getting older, (50 later this year), I recently went lighter and scored a 5.25" Springfield XDM in 10mm and currently have a chest holster on order from an ol' boy in Livingston. Just gonna carry the lone mag in the gun. If 16 rounds after emptying my OC can't set me on a different path from the critter, well then I'll just contribute to the natural cycle by giving up and becoming bear poop / fertilizer.

What holster and rig you got for this purpose and what's your age? And what's the cheapest deep-penetrating jacketed 180 or 200s I can get in .400, to reload with? Should I go FMJ or soft points? The brownies up here rarely get over 450 lbs, but still. Or should I go hardcast - how many rounds before they'd lead up my barrel?

Currently reloading: .30-'06, .280 Rem, 6.5x55, .260 Rem, .35 Rem, .357 Max (subsonic handgun), .357 Max (supersonic handgun), .357 Mag (supersonic rifle), .243 Win, 5.56x45 (subsonic rifle), .45 Colt, 10mm, 9x19 (& .50 Cal ML)

Currently shooting but not reloading: .458 Win mag, .375 HH Mag, 5.56x45 (supersonic), .223 Rem, .17 HMR, .22 mag, .22lr, 12 ga, 20 ga, manual bows, vertical X-bows

Used to reload: 6.5-'06, .218 Bee, .45-70 Gov't, .270 Win, .22 Reed Express (& .45 Cal ML)

Last edited by Jussie Mangum Brawley; 04-24-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

When I hiked and hunted in brown bear county, I carried a Colt 1911 .45 ACP in a GI holster on a GI belt. Usually cross draw. Age=73. I wouldn't use anything but fmj to get through the fat layer. The one brown bear I helped take had eight inches of fat. Bullets for thin skinned game just blew up in the fat although they knocked the 850 lb bear over each shot. It took a 220 gr Silver Tip to penetrate and kill the bear.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:09 AM

When I lived in Alaska I carried a 454 casule in a El Paso Saddlery tanker shoulder holster. I also carried a colt 1911 in 10mm sometimes if I wanted to conceal my firearm, in a inside the waste band holster.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:14 AM

If I lived in or frequented big brownie country, I'd just get a 480 Alaskan and be done with it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 04:30 PM

If you are going to use a 10 mm, consider hard cast semi wad cutters. I believe either the RCBS 170 gn Keith Style, cast hard or up to a 200 gn LBT style flat nose. I would not use soft points. If you can find 180 to 200 gn fmj flat nosed slugs you should fare as well as you would with hard cast. Flat nosed slugs, either fmj or hard cast should penetrate deeply enough for bear defense. The first time I used a 40 caliber on bear, it was a 250 lb black bear at about 25 yds. I hit him once broadside through the chest, the 170 gn swc I used literally cut a square hole through both sides of his chest and through the of of his heart. He spun, ran and then piled up. For me, the flat nosed slugs work just the way they should - stay on course, penetrate straight on through and leave more than one hole to leak from. Have fun.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:36 PM

I sure hear a lot of good about the 10 mm, that's for the post.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_225 View Post
When I hiked and hunted in brown bear county, I carried a Colt 1911 .45 ACP in a GI holster on a GI belt. Usually cross draw. Age=73. I wouldn't use anything but fmj to get through the fat layer. The one brown bear I helped take had eight inches of fat. Bullets for thin skinned game just blew up in the fat although they knocked the 850 lb bear over each shot. It took a 220 gr Silver Tip to penetrate and kill the bear.

I never carried in Brown B. country,but here in Oregon where you could possibly run into a hongery Black Barr,I like the FMJFP for max penetration. Especially if I'm packin my 38 special in the woods.I also have some hand loaded SWC hard cast that would do the job I think, if I did mine with placement. The flat meplat on a fmj round will do better at plowing straight ahead in an animal than a round nose bullet.

Against the big cats and now wolves we now have to worry about,any sd load will stop the threat. Just three S them.

I don't think of myself as a staunch Republican or Democrat.
I am a Christian and a Conservative...........In that order!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

I now live on Mt Hood across from a wilderness area and if I didn't have this heart stuff going on I'd think about hiking there like I did a few years ago. Just gave my son the 1911, but I'd carry my Ruger NMBH convertible with either the .45 ACP or the LC cylinder. Wouldn't worry with either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page