Bought a used firearm (with issues) - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Default Bought a used firearm (with issues)

Hello, this seemed like the best forum for me to ask my question. I purchased a firearm from an online auction site from a seller who has very good feedback. The firearm was listed as used so I knew that going in. When I received it through my ffl the first thing I noticed was that it didn't have a magazine. I reached out immediately to the seller and let him know about it to which he replied "I sold it as used and didn't mention that it had a magazine. I also noticed that the trigger wouldn't release the firing pin every time you pulled it but I held off on telling him that until I got a chance to shoot it. Saturday, sure enough I discovered that I was correct about the trigger. I sent the seller a detailed email and asked him to pay for at least part of the shipping charges to Hi-point (please no Hi-point hate) for warranty work which of course they will do at no cost. Based on his initial response about the magazine I don't hold out too much hope for help but we shall see. He says that it was part of an estate sale and he was reselling it. I buy tons of stuff online and the main three categories are "new, used, non-working or for parts". Am I wrong for expecting a firearm sold as used to be complete (including magazine) and functional (I know the answer)? My only recourse may be the threat of negative feedback (which I have never been forced to do before out of many hundreds of transactions online). If this were one of y'all would you hold that over his head if need be?

Thank you for reading this!

NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:26 PM

Gun Cabinet

yeap give him a negative he should of test fired it and thrown in a mag at least, the guy not acting in good faith to me
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:34 PM

Yeah I would hold it over his head. He's a cheat in this case.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:07 PM

I definitely wouldn't be happy about the magazine. He may not have known about the trigger. No Hi Point hate here, but by the time you paid shipping and an FFL transfer, how much did you really save over the cost of a new Hi Point? I'm not a pistol guy, but I know Hi Point isn't the cream of the crop and new ones seem pretty affordable. He should pay for the magazine if he didn't mention it was missing.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:15 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

one of the many reasons i won't buy a firearm i can't
see and handle in person beforehand.

give 'em a bad review since it's well deserved.

". . didn't mention that it had a magazine. . ."
what a cheating blankety blanker. . .

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:41 PM

Gun Cabinet

I for one am very careful about on line sales as I was burned once but by the good grace of TC they took care of the damage although it was not their fault all the seller said was not broken when shipped not my problem in a way it was as it was poorley packed.

I just noticed that you are not too far from me

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's replies. The gun was actually a Hi-point carbine (sorry but I didn't see a good place on the rifle forum to ask this) and the price (gun, shipping, plus transfer fee) was good enough (about 35% off of new) for me to feel good about the deal. I have been a member of this forum for 13 years and value the opinions of the good folks here (traded with many of you) so I knew I'd get solid advice. I will call him tomorrow and give him a chance to do the right thing before I leave negative feedback. I think I have actually bought from him once before.

Thanks again!!

NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:07 PM

Gun Cabinet

I buy some firearms on Gunbroker and so far have never been burned. If there were pictures of the rifle (most likely) and it was positioned as to show an empty mag well and you didn't ask about it I lean toward shame on you. If the pics don't show the empty mag well and he doesn't list it as no mag, shame on him. Any gun listed "as is" leaves the buyer without much recourse as to the guns ability to function. Negative feedback on Gunbroker carries a lot of weight with other buyers/sellers and should be used carefully. I would contact him and try to come to terms. I can't believe he would want negative feedback over the few dollars you're dealing with. $15 for a mag or $20 for shipping. Just my .02

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:12 AM

I had a 40 carbine. Gave it to my neighbors kid and I don't know how many thousand rounds later the rails the bolt slid on got galled up. He called highpoint and high point sent him a prepaid shipping label and returned the gun with new rails and a free magazine. Guns still going strong and round count on that thing is counted by full coffee cans of ammo not boxes. Don't feel you have to defend your self for choosing a high point carbine. Ive had guns that cost twice as much that didn't run like that carbine.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:57 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I have lots of gunbroker purchases and never got burnt until recently. The guy has had my money for 3 weeks and i got no scope. He won't reply to emails or answer phone calls. The only "F" feedback that I have given in near 800 auctions.

I would be demanding with him. He should both pay to have the gun fixed and supply you with a new magazine.

I have a barrel in my basement full of reject firearms that I have acquired through my buddies gun shop over the years. Most of them can be fixed but aren't really worth the time or effort. I did a lot of his gun work for him and if he took a lemon in on trade that had metal to metal wear. The last thing on our mind was to sell it on an auction sight or take it to a gun show. It's really frustrating when people pass on problem guns as though they were in working order!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in