Stopping power, caliber, speed ? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Default Stopping power, caliber, speed ?

Stopping power, caliber, speed..do you think you have it all figured out? I thought I had a good handle on it, until I saw this video.

This man called Lucky Gunner..visits the design engineers at Federal..the guys who should know. Some interesting material...

No more chatter, here is the video.. (12.5 min video)

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)

Last edited by ironglow; 06-26-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 08:57 PM

Gun Cabinet

yeah my water jug test 0f my 40 cal the other day show a better transphere of energy
time 4:35
Old 06-26-2019, 10:39 PM

I like Paul Harrell's home made targets more than ballistic gel myself. There are so many great bullets out there now - I've got hydrashocks in my new-to-me Elsie Pea, and I've overcome my previous bias against "sub" calibers for carry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2019, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

I enjoy Paul Harrel's videos too; he seems so competent and seems so authoritative as he offers his analysis.

..Plus, his test mediums seem to exhibit down to earth, common sense constructions.

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
Old 06-27-2019, 11:21 AM

Lucky gunner and Harrell both put out some good, thoughtful videos. I enjoy their no hype, intelligent manner.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

I paid special attention to that video, because it wasn't either Lucky Gunner or Paul Harrel's opinion. The video was addressed by the Federal engineers..who work at this every day.

I was surprised to learn that there is ballistic gel, and then there is ballistic gel..and not all gel is equal.. The video is worth a look by any shooter.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:48 PM

Ill just stick with the varmint test medium...
Old 06-27-2019, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule 11 View Post
Ill just stick with the varmint test medium...
That's good too, Mule.. What a given round does to a coyote or groundhog may be similar to what it does to other things. One very interesting how those Federal engineers made a point about the 2200 fps threshold.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:33 AM

I kind of cringe when I hear anything about handgun STOPPING power. The only thing I cringe more at is when people rate rounds by ft lbs of energy. Ive never had to stop a man with a handgun but have killed enough game with handguns to know that its rare you STOP anything. Ive seen buffalo keep eating after taking a shot behind the shoulder with a 500 Linebaugh and not even realize they were dead till they fell over 30 seconds later. Ive shot deer broadside with 475s 454s and 500s and had them run off and make a 100 yards or more. In that time period if it were a man he could have shot me over and over and over. I guess im a believer in shot placement not caliber. I hit in the central nervous system with 380 is better then a gut shot with a 500 smith. Ive shot into ballistic jell and into wet print and results are similar. What they don't shot is what happens if that bullet hits a bone. People have bones in them. Just like animals. Like animals people are of all sizes from 100 lb women to 300 lb men. I know im nit picking and to be honest jell is as good as anything if your looking for a way to grade what your shooting. I kind of (at least for myself) have a grasp on what works on deer because ive shot so many. The real test of a self defense bullet is something youd go to prison for if you gave it a real test.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Old 06-28-2019, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
I kind of cringe when I hear anything about handgun STOPPING power. The only thing I cringe more at is when people rate rounds by ft lbs of energy. Ive never had to stop a man with a handgun but have killed enough game with handguns to know that its rare you STOP anything. Ive seen buffalo keep eating after taking a shot behind the shoulder with a 500 Linebaugh and not even realize they were dead till they fell over 30 seconds later. Ive shot deer broadside with 475s 454s and 500s and had them run off and make a 100 yards or more. In that time period if it were a man he could have shot me over and over and over. I guess im a believer in shot placement not caliber. I hit in the central nervous system with 380 is better then a gut shot with a 500 smith. Ive shot into ballistic jell and into wet print and results are similar. What they don't shot is what happens if that bullet hits a bone. People have bones in them. Just like animals. Like animals people are of all sizes from 100 lb women to 300 lb men. I know im nit picking and to be honest jell is as good as anything if your looking for a way to grade what your shooting. I kind of (at least for myself) have a grasp on what works on deer because ive shot so many. The real test of a self defense bullet is something youd go to prison for if you gave it a real test.
If you watched the video, you have found that the engineers at Federal backed up much of what you say. They claim the big difference between a handgun and rifle is the speed.

At the speed of 2200 fps there seems to be a transition from temporary wound cavity, to a permanent wound cavity. At rifle speeds, hydrostatic shock takes over.

Watching videos of animals being hit with high speed rounds, you will see a puff of vapor escape at the time of the hit. That is liquid nearly vaporizing from the the permanent wound cavity. At least I read it that way....

The vapor is clearly seen with some of these shots.. In fact the opening shot shows vapor escaping.

Last edited by ironglow; 06-28-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in