9mm 147gr verses (3) water jugs, with drilled out hollow point silicone filled - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default 9mm 147gr verses (3) water jugs, with drilled out hollow point silicone filled

well that was a lame result i thought it would open up a lot more and stop in the 3rd jug? subsonic 9mm rounds are less expansion then i thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 10:06 AM

I don't think that 147 gn slug expanded, I think it was the pressure in the jug that blew out the side of the jug. 147 gn slugs from a 9mm don't really move that fast to expand as they should, they penetrate more than expand. Also, I feel the silicone filling retards expansion, not enhances it. I shoot a 147 gn cast truncated .356 diameter slug from my 38 Super at around 1140-1150, and don't look for expansion but penetration. I'll bet that if you can load a 155-158 gn .356 cast slug in your 9mm, at about only 1,000'/sec, you will see even more penetration.
I tested 200 gn Keith style semi-wadcutters over 3.8 gn of WW231 for only 700'/sec from my snub nosed 38, not looking for expansion but penetration and the load penetrated and exited 6 one gallon milk jugs filled with water (taped together, capped and taped again), all together about 6 feet of water. Well, the dang slug shot through all the jugs and splashed down in my pond about 100 yds away. I use this slug as both a defensive load in my snub nosed 38 as well as a big game load in my 357 for the same purpose, bone busting penetration. I have found that expansion and a 'organ destroying' capability or potential doesn't work on wild game animals or anyone so hopped up on drugs that they do not know they have been shot. Even Whitetail deer shot through the heart with a 30-06 can run up to 100 yds or even more. Some druggie with a knife can still keep coming and stick ya twice in about 1.5 seconds before (possibly) collapsing but shot through with a bullet that busts up their bone structure brings them down. It's a hoot watching you shoot on your U-tube videos although sometimes I wonder what the point is that you are trying to make. If you and your buds want a fun time, sometime, collect some 'uninjured' clay pigeons from the nearest trap or skeet range, set them up at 300-500 yds and have a go at them until they are all busted up too small to see and hit at those distances. Out where you shoot it should make for a lot of dust and fun.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 04:32 PM

Some of those 147s are pretty dang hot. Not to be used in just any 9mm pistol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 06:52 PM

" set them up at 300-500 yds and have a go at them"?

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
" set them up at 300-500 yds and have a go at them"?
dont give me that idea
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 02:44 PM

I guess we have all done it, maybe started with 22's over fresh plowed ground, see how far they really go, see if we can arch them in at distance, probably cause many of us were given bow and arrow and told to not shoot our eye's out.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

brass plate ended up to being brass jacket and thicker then i thought sanded it down and trim the nose down this new on to the left its a 132 grain now i think next test comming soon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page