replacing my two truck guns - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

About all theyd get out of mine is 50 cents in the cup holder. Truthfully it wasn't till about 20 years ago when a guy up here had to lock his truck in the Walmart parking lot. When I was a teenager you could probably walk through a parking lot and half the cars in it had keys in the ignition. Even now when im at the store in my small home town I rarely take out the keys in the jeep. I take them out of the truck though because the dog pushes the door lock button all the time when hes left in it. Its kind of like camp. My Dad had three locks on every door and bars made for the windows. Someone came and took a sledge hammer to the front door and got in and trashed it. No doubt because they figured if it was locked up that secure there must be something worth stealing. Since he turned it over to me the bars are off and we don't even lock the doors when we aren't there. Someone wants in have at it. most valuable thing in it is a used 200 dollar tv and a bunch of deer horns. Not worth a broken window or a bashed in door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
Two words... Welded bolts.

All you can hope for is to keep Folks honest inspire of them selves.

I installed on all our work trucks. My brother had kids take his for joy ride in Wisconsin one summer. Got it back next day. His cash and personable where SAFE AND SOUND within that safe. I WELDED beads front & Back. But frankly donít think they even knew it was there.

CW

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 07:18 AM

When I think "truck gun", I usually think a compact 22LR or 22 mag rifle, to deal with that occasional woodchuck, coon or coyote. Then it will not be visible to

prying eyes.

State laws differ, but you can just about bet that if your gun was stolen , while not being held under strict security..anybody or any family who was injured or killed by

it, will be coming after you, if you have anything to lose ! It's likely they can't get anything from the thief !

If I HAVE to go to a city, I may well carry it..but that is CARRY it. While I am driving it may be on the seat beside me, hidden under some type of cloth !

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)

Last edited by ironglow; 02-29-2020 at 01:23 PM.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 10:30 AM

Lots of opinions here. Seems if the bad guy only breaks one or two laws while stealing your property you are in trouble. But if he trespasses and breaks in to your vehicle, and then cuts the cable on the safe and breaks into that, he may be to blame. Why is that different then just breaking in to your house and stealing a gun?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-29-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Duck View Post
Lots of opinions here. Seems if the bad guy only breaks one or two laws while stealing your property you are in trouble. But if he trespasses and breaks in to your vehicle, and then cuts the cable on the safe and breaks into that, he may be to blame. Why is that different then just breaking in to your house and stealing a gun?
Yes, lots of opinions here, but the courts don't consider opinions from John Doe, that we may have received.

Spruce offered some sage advice, when he said : Check your local and state laws, don't believe what someone "tells you".

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 09:40 AM

I have this metal.box with a cable to lock a gun in
. Wrap the cable around the seat strut . These boxes now come with NAA mini revolvers . Before I had a safe that bolted to the floor with a simplex lock. Before that I had an electrical disconnect box with a locking cover I cleaned out and bolted to the truck behind the seat. It is not so hard to make the effort to secure a gun. A cable and lock would work
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 09:44 AM

Cutting a cable is not as easy as you think . More so if you place it so a cutter can't get to it easy
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Why is that different then just breaking in to your house and stealing a gun?
It is absolutely no different. Id bet 90 percent of the people here have a home defense gun that isn't locked up. Not one bit harder to break a window in your house and go in then to break the window in your car and get in. As to locking them in a box or with a cable. If it makes you feel better that's your call but to me its about like putting a lcp in an ankle holster and putting a trigger lock on it and sticking the key in your pocket.

post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 08:01 PM

My daughter-in-law applied for her CC permit, so she took a course with the Ironsight gun instructors. She was given an extra entry for free, so I attended even

though I taught hunter safety for years. I have had my CC since 1973, without having taken a class. I just wanted the 'extra awareness'.

Areas differ, but here in blue dominated NY State, you can rest assured the rules will be stupidly restrictive. https://ironsightllc.com/contact-us.html
According to NY rules;

The solid safety steel box under the seat is considered taking proper precautions, anything less is not, particularly if it is in plain sight !

Even in the home the gun should not be lying around in plain sight...

Other observations... A handgun is frowned upon more than a rifle or shotgun..unless that rifle is one of those dreaded "assault rifles"..

Hiding a gun in a reasonably concealed place.. such as a hidden shelf or hidden in a very unobtrusive niche.... is generally considered OK !

Just remember, in most states, the city politicians design and pass the laws...so look for stupidity concerning guns..

I keep a Smith 642 in a box in my closet, that is filled with cloth material..but when I am in bed, it is on the stand beside my bed. Probably an overkill,

since nobody around here locks their doors during the day and many not at night.

I noted earlier in this thread that somebody suggested that a crook would desire a fancy sound system more than a hand gun, because the sound

system is more expensive. According to Ironsight instructors..poor thinking. Anyone who is crook enough to break into your truck, would go for

the gun. It would be easier to grab and run..and it can be used to gain a lot more money, than a sound system is worth. An investment, if you will !

At least, that is what I recall hearing him say ..

Last edited by ironglow; Yesterday at 07:33 AM. Reason: Add info
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

theres no one that will tell me what I can have laying around in my home. Ive never seen a law that said that and if I did id be packing up my belongings and moving that week to a state that wasn't so communist. Sheriff stopped by to visit last week and there was probably 5 guns in plain view just in the living room. His only reaction was to check out the new ar15 pistol I just built that was propped up against the safe. Gun getting stolen from my truck? Like ive said about the only time its locked is when we go to one of the two bigger towns (no citys around here) and the wife goes to Walmart of something like that. Ive never had a vehicle broke into and don't know of a single buddy who has either. This isn't south side Chicago or battery park! Come fall probably half the vehicles on the road have a gun in them.

post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
theres no one that will tell me what I can have laying around in my home. Ive never seen a law that said that and if I did id be packing up my belongings and moving that week to a state that wasn't so communist. Sheriff stopped by to visit last week and there was probably 5 guns in plain view just in the living room. His only reaction was to check out the new ar15 pistol I just built that was propped up against the safe. Gun getting stolen from my truck? Like ive said about the only time its locked is when we go to one of the two bigger towns (no citys around here) and the wife goes to Walmart of something like that. Ive never had a vehicle broke into and don't know of a single buddy who has either. This isn't south side Chicago or battery park! Come fall probably half the vehicles on the road have a gun in them.
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of guns visible in homes in my neighborhood, especially long guns. The Ironsight trainer was teaching in a neighboring

county which has a sizeable city. Most laws are made by cities within a county, or by the state, and don't take into consideration how rural culture contrasts

with their city culture !

BTW... It is easy to tell somebody else to just "pick up and move"! ...But I think many will bear quite a bit of stupid state sponsored political moves,

before they are willing to abandon friends, family, investments, their own hunting acreage etc, before they just 'pick up and go"..

especially if they only have a few years left, at best.

Last edited by ironglow; Yesterday at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page