357 max vs 357 mag - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

I neck size bottle necked cartridges, never considered straight walled pistol cartridges. I guess you use a decapping die and then leave your die screwed out far enough to resize to just hold the bullet? Or are you using a fat lead boolit that is snug in a fired case?

Rosewood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 01:34 PM

You want as fat a lead bullet as possible to fill the all important throat dia. of the chamber, preferably you can source/make bullets that fit perfectly in that fully fire-formed 'neck' (I use this same methodology for all cartridges shooting cast) but if all you can get is a smidge too small to just snugly fit (while chambering up and extracting cleanly) the a bit of crimp or even some neck sizing (best with a Lee Collet Neck Size Die that you can adjust to just right) to hold whatchagot may do.
Tip: if the bullets you have drop right into the fully fire-formed case neck they are, for sure and certain, too small a dia.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
...the a bit of crimp or even some neck sizing (best with a Lee Collet Neck Size Die that you can adjust to just right) to hold whatchagot may do.
I have Lee Collet dies for rifles, but didn't know they made one for the max or mag???

Right now, I have just been playing with j-word bullets in the mag and max, but will probably start trying out some of my cast 160s and 206s for fun. Will be a good learning experiment.

Thanks,

Rosewood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:27 AM

The collet dies are limited in caliber and not in pistol calibers, but I often mention them in threads like this because they just, plain work.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

I agree. I love them. Lee doesn't make one for the 7-30 waters. I realized the 7-30 trim to length is just 0.005" longer than the 7mm-08. So I have been using the 7mm-08 collet neck sizer on the waters with nary a problem.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 01:00 AM

Gcrank friends and I use 360DW brass and the longer brass make for a more accurate round when you have a barrel with a long lead. Many 357 mag chambers are 1.45 long and the 360 DW usually runs about 1.42 or so and it works well in Contenders and handi rifles we have tested it in.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stacy View Post
Gcrank friends and I use 360DW brass and the longer brass make for a more accurate round when you have a barrel with a long lead. Many 357 mag chambers are 1.45 long and the 360 DW usually runs about 1.42 or so and it works well in Contenders and handi rifles we have tested it in.
The 360 DW will not chamber in my .357 mag barrel. Probably 1/16" from closing. This is a new barrel if that matters. I think it was made in early 2015 (I had to wait on it from S&W).

So far, seating the 180 XTP to 1.800" in the mag I am getting better accuracy and a tad more velocity than with the 10" max barrel with max brass seated to 2.000" with 1 grain more of H110. Noticeable more muzzle flip with the max, but it is clearly lighter and a shorter barrel is probably to blame. No pressure signs in either one.

Rosewood
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 01:22 PM

Interesting thread, I'm in a similar boat myself.

I just picked up a CVA Scout pistol with a 14" .357 Magnum barrel, which also came with a new PTG .357 Maximum reamer and Max brass/ammo. The CVA is brand new, and I haven't checked to see how long the chamber is. My debate is whether or not to ream it out to Max, but I do want to get some .360 DW brass and see if it will chamber. Ideally, I would like to shoot 180gr XTPs to 200gr hardcast lead bullets.

"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 02:39 PM

Just trim back a stick of the Max brass to 360 length but start checking the brass fit in the chamber as you go so you KNOW for sure and certain the maximum length of brass that fills up the chamber but be aware that may change up a bit when the case is fully fire-formed to the chamber. Just recheck after a test load. For example, 360DW brass as received fits right in mine, fire form it and I have to trim it back a tad (or putting a bit of taper crimp on might make it slip in). I dont want to have to even 'neck size' the brass to hold a too small a dia. cast bullet!
You could also whittle/file a dowel stub to be a slide in fit until it bumps up against the leade, or whatever, up front, mark it and measure that as a max case length. Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Last edited by gcrank1; 09-29-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page