Contender .221 Fireball - any experienced shooters out there?? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Default Contender .221 Fireball - any experienced shooters out there??

Hey all -
just bought my first new Contender barrel in some years - .221 Fireball... was leaning towards a commercially available cartridge, but have always liked the tradition of this round being specifically designed for specialty pistols, so I gave in.
Anyway - just looking for any feedback and/or load recommendations for this round in a Contender, I probably won't get around to load development for a month or two. Will primarily be a target and light predator gun. Always appreciate any insight!
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 04:21 PM

Default Contender .221

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey all -
just bought my first new Contender barrel in some years - .221 Fireball... was leaning towards a commercially available cartridge, but have always liked the tradition of this round being specifically designed for specialty pistols, so I gave in.
Anyway - just looking for any feedback and/or load recommendations for this round in a Contender, I probably won't get around to load development for a month or two. Will primarily be a target and light predator gun. Always appreciate any insight!
Randy
Randy, Yours may be an Octagon barrel. Some were. I'd establish the rifling twist; then likely choose a good 50gr bullet. You may as well scope it. You should need a Weaver 92a base. There is a Bushnell 2--6x in the Optics now and they are an excellent value. Buy it. You'll need rings to mate with the Weaver base.
As to loading, 4198 is a noted choice but likely H322 would do well. Don't punch it into a .223, please. Recoil is mild. RP
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 02:32 AM

The 221 Fireball is a wonderful round once you find the load your barrel likes. I have no experience with a pistol barrel but have a Contender carbine barrel and an Encore rifle barrel in 221. My accurate load uses a 53 GR Sierra Match King and Lil Gun powder, lit by a Remington 7 1/2 primer. Good shooting!
FM

Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 12:01 PM

Gun Cabinet
Default Furball

I have a couple of 221 Fireball barrels. One is a 10 inch Octagon barrel that is an old original barrel. The other is a 23 carbine barrel. Both of them shoot great. I use them while shooting prairie dogs and ground hogs. I use H4198 in both barrels and they both use Sierra 50 Blitzking bullets and will do the job if I do my part. Little to no recoil and just pure fun. What's not to like about the Furball.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Support the NRA-ILA
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 11:03 PM

I have a couple, 14" Contender & 22" Encore both from the Custom Shop. They are great shooters, I use 40 V Max with A2200. For heavier bullets I switch to a 223 barrel.

Its an easy task to form cases from range pick up 223. Hardest part of the job is cutting the case off but motorized cutters are cheap these days. My 2 TC barrels do not require neck turning.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 10:52 AM

My Contender barrel had done well with Lil Gun and 40gr V-Max's or Nosler BT's. Both shoot almost exactly the same. One of my favorite cartridges.

If I plan on using it to hunt fur, I go up to a 50 or 55gr bullet and H335. Slows it down enough that I don't get big exit holes.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 02:04 AM

I have a 14" MGM 221 FB and I use AA1680/50 sierra blitz and it will top 2800 and drop coyotes at 200 yards very nicely. My old 10" bull, wish I still had that barrel, would shoot the same load 2725,chronographed, and shoot sub 1" groups at 100. In my opinion the best 10" 22CF TC made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page