New soon to the 7mm TCU - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Default New soon to the 7mm TCU

Purchased a used 14 barrel and a set of Redding dies this evening. Just looking for something different to learn about.
I am planning on starting out by fire forming 223 brass.
The only other time Ive done this is with the 7-30 Waters and 30-30 brass. I was surprised how well they did and hope this venture goes as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:38 AM

I recommend using 2400 and IM4227. You get good velocities, almost as much as rifle powders and less muzzle blast, and slightly reduced recoil. H110 works also, but I never got the accuracy with it that I did with the other 2. Your results may vary as I did my work with a 10" barrel though.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Default New soon to the 7mm TCU

Will give it a try with those powders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:40 AM

I hunted with a 14" 7mm TCU for years. I tried many powders like IMR 4198, H322, IMR 4227, IMR3031 and finally settled on IMR 4895 with a 140 grain Nosler BT. It would hold 100 yard 1.25" groups all day. I had a 2X Leupold mounted, even with that a 3", 5 shot group at 200 yards was the norm. Sighted in at 100 yds, the impact was 10" low at 200 yds. At 200 yrs. I used a 9" paper plate for a target, I would quarter the plate with the reticle and squeeze off. I took an 80 yard shot on a 4 point muley head on in the upper chest, when we skinned the deer the perfectly mushroomed bullet fell out of the hide in the flank area. The deer was dead by the time I got to it, it never moved out of it's tracks. We were hunting at 5600 ft. with 40 mph winds, 18 inches of snow in a blinding snowstorm, my buddy was about 60 yards away and never heard the shot, he came walking up, whispered "did you see anything", I pointed to a mound of snow on the ground. It was 9:30 in the morning, got the deer to camp at 9:00 that night. There is a lot more to this story, like my wool weighing 70 lbs. covered in ice, my buddies rifle action completely covered with ice, had to set it by the fire, let the ice melt before he could unload the rifle and a horse packer rounding a corner on the trail when the horse he was riding spotted my deer laying just off the trail, spooked and bucked one mad rider into the Mad River. That was 37 years ago and seems like yesterday.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:09 AM

Gun Cabinet

This is why I follow the forum.
Thanks, guys!

Think twice, shoot once...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:51 PM

Gun Cabinet

Late to see you post, but I have had good success with A2230 powder.

Wonder is the beginning of wisdom. -Anonymous

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page