Contender Caliber Confusion - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Default Contender Caliber Confusion

It is my understanding that a contender cannot shoot higher pressure rifle loads. Yet everyone seems to shoot a 223 Remington, which has a SAAMI spec pressure of 52,000. My Speer manual limits their 454 Casull loads to 45,000. Why couldn't I use those 454 loads? Please, no flaming, honest question!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 11:23 AM

It has to do with the case head size. The smaller cases have more steel surrounding them, thus more pressure allowed. Not so for the 454.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 12:05 PM
SEM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrstyk View Post
It has to do with the case head size. The smaller cases have more steel surrounding them, thus more pressure allowed. Not so for the 454.

I went through this too, Like Fyrstyk stated not enough steel, It was explained to me like this, The case head diameter acts like a hammer the bigger the hammer the greater the effort, Contenders just don't have the mass to take a BIG hammer, I know not very technical but its what I got
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I guess I understand that. I suppose that's why you could have all of the JDJ calibers as well. They are all bottleneck rifle calibers. Makes sense.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:35 PM

Gun Cabinet

Actually both these guys are right and they are both wrong at the same time.

I don't fully understand it myself, but it has to do with the amount of pressure generated by the cartridge and the diameter of the case head. Take for instance the 45/70 is a very low pressure cartridge but has a large case and head diameter. Somehow that works, because like SEM said the larger hammer with the larger amount of force exerted against the breach face. But a high pressure cartridge with a large case head diameter exerts too much push back on the frame. The smaller case diameter even though it has more pressure has less diameter to contact the breach face, so there in has much less pushback because of the size of the case head. It all has to do basically with the more push back on the frame, the more it is apt to stretch the frame along the top of it. That is why the G2 with it's support on the sides of the frame along the top will allow a somewhat higher pressure level cartridge to be fired the the original Contender. If you were to produce a test that would measure pushback on cartridges you would discover that the smaller head diameter of the 223 although a higher pressure round does not have the pushback that the 45/70 has because of the pressure variance.

I hope that this makes a little since to you, and perhaps does not make it even harder to understand.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Support the NRA-ILA
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies to everyone. Not being a scientist, ballistics can get very confusing! Interesting discussion, and I guess I see vaguely what it all means.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 09:31 AM

Gun Cabinet

The design of the case, not only it's size, is also a strong factor of consideration.
The .375 Winchester for example operates at 50,000 cup, well above the frames tolerance but the design of the brass, having never been a black powder one sufficiently contains enough of the pressure and sparing it from the chamber's jeopardy.
... or so as is my understanding.
I am certain to receive clarification of this theory.

Think twice, shoot once...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page