Learning to shoot the Contender - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default Learning to shoot the Contender

So, I've been out a couple of times with my new to me Contender and I'm wondering how everyone is gripping these things. I've mostly been shooting off the bench concentrating on trigger control but need to start working with field positions also.

Clearly I can not hold this the same way I hold a revolver, but what is the generally accepted way to hold one? Where should me left hand be?

Should I rest the forend close to the hinge pin or further out on the forend?

Overall I'm happy so far, from the bench the 100yd steel plate is no problem but that is a far cry from being out in the woods.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 07:08 PM

When woods walking with my Contender, I put my left hand on the forearm and right hand holding the grip braced against the inside of my fully extended left arm. It is a pretty solid hold for me, but your mileage may vary.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:26 PM

I had an Encore. I used two hands and a rest in the blind or on the bench. As heavy as that thing was always used a forearm rest be it a limb in the tree or something that I left for the purpose in the blind.

Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns and Single shot rifles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:17 PM

I am typically standing when I hunt with my contender but you can use the same method when sitting too. I also carry a walking stick that is about 5' tall. So I will hold the walking stick and lay the contender over the arm gripping the walking stick. Or I will sometimes do the same by leaning against a tree. I have taken deer out to 100 yards using this stance.

Jim

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those Who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 08:34 AM

In general, the closer to the hinge you put the rest, the better. However, for minute of deer accuracy, it really doesn't make that much difference. I always have to rest mine on something. In my walking days, I used the fore stated walking stick method, or a fence post, tree, or whatever I could find. Now days I'm mostly in my tree stand w/ shooting rail.
Walt
PS If you're shooting a pistol scope for the first time, it will take some getting used to.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 11:24 PM

Gun Cabinet

When using a shooting stick, I rest the forend on the stick the same way I do when using a rest from the bench.....the stick/rest is about in the middle.

The last deer I took with my T/C, I had forgotten my stick. I took the deer with an 80 yard off-hand shot; left hand was grasping the forend, right hand on the grip with arms extended. Kind of like shooting a rifle, but without the stock.

Iíve also taken a deer using the more traditional two hand grip but at about 40 yards. This was a quick shot.....no time to grab or use my stick.

I prefer using the stick, but I found the second method I used to be pretty darn good.

Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in