New Contender in the Family! - Graybeard Outdoors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 8
Default New Contender in the Family!

Just thought Iíd share a few pics of my new to me Contender with Super 14 in 7-30 Waters!! Just shot for the first time last weekend to get it dialed in and it was a blast (no pun intended)! Already was a huge TC Encore fan and excited to add to the collection. Canít wait to get this one on the deer this Fall!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dgrimme1977.1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Member
 
gemihur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ridgelines of Virginia, Roanoke Valley
Posts: 754
Gun Cabinet
Default

It is my claim that more shooters are enlisted to the ranks of contender shooters by the use of the 7-30 Waters than an other cartridge.
With Ken Waters' development there is very little to improve upon and the performance of the contender with that cartridge is surprising to most people even today!
Off the bench, a set of legs really gives you some confidence. Your rest looks as though you don't need 'em, tho.
Fabulous setup, Congrats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-30 waters w target med.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	236156  


Think twice, shoot once...
gemihur is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:36 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 5
Default

Got my 7-30 waters back in 88' and it's still my favorite cartridge in a 14" barrel. Still looking to harvest my first buck with it but it has put a lot of venison in the freezer. Good luck with yours this season
Kylongrifle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemihur View Post
It is my claim that more shooters are enlisted to the ranks of contender shooters by the use of the 7-30 Waters than an other cartridge.
With Ken Waters' development there is very little to improve upon and the performance of the contender with that cartridge is surprising to most people even today!
Off the bench, a set of legs really gives you some confidence. Your rest looks as though you don't need 'em, tho.
Fabulous setup, Congrats.


Nice legs and group!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dgrimme1977.1 is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylongrifle View Post
Got my 7-30 waters back in 88' and it's still my favorite cartridge in a 14" barrel. Still looking to harvest my first buck with it but it has put a lot of venison in the freezer. Good luck with yours this season


Thanks KY same to you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dgrimme1977.1 is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 12:58 AM
Junior Member
 
Steve in PA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 37
Gun Cabinet
Default

Oh, I bet that muzzle break is going to make it loud!

I have a 14Ē barrel in 7-30 Waters.....awesome cartridge! Iíve taken a few deer with it over the last few years. Definitely gets the job done. Iíll b3 using it this year too, but Iím really hoping to christen the 14Ē in .44 Magnum. Iíve taken deer with the .44 Magnum in other handguns (Super Redhawk) but need to christen the T/C!

Steve
Steve in PA is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
Oh, I bet that muzzle break is going to make it loud!



I have a 14Ē barrel in 7-30 Waters.....awesome cartridge! Iíve taken a few deer with it over the last few years. Definitely gets the job done. Iíll b3 using it this year too, but Iím really hoping to christen the 14Ē in .44 Magnum. Iíve taken deer with the .44 Magnum in other handguns (Super Redhawk) but need to christen the T/C!

Guys they arenít loud at all when you wear hearing protection. I wear it now a days with any and all of my firearms., muzzle brake or not. Just makes good sense. The Walkers alpha 360 quad muffs are perfect when shooting and hunting. Helps to hear range commands clearly and work well at amplifying sounds in the woods. Happy hunting!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dgrimme1977.1 is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Goodview, VA
Posts: 2,070
Default

Love it, except for that "thingy" on the end of the barrel. Enjoy. 7-30 is a great round.
Walt
Hopalong7 is online now  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:58 AM
Member
 
gemihur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ridgelines of Virginia, Roanoke Valley
Posts: 754
Gun Cabinet
Default

Walt,
That 'thingy' unscrews and a thread protector is used when not in use.
If it were pinned also I'd usually have a buttstock attached.
It's a nice option for the bench, tho.
Thanks,
Jimmy

Think twice, shoot once...
gemihur is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 04:01 PM
Senior Member
 
DEACONLLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Green country Oklahoma
Posts: 4,335
Gun Cabinet
Default

I love my 7-30 in G2 rifle format killed a number of deer with it.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
DEACONLLB is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome