Graybeard Outdoors banner

Wanting to get started being a Contender owner

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  mag41vance 
#1 ·
I have been interested for many years but never pulled the trigger :eek: on being an owner.
I'm a successful handgun hunter, but want to give my prized .41 mag Redhawk to my Youngest(31 year old) son so he can enjoy it as I have. Before that Happens, I want to get a TC Contender/G-2. I haven't looked into it seriously before now. So honestly I'm not quite sure which direction to go. I won't be silhouette shooting, just plinking and Hunting.
I'm an experienced Reloader and look forward to the load finding journey.
My thoughts are to sell my 1950 Marlin 39A (graded @ 95%) to get my frame and at least one barrel.
I'm interested in any suggestions on how I might get where I need to be in this journey.
I'm older so my resources are mostly dedicated which is why I'm looking to sell by wonderful old Marlin 39A.
Any good guidance would be appreciated.

Always grateful, Vance

#9 ·
Years ago, I bought a 14” Contender in .357 Herrett and put a 2X Leopold scope on it. That was the best scope at the time. Lots of great pistol scopes out there. I replaced the wood grips with Pachmayr rubber grips and put a sling on for carrying and shooting. The sling is great as I can put it over my head and climb or ATV with the gun across my back. It attaches to the barrel in front of the forearm and to the bottom of the hand-grip where the bolt attaches. I gave the gun an aftermarket spring kit which improved it. I love the setup and have taken a ton of deer with it, My buddy has the same in 7mm Waters with similar results and an uncle with one in .35 Remington and both are happy with their choices. You will be happy with the Contender. When I first got it my hunting buddies thought I was handicapping myself as they were all shotgun hunters,- rifles were not an option at that time. They were wrong as one shot is all that is necessary.

#10 ·
Dont overlook the 44 mag, I love the heavy bullets. From the 240 to 300 grain work great in my 44's and provide heavy energy.

Dont get me wrong all the calibers listed above will work great, I am a big fan of heavier bullets and what they can do on deer and bear or anything else you want to hunt.

#11 ·
Made a trade with Vance this weekend to get him into the contender world. I just want everyone to know that I did warn him that it could become an addiction.😜
I found that I had accumulated 7 frames (buying complete guns because I wanted the barrels).
Vance, you will enjoy it I’m sure. I’ve never had a contender barrel that wouldn’t shoot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.