Contender find... - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
A great find! A month ago I bought my "last" Contender (#4), an amazing 4 digit (11xx) mint, looks unfired, with the .45 LC/410 barrel. It took all of my mad money but was worth it to me. Good luck with your Contender. I love these pistols!!
So you are saying that is the last you will buy, good luck on that thought or are you saying at this time it is the last that came into your possession? There is a word I think it is habit forming why do I know at one time I owned 18 pistols and 3 rifles sold all off except a rifle in 7x 30 waters but every time a barrel pops up on here I start getting the itch.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

I contacted Ed's TCs. They are willing to do a little horse trading. I'll be sending off my 45LC barrel for a 22LR barrel. I'll be looking forward to putting a few rounds down range.

I have a friend that had already offered to buy the Contender if I couldn't find anyone willing to swap barrels. Nope...

John

Deus regnat exultet terra. "God reigns exults earth"
Ante Omnia Armari "Before all else, be armed"
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-02-2020, 08:50 PM

They truly are a fine piece of machinery. Worth more than the vintners price...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-03-2020, 12:53 PM

I haven't had any dealings with Ed's (yet).
Will your .22RF barrel be octagon or round?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
I haven't had any dealings with Ed's (yet).
Will your .22RF barrel be octagon or round?
I am told it will be an octagon.

John

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Well reality sets in.... Ed's sent a fairly nice 22LR 10" octagon barrel in trade for my my barrel + $25 for shipping. It is NOT in as good a shape as the "excellent" scratch free 45LC/410 barrel I sent though, nor did it come with a weaver scope mount as they initially had stated in their Email.
As it is this barrel matches the frame for wear but it is disappointing that no attempt to match the barrel condition was made or offer an upgrade on another barrel even if I had to send another $25 or so. Maybe there just aren't any 22LR barrels in "new" condition out there.
I'm hoping the rifling is good although it looks shallow... I'm not sure if this is normal. Does TC use button rifling...? I'll be heading out to the range this weekend to check accuracy.
Things I need now... A scope rail... A wood fore end that will fit a 10" octagon barrel... instructions on how to remove the rear sight. I'll check youtube for the last one.

John

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 10:43 PM

You unscrew the elevation screw in the middle of the sight all the way be careful there is a spring under there that may tend to fly away, swing the sight all the way up some will flip all the way over and you can remove the screws that hold it to the barrel but being that it is a old barrel you will need to take a very small tip punch and drive the pivot pin out to get to the front screw. Once removed the scope base screw holes will be visible

Deaconllb

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 02:07 PM

John,
If you haven't already, contact Ed about the barrel condition and missing scope mount. Things happen.

I just checked my box of grips, plenty of bull barrel fore ends but no extra octagon.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Deaconllb... I'm well aware that "things happen". I can certainly deal with finding a scope mount. I had been talking to Paula via email setting up the trade for a barrel that had a scope mount but no rear sight. Somehow the barrel shipped had the rear sight but no rail. Not really worried there. I've also come to terms with the blemed finish. I now have a barrel I can use and I hope they can find someone looking for one like I sent them.
I've seen a couple forends available out on the net. One didn't show for sure that it was indeed an octagon forend and the other was priced a bit steep. Not being sure of what one should really go for I'll keep looking for now. I might have been foolish to pass it up but... the ugly plastic one fits and will work for now. Thanks for checking Anduril

John

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2020, 10:03 PM

The octagon for ends are getting hard to find and thus the higher price, I have seen them as high as $75. Did you ask Ed about one? another member that may have one is Datalot. Here is another contact this fellow sells on ebay and I have bought from him a number of times he has all things TC contender Encore and TCR his e bay user name is Cjstoilis he is out of Victoria Texas you can contact him through ebay and he has always got right back to me and I found his prices very fair and he will also look at a good offer

Deaconllb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page