Contender find... - Graybeard Outdoors
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Default Contender find...

I've been wanting a Contender for quite a while but the prices have continued to climb beyond what I had tucked away in the stash. I had even considered picking up just a frame then saving for a barrel.
Well today I was browsing through the cases at the LGS and spotted a lone Contender in the back of the case with a mismatched wood grip with a composite fore-end. The barrel is a 10" 45LC with what looks like a step tapered tube over the end. The tag on the gun said the barrel was ported but I saw no holes that would indicate it being ported, or maybe I didn't look hard enough. Price Tag read $205 ... I didn't hesitate, it is now on layaway. Looking up the SN at home (911xx) places it circa 1978. Ya Ya Ya, I know I should have taken pictures. It won't be on layaway long... I'll be looking for a 22LR or a 357 barrel as I have no other guns in 45LC and don't want to add another caliber to the collection at this time.

John

Deus regnat exultet terra. "God reigns exults earth"
Ante Omnia Armari "Before all else, be armed"

Last edited by Indigowolf; 02-22-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Looking this up on Gunbroker I am fairly sure that someone miss marked the whole gun for what the barrel alone would go for...

John

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 09:08 PM

That barrel may be one of the old shot shell barrels that shot a capsule full of shot and the thing on the end was like a choke to break the capsule and spread the shot they were made in 45 and 38 if I remember correctly but for what you paid you did just fine.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2020, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

first of a couple pictures....

John

Last edited by Indigowolf; 02-23-2020 at 06:25 PM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 07:39 PM

You obviously know a bargain when you see one!
Now, how good are you at horse trading?
Take that barrel & fore end off and walk the isles of some gun shows and see what you can find.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

I already made one attempt on Gunbroker for a trade on a 14" 22LR barrel (first choice). Seller listed to inquire about possible trade, so I did. Not a whole lot of gun shows around here.
Something will turn up. I have plenty of patience. I've waited 20 + years to find a deal like this. LOL

I have 30 days to test the gun out to be sure it is in working order... I'll likely pick up a few 410 shot shells to do so if I don't find another barrel by then.

John

Last edited by Indigowolf; 02-27-2020 at 09:39 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-27-2020, 10:12 PM

Does it say 410 on the barrel?
I had one back then (410/45 colt) and the recoil was certainly an attention getter.
The second worst recoiling handgun I've ever owned.

Deaconllb, what you were thinking of was the 44 magnum and 357 magnum shot-shells.
The capsules were round nosed and transparent blue and stuck out of the case more than an inch.

Those were proprietary cartridges made for TC.
The choke on those barrels were more designed to shred the capsules than as a choke.

One more thing, before shooting solid projectiles be sure to remove the choke otherwise the choke can be destroyed.

I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

No, the barrel only says 45LC. I'm not sure of the barrels history, as if it has been fired... The extension looks like a wrench has never touched it. I'll post more pictures....

John

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 07:32 AM

I have the exact same barrel. It is not designed to shoot .410's, but is for .45 w/ shot cup(hot shots). TC made the barrels in .357, .44, and .45 Colt, but only produced the "Hot Shot" capsules in .357 and .44. Speer still markets the .45 shot capsules however and they will work just fine in your barrel. A 2.5" .410 will chamber in my barrel, but a fired 2.5" case with the crimp opened up will not quite chamber. Great find.
Walt
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2020, 08:25 AM

Location: Massachusetts but we'll be moving to our retirement home in DownEast Maine once we sell here.

A great find! A month ago I bought my "last" Contender (#4), an amazing 4 digit (11xx) mint, looks unfired, with the .45 LC/410 barrel. It took all of my mad money but was worth it to me. Good luck with your Contender. I love these pistols!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in