45/70 leverlution in contender - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Default 45/70 leverlution in contender

That's the question, am I safe shooting factory leverlution loads in my TC? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 04:38 PM

To get the correct answer I would say give the manufacture a call; tell them what you have and they can say yes or no then you will know for sure. For my self and this is me I would not wont to shoot any factory brand of 45-70 in a contender an it does have a lot of recoil. The ammo you are asking about was designed to be used in modern leaver guns so you could use a pointed bullet and not have a firing of a round in the loading tube.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 02:34 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That's the question, am I safe shooting factory leverlution loads in my TC? Thanks

Under no circumstances would I do that. Like Deacon said that is made to fire in modern lever guns. I would hesitate to use it in a Ruger #1. I don't like firing it in my grandson's Marlin. If you check most reloading books suggest using loads for the old Springfield rifles in the Contender.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty." - Benjamin Franklin

“Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.” (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer’s hands.) – Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Support the NRA-ILA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 02:48 PM

As far as the Contender and 45-70 loads are concerned, only Trap Door level loads are recommended in the Contender frame. This was the answer I got directly from T/C many years ago.

As far as the Hornady Leverevolution ammo goes, I don't know if it's loaded to Trap Door levels or not. But I don't think it is. I do believe it's loaded to "lever action" levels, so rated for Marlin and Winchester (1886) strength and above.

I personally wouldn't shoot them in my Contender. But even smokeless "Trap Door" loads are pretty stiff in the Contender frame. Now real blackpowder loads, oh heck yes. Those are a ton of fun.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 03:28 PM

If He wonts to shoot the contender in 45-70 then he can load his own using Trailboss powder and get a very mild report, less recoil load, without all the pressure generated with some if not most of the modern powders that are on the market I use it in my 45-70 modern gun and you don't have to take a beating. It is also a very safe powder in most all guns. If one has to ask which is fine I would say you need to do a lot of study on safe pressures and also what pressures are generated. the contender is too light in my opinion for even safe loads in 45-70 I for one can not stand the recoil

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2020, 04:57 PM

Gun Cabinet

On another forum I'm a member of, someone contacted Hornady as to whether the Hornady LE 45-70 is loaded to SAAMI specs for the 45-70 and also whether it was safe in all tradoor rifle. His request to Hornady and their reply are below:

Dear Hornady:

This Labor Day weekend I had the pleasure of trying out your 45-70 Leverevolution ammunition. I was quite pleased on the range; I'm looking forward to deer season next month when I can really test it.

I do have a technical question. The ammo is marked on the box as driving the 325 gr bullet at 2050 fps from the barrel. That is performance roughly equivalent to loads in reloading publications specifically marked for strong, modern action rifles and unsafe for trapdoors and other older rifles.

Is the 45-70 Leverevolution safe in all kinds of 45-70 rifles, including Springfield trapdoors?

What is the pressure rating on the ammunition? Is it running under 28,000 psi (the SAAMI spec for the 45-70)?

If the 45-70 Leverevolution is safe in trapdoors and under SAAMI spec, how are your ballistics possible? How are you driving a 325 gr bullet at this initial velocity at such low pressure. I know it's not the polymer tip.

Thanks for your time.

Hornady's reply:

The ammo is loaded to meet SAAMI specs. We can produce these kinds of velocities by specialized loading techniques and specialized propellants. Thanks

Their ammo is not marked +P, no does the box contain any warnings about pressures in some rifles.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2020, 08:33 PM

Why would it not work? The TC Contender design should be stronger than the lever action, single shot, no moving parts to break, etc.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 06:50 AM

2 reasons:

It stretches the frame.

T/C says "No."
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 09:03 AM

Gun Cabinet

Prove that.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 01:15 PM

I would not risk stretching my frame just to prove something to anybody. No offense intended. In all my years of loading I've not approached anything that would send a 325gr projectile down range at that kind of velocity out of my Contender. I doubt seriously that my Encore 45-70 carbine does either. My first ever 45-70 barrel was a 16 1/4" slender profile model, the first version of the S-16. I loaded some 300 gr Hornady hollow points at below max trapdoor loads, put the carbine stock on my Contender and fired away. I fired three rounds out of the little 5 pound carbine and quit. It HURT...on my end...to this day, I've not shot the 45-70 in a Contender Carbine since. Literally thousands of rounds through several barrels as a handgun and quite a few through an Encore Carbine and a NEF Handy Rifle. I don't recall if I've chronographed any of those loads or not, but I'd bet the farm they were no more than 1600-1650fps. Yes, I know Hornady can produce some magic with their ammo...etc. The biggest beauty of the 45-70 is the tremendous range with which it can be loaded...from a pop gun to a .458Win Mag(in a Ruger #1), and there is a whole lot of that range still within the trapdoor range and available to Contenders. Once again I've rambled on way to far.
Walt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page