22LR ammo tests in the Contender - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Default 22LR ammo tests in the Contender

Hey Contender folks, several years back I did a comprehensive 22 LR ammo tests in all of my rim fires trying to determine the best ammo. Has anyone here done that with their Contender? If so is there a preferred ammo in .22LR for the Contender.
When I did this test years back, I was getting match grade ammo for 4$ a box.
Not any more! These kinds of test I can no longer afford. Times have changed.

I appreciate any guidance in this ammo search.

no x now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 07:33 AM

I recently acquired a TC 10" 22RF barrel with match chamber, took it to the range for its first function test with my "junk" bag of various RF ammo. I just grabbed a partial box of Federal Target "auto" in the white 525 size box, out first for a function test. That barrel actually shot this ammo pretty darn good IMO. Now, I'm new to the contender game, so take this for what it's worth, but at 25 yds (just stepped off the distance) and using 1" orange dots for targets on a cardboard box I pulled out of the dumpster from a wobbly bench on a couple makeshift bags, I was able to keep the majority of the shots in the 1" dot. I do have a 2-7x scope mounted on this and the TC forearm that doesn't ride a bag very well due to the slope. I shot the remainder of this box (50-75 rds) as I was so surprised at the accuracy this ammo, so now I have to find some more of it and hope it's as good. Also need to get a better forearm for it to see what it can do.

Master Piddler
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 08:12 AM

I have had excellent accuracy (1/2" @ 50 yards) using Winchester T-22 rounds in my 10" bull barrel Contender with 2.5-7X scope from the bench. PMC 40 grain solids also shoot very well and are cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimINTN View Post
I recently acquired a TC 10" 22RF barrel with match chamber, took it to the range for its first function test with my "junk" bag of various RF ammo. I just grabbed a partial box of Federal Target "auto" in the white 525 size box, out first for a function test. That barrel actually shot this ammo pretty darn good IMO. Now, I'm new to the contender game, so take this for what it's worth, but at 25 yds (just stepped off the distance) and using 1" orange dots for targets on a cardboard box I pulled out of the dumpster from a wobbly bench on a couple makeshift bags, I was able to keep the majority of the shots in the 1" dot. I do have a 2-7x scope mounted on this and the TC forearm that doesn't ride a bag very well due to the slope. I shot the remainder of this box (50-75 rds) as I was so surprised at the accuracy this ammo, so now I have to find some more of it and hope it's as good. Also need to get a better forearm for it to see what it can do.
That's good to hear. I was hoping the Contender wouldn't be as finicky as some 22LR's I've had.
Thank you

no x now!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrstyk View Post
I have had excellent accuracy (1/2" @ 50 yards) using Winchester T-22 rounds in my 10" bull barrel Contender with 2.5-7X scope from the bench. PMC 40 grain solids also shoot very well and are cheaper.
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll give them a look.

no x now!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 01:25 PM

You might want to try CCI Std Velocity, often thought of as target loads, and the Armscor loadings as well. We have several shooters using the CCI Std Velocity in our silhouette matches.(when that COVID19 pandemic hadn't closed down the club yet) and they do much better than you might believe. The Armscor is deadly accurate in a number of them as well, just not readily available in my area.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 06:54 PM

All I've seen of the Armscor is the 36ghp's, do they have a 40gr rn???

Master Piddler
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 06:23 AM

I have a brick of the hollow points Armscor I got at a local gun shop about a year ago, and although I'm sure they have a 40gr version, (most everyone does), I haven't come across them yet.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
I have a brick of the hollow points Armscor I got at a local gun shop about a year ago, and although I'm sure they have a 40gr version, (most everyone does), I haven't come across them yet.
So you've been shooting the 36g HP's??

Master Piddler
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimINTN View Post
So you've been shooting the 36g HP's??

As a matter of fact they are my favorite load. They print tiny little groups off sand bags, much more accurate than I am!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page