New to me .223 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default New to me .223

Took out my recent acquisition for a down and dirty rough sight it today (only had 45 min). I was using some Freedom Munitions 55fmj loads I have had for a while. I bore sighted using clay pigeon pieces on the 50 yard berm. I tweaked for a bit high at 50 yards using precise guesstimate of the dirt splashes in relation to the clay pieces. After "confirming" at 100...I took a few pot shots at steel. It was a bit breezy, but the misses were a combination of me and the quality of the zero. I believe this thing will shoot better than I am capable. Steel target at 200 yards has a 6" square, 300 a 4" dot, and 400 has a ram and 8" circle. I managed to hit the 200 most shots, the 300 1:5, the ram 4:5, and the 8" circle at 400 1:6. There is a lot of guessing with a 6x scope with no real holdover helps. I need a better rest set up, practice from field positions, and time to do work with loads and a chrony. A better scope would help some, but this one will still work well for 200 yard vermin and steel.

It is an ear ringer for sure. I am really thinking a Bee would be much nicer in a 10" barrel, and I already have the dies. However, this one is going to stay until I get bored with it or someone wants it really bad. It is just plain fun.

More pictures and thoughts once I have a serious range session with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200604_103440_1591480994756.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	245704  

Wonder is the beginning of wisdom. -Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 07:46 PM

A friend has a 10'' .223 barrel. I have the 14'' one. If you havent found JBM ballistics.com , you should try it. It is fairly simple to use. They have a bullet library. Select from it. You need to know----or guess the MV. Feed it an estimate of your humidity, altitude, etc. For now, ignore the wind values. Select your desired distance and intervals. ie 200yd and 25yd intervals. You can vary the distances and recalculate, try different bullets, etc. It helps a lot. rp
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 06:55 AM

I would never go shorter than 14 inches in most of my caliber selections for the contender. I do have a 10" 22LR and a Hornet but prefer the weight and balance of the 14 inch or longer barrels. The 218 Bee would be a fine chose in the Contender with a 10" barrel. You can ring out a little more performance in this little round in a modern firearm with some good powder choices. The 221 fireball was designed for just what you are doing and is a great mid sized 22 caliber round. But still could gain a little more from a longer barrel than 10 inches( hence the name Fireball). Lots of good cartridges out there to choose from which is probably why I have 18 barrels in my collection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 08:51 AM

4198/REL10X/AA2015/N-120/REL7 burn rate powders will cut waaaaaay down on that ball powder flash and concussion grenade effect without sacrificing what the shorty 223's can give you much.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED *****Not available in all areas.***** Void where prohibited by law. *****Many many many restrictions apply.*****
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2020, 06:18 PM

I would suggest ear protection. The most common word among gunners. What.

Make America great. Steel for the wall so we donít need cannons to shoot these turds back across the border...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page