New guy questions - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

First off, thanks for reading and helping with another "new guy".

I've been shooting the majority of my life, and been reloading for the last 30 years as well.

This is a new foray into the Contender market and I'm kinda stunned with all the caliber options out there.

7mm TCU
30 Herrett
7X30 Waters
Etc etc.

Interested in silhouette shooting, but also possibly other aspects of shooting with one of these platforms.

I shot my first silhouette match with a buddies 7X30 Waters about 30 years ago and had a fun time. I've never shot one since but I've been wanting a Thompson contender "style" handgun for quite some time.

What's the benefit of one of the above calibers, and or many others I'm probably very unaware of?

Did a little reading up on the 7mm TCU. Sounds like a neat and easy cartridge to load for. Any others you'd recommend? And for what purpose would they mainly be used for?

So many questions about this platform because I'm like a new kid to it for the most part.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by LR6.5; 06-26-2020 at 04:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 07:41 AM

Gun Cabinet

From one of those that have gone before us
http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/7tcu.htm
http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/7tcu2.htm
... always a good read!
Attached Images

Think twice, shoot once...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Those were good reading. Are there any preferences between the above listed calibers? Pros and cons or each?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 08:35 AM

Gun Cabinet

Junior's conclusions were that higher yield of velocity to propellant be realized from the TCU over the Waters.
It is my contention that more shooters have been brought to the contender by witnessing the performance of the 7-30 Waters than any other cartridge.
The design is hard to improve upon and at least one company, Federal, offers two loadings commercially for it, unfortunately both in 120 gr.
I do not want to undersell the versatility of the 7 TCU here. Handloading with a range of powders and projectiles will give one a real schooling on the cartridge.
The 7-30 Waters is a go-to round for most Eastern United States big game. The TCU is somewhat more limited in it's downrange energy.
Both of these offer a bit more from a rifle versus a pistol platform.
... my perspective on the matter.
Jimmy

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 11:29 PM

I miss John. A couple weeks before I left for Wyoming he sent me a few pistols screws along with a humorous note only he could have written.. Two weeks after I got home he was gone.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 09:34 AM

Gun Cabinet

He made a lasting impression on many of us
https://www.thejenatimes.net/article...%80%9D-doughty

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 09:39 AM

I prefer to stick with rimmed cases in the Contender platform. Rimless cases give me ignition fits i.e. 223 , 6mm TCU , 7mm TCU.
Hand loading is the only way to get top performance from the Contenders. Even small cases like the 32-20 win can be loaded up to higher velocities than can be achieved in revolvers or older lever action rifles.
All the above mentioned cartridges are great performers. If you like case forming as a added hobby like me the options are overwhelming.
I started out 35 years ago with two barrels for deer hunting the 7-30 Waters for my home state of Kentucky and a 44 mag for Ohio. I still have both of them and although I have several others now that qualify as deer cartridges they never see field work over my original two.
I was up to 15 barrels last year and was trying to thin the heard out but couldn't decide which ones to part with. Just in the last month I purchased three more and got the I wants for another.
Very addicting!!! - very addicting!!!

Mike
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 03:41 PM

LR6.5 don't ignore the TCU'S or .223 they are the most accurate Contender cartrigdes I have, some work but worth it. 2 of the 3 you mentioned are wildcats as you know and all but .223 were designed for Contenders. The Herretts are awesome to but some work to form. I mainly paper punch with mine. Enjoy your Contenders!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 06:18 PM

Gun Cabinet
Send a message via AIM to Preacherman Send a message via MSN to Preacherman Send a message via Yahoo to Preacherman

I personally prefer the 7 tcu 14" mild recoil and it doesn't give up much to the 7x30 . Brass is very easy form and there is plenty around. The 30Herrett is a lot of work to form brass, and I didn't have a lot of success getting it to shoot accurately but I didn't mess with it much, but it was a fireball.
The Bullberry stuff works well I have a 6 mm Bullberry that's very accurate.
Just my opinion which isn't worth much.
Preacherman

Acts10:13

Last edited by Preacherman; 06-30-2020 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Added comments

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page