Hawes FireArms Company - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Default Hawes FireArms Company

Western SixShooter .22 made by JP Sauer and Sohn, W Germany. If you come across one of these sometime take a close look. I bought one today, price was very reasonable and it is a very well made gun. It is made on a large frame but is an alloy, lined barrel and cylinder with rose wood grips. I still like my Rugers but just couldn't help myself today. Joe :cb2:

Love of God and Country, God Bless the USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 01:56 PM

Almost bought one of those back in the 70's. Now I wish I had. With the alloy parts it did not seem overly heavy, but you still had a full sized gun. Too fast old, too slow smart! 44 Man

H&R 158 30-30, Savage 219 30-30 plus 30-30AI barrel, Win M70 featherwt 30-06, DPMS .556
I hear people say, a loving God would not send anyone to **** and I agree; you make that choice yourself!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 06:08 PM

had one for a first handgun it seemed stout but it was real rough cocking. There must have been a bur somewhere i ended up selling it. I wonder now that i know a little bit about single actions how good of a gun it really was.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 06:43 PM

Joe,
I was in Germany when they brought those guns out. They brought out a whole line of them up through .44 mag. The whole line was to light and would not hold up in the cal. they were chambered in, so they drilled them out and put in a smaller liner. I fired on of the original in .44 mag. and it was not a pleasent experance. I guy that had bought the gun had a bloody hand from the gun twisting in his hand and the trigger eating his finger. They aren`t bad guns after haveing the barrels relined.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 11:18 PM

Default Hawes revolver

I had a Hawes single action revolver made by J.P. Sauer & Sons in the early 1970's. A Guns and Ammo Magazine article dubbed them "the poor man's commemoratives" because they available in versions combining brass backstrap, rosewood grips, nickleplated cylinder, and high polish blue. Calibers were .22 LR/.22 WRM, .357 Magnum (mine), .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt. They were advertised as "Silver City Marshal", etc.

The frames were simular to the Colt SAA size, but the cylinders were larger diameter. Centerfire versions were steel frame & cylinder, but the rimfire versions had zinc alloy cylinders with lined chambers. The frame mounted firing pin was always sticking and locked up a fired case. The front sight came loose, and the cylinder quickly developed endshake.

I thought the cylinder lining was to reduce weight, not because the centerfire guns were converted to rimfire. Never heard that before.

The trigger and hammer notches on the sample I had wore quickly to an unsafe "hair" trigger. I asked a gunsmith to rechamber & rebarrel it to .45 Colt and he refused. The guns apparently did not last long because the importer Hawes went out of business in the late 1970's. It was a modestly priced gun, and only "okay", but did not equal the Colt product.

John

John Traveler
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 09:34 AM
J W

I have a western sixshooter made by J P Sauer and Sohn, has rosewood crips, with nichol plated hammer cylinder and push rod, the rest is blued # 80454 when was it made and whats the value
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:35 PM

Actually the quality was excellent, but the 'Colt' SAA grip shape was tough on your hands in 44 mag! The Sauer co. became Sig-Sauer, became Sig so the quality was there. Much more comfortable to shoot a Ruger as they moved the grip back 1/8" from the trigger guard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1116121352_1557948448576.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	230484  

H&R 158 30-30, Savage 219 30-30 plus 30-30AI barrel, Win M70 featherwt 30-06, DPMS .556
I hear people say, a loving God would not send anyone to **** and I agree; you make that choice yourself!

Last edited by 44 Man; 05-15-2019 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Add pic
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:08 PM

Had one in high school in the early 70s (.22). Shot well, looked nice. Came with fake stag grips. Only problem I ever had was a broken hand due to fanning it.
GuzziJohn
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:27 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

The Hawes Western Marshal was made by JP Sauer and Son's. JP Sauer and Son's merged with SIG Arms(1970-80 era from my memory). The new merger focused on the semi auto world! They sold the revolver operation and the machinery to Weihrauch Waffenfabrick(HWM). Since that time HWM has been making the same revolver for EAA. It is the EAA Bounty Hunter. The biggest change made to the revolver was the transfer bar system which they actually pay royalties to Ruger for(or did).

The EAA Bounty Hunter in 45 Colt is not just another Colt Peacemaker copy cat. They are much more rugged. In fact, any of the +P 45 Colt loads that you can fire from a Ruger Blackhawk can also be fired in the 45 Colt EAA Bounty Hunter. I have been doing it for years!

The EAA is a best kept secret in single actions!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page