Herters Power Mag - Graybeard Outdoors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,984
Default Herters Power Mag

Ok guys, dumb question. What makes a Power Mag a Power Mag? There's a Herters 401 Power Mag on Gun Broker, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=420966171 , and looking at it the frame, right down to the sights, it looks exactly like my JP Sauer Chief Marshal 357 Mag so it has me wondering. Are Power Mags simply a cartridge caliber or beefed up frames? I know my Chief Marshal has the larger heavier frame than all the other JP Sauer, Hawes, models which I assume was done to handle hand loads.
Spirithawk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: lima ohio
Posts: 6,604
Default Re: Herters Power Mag

The Herters 401 was a cartridge all to it's own , not the standard 41 Rem mag that most people know of , aside from having one **** of a time finding ammo or brass & bullets for this odd ball , there is no real advantage to it that I've found over the years .

The case was the same length as the 41 Rem case @ 1.29" but it used a true 40 cal bullet @ .401" and it had a slightly smaller case rim & base , rim = .483" and base of .426"

An old gun nut I knew many years ago had one that he kept on the fridge as a home de-fence gun , the muzzle flash and recoil on that cannon was just out of this world , his thinking was he didn't even have to hit them with it and they would die of a heart attack if he ever had to shoot with it .

stimpy

Deceased June 17, 2015

If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped[size=18px][/size]
stimpylu32 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,984
Default Re: Herters Power Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpylu32
The Herters 401 was a cartridge all to it's own , not the standard 41 Rem mag that most people know of , aside from having one **** of a time finding ammo or brass & bullets for this odd ball , there is no real advantage to it that I've found over the years .

The case was the same length as the 41 Rem case @ 1.29" but it used a true 40 cal bullet @ .401" and it had a slightly smaller case rim & base , rim = .483" and base of .426"

An old gun nut I knew many years ago had one that he kept on the fridge as a home de-fence gun , the muzzle flash and recoil on that cannon was just out of this world , his thinking was he didn't even have to hit them with it and they would die of a heart attack if he ever had to shoot with it .

stimpy
Thanks Was that the only caliber they made power mags in?
Spirithawk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 02:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Republic of Texas
Posts: 1,000
Default Re: Herters Power Mag

No, the Herter's single actions by Sauer were also available in .357 and .44 mag.
Blackhawk44 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,984
Default Re: Herters Power Mag

So what is the differance between a normal .357 Mag and a .357 Power Mag?
Spirithawk is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: lima ohio
Posts: 6,604
Default Re: Herters Power Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirithawk
So what is the differance between a normal .357 Mag and a .357 Power Mag?
This can explain it better than I can .

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413676

stimpy

Deceased June 17, 2015

If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped[size=18px][/size]
stimpylu32 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,984
Default Re: Herters Power Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpylu32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirithawk
So what is the differance between a normal .357 Mag and a .357 Power Mag?
This can explain it better than I can .

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413676

stimpy
Thanks bunches. Since I got my JP Sauer Chief Marshall I've been reading all I can find on the Sauer single actions. It has me giving serious thought to collecting them. It would be awesome to have one of each model and caliber. Maybe a lofty but not impossible task. Being as how the Chief Marshall has a heavier frame than the other models, an adjustable rear sight, and very large front sight it sounds a lot like the description of the Power Mags and has me wondering just how they would actually compare? The only Power Mags I've seen for sale are all 401s. I'd love to take a look at a .357.

I've grown to love this old gun.

Spirithawk is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 19
Default Re: Herters Power Mag

I currently have a .401PM and make brass out of chopped off 30-30 brass. Such is the price for obscure In the past I have had Hy Hunter ,Hawes and JP Sauer guns ,all related. All very serviceable ,underrated revolvers.
I think the true answer to the original question "what makes a Power Mag" is strictly advertising. If you ever read a Herter's catalog every item was bigger ,stronger , better. Very full of POWER words.
needsmostuff is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Moderator
 
lloyd smale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Munising MI
Posts: 21,367
Default Re: Herters Power Mag

I guess its like calling a round a magnum. Its nothing but a name.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
lloyd smale is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,979
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirithawk View Post
Thanks bunches. Since I got my JP Sauer Chief Marshall I've been reading all I can find on the Sauer single actions. It has me giving serious thought to collecting them. It would be awesome to have one of each model and caliber. Maybe a lofty but not impossible task. Being as how the Chief Marshall has a heavier frame than the other models, an adjustable rear sight, and very large front sight it sounds a lot like the description of the Power Mags and has me wondering just how they would actually compare? The only Power Mags I've seen for sale are all 401s. I'd love to take a look at a .357.

I've grown to love this old gun.
I have a twin to this gun with the exception the grip frame isn't brass. Mine like yours is timed perfectly not a mark on the cylinder between the locking slots. Fine shooter too.

I stand for the Republic and all who oppose me be cursed!
rickt300 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome