old friend returned yesterday - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Default old friend returned yesterday

went to dads and he gave me back my old single six. Hes had it for about 15 years. Said his just to old to go out and shoot anything with it anymore. Stopped in the woods on the way home and shot a box through it. Forgot how fun they can be. Now if id could just get him to think hes told old to shoot intruders so he would give me back my glock 43 that hes had for three years.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:36 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

A man should never be without a Single Six. I mean how can a person watch a cowboy movie without having something to twirl on his finger........besides they are a whole lot of fun to shoot and never wear out!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:39 AM

I agree the single six is IMO the best revolver to own if you can only have one. Iíve owned at least a dozen over the years but my SS single six convertible is the one I would keep if I could only have one.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

I never got all emotional with single sixes. Probably because i loaded and casted and could shoot guns like 38s 9mms and my 32 single sixes about as cheap and they made a bigger bang. To be honest before this single six came home i had exactly one 22 handgun a 4 inch 22/45 ruger and two 22 rifles. A 16.5 in heavy barreled savage and a takedown stainless 1022. My other two 1022s and my smith ar15 22lr went to grandkids a couple years ago. I probably havent shot more then a box of 22 shells in a year for the last 10 years. I even consider dumping my single six 32 because I rarely shoot it anymore but ive got a ton of 32 mags and 32 specials loaded up for it that id about have to give away along with molds dies ect around here because there just aren't many shooting them. I could sell the gun and dies on line but then would be stuck with all the ammo. Oh well maybe ill shake the dust off of it one of these days

Last edited by lloyd smale; 05-23-2019 at 06:28 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:45 AM

I have 2 Single Sevens in 327 federal, a sp101 in 32 mag, one in 327 federal, a smith in 32 long. I like 32s especially since my stroke. Donít have much hand strength and the big guns I loved to shoot hurt my hands.

But honestly I can kill all the hogs I want with a 22mag or even a 22 Lr. I just get close and brain them. And I do it with a revolver usually. Of course we can bait them in or trap them. In Florida you can kill pigs anyway you want. There considered a unprotected species. And hunters are encouraged to kill them anyway they want.

My neighbor hunts them with a hound pared with a couple of catch dogs. Then kills them with a knife. I used to do the same when I was young. But Iím not agile enough for that kind of hunting anymore.

Byron

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

ya I kind of chuckle at the people that think its some kind of dangerous game hunt. Same people want to think black bear hunting is dangerous too. I guess it makes them feel manly. Only pig hunting ive done is in a fenced in enclosure hunt that my buddy owns. I go there once in a while to cull a few he doesn't want breeding. Kind of laugh at his brochure that hints at the dangers involved. Id bet at least 3/4s of the pigs I shot there I shot at less then 5 yards. I laughed my but off one of the first days I went there. Another buddy shot a red stag there and while it was being gutted the owner of the operation was kicking pigs in the but that didn't have the patients to wait for the gut pile. Don't know if there any "wilder" in the wild and im sure one could cut you up if you were real dumb but hardly a dangerous game hunt. Dave laughs at me for taking my 475/500/45/44s ect to kill those cull pigs. He uses a 1022 with a bushnell red dot on it.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:13 AM

The big boars can be aggressive at times. But usually they just want to run away. Unless you corner one where they feel trapped they will only bluff charge. They are just trying to scare you away. A 22mag rifle with federal 50 gr HP bullets is big hog medicine here in the south. I use the same round in my SS 22 mag. But it has more velocity out of a rifle barrel.

My neighbor caught a big boar with his dogs and called and asked if he could put him in my trap until he got time to process him. When he came over to butcher the hog all he had was his knife. I know he has a Ruger SS his grandpaw gave him. Anyway I asked him if he wanted me to kill his hog. He said yes he didnít really want to climb into the trap. So I walked up to the wire and brained his hog. It dropped like a rock. He was used to sticking them and it takes a few seconds for one to bleed out.

He said are you sure itís dead. I told him yes I was sure. So we drug it out and strung it up on the singletree at the corner of the barn. Itís stayed dead through the whole butchering process.

Byron

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

couldn't live in FL. Way to hot and humid for me but I am sure jealous of your access to seafood and pigs!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:40 AM

I had a Ruger convertible and let it slip away.Stainless job. I now have the poor mans version of it. The Heritage 6 shot. I find it to be a fun gun, and though not as well made as the Ruger, it's reliable and accurate. The dam safety on it is a pain though.

We don't have the feral pigs here yet,but I think it's plenty gun for Cougar and Black Bear if the rare attack happens. A fire cracker would prob. do the trick.
Growing up in SE Arkansas we used 22 shorts to kill the Hogs before scalding and scraping.Got to do the head shot tho" That fat body soaks up lead like a sponge.

I don't think of myself as a staunch Republican or Democrat.
I am a Christian and a Conservative...........In that order!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page