Graybeard Outdoors banner

327 Federal Magnum

6K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  squint 
#1 ·
I have known about it for years. Never saw my need.
I had a couple 32 H&R mags in single sixes and liked them well enough but didnt feel they where “enough” for defense but for the size and ease of carry on the trail Id have zero use.

Couple years back I was intrigued when that custom Maker built a 327 on a bear cat!!! But coats outweighed practical use for me.

I have knows about the Lipseys single sevens too. But again not enough to really grab me... then I saw the lil birds head 3.75” Single Seven!! Woah thats purdy!! I added it to my “list”! Earlier this month Richard Mann did a story on the Single seven BISLEY!!!! OK Ruger/Lipseys you have my FULL ATTENTION NOW!

Im officially buying one very shortly!! GB has a number of them and one will be mine!!

Everyone I speak with who has one loves it! So tell Me if you have one and what ya think!

I just tested my old 32 H&R dies and they will
Work perfectly to size and load 327 Federals! So Im already ahead of that curve! I have a couple
Nice molds for my 32/20’s so I have that as well!

CW

See less See more
#2 ·
I had several single six 32 H&R mags. But for some reason they all were hard to eject-load. So I went to the sp101.

Then I bought a pair of single sevens. The stainless models. I’m keeping them. Mine are 4 &5/8” and 5 &1/2” models.

#3 ·
I keep eyeballing those single sevens. My SP-101 has just been a joy I’m not real sure what I’ll gain.

I know how this works though. I’ve got a list in my mind of guns I ought to have. When an ought to have it aligns with to much walking around money (WAM) it comes home without a second thought.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had a SP101 when they first announced it chambered for the 32 h&r. WHAT A TOAD!! That thing was HEAVY!! It didnt stay in my safe Long at all.

Even if I found one of the 327 in a black hawk I doubt Id bite. For me trim n light is allot of what makes this desirable.

CW

#15 ·
had a sp101. I didn't find it any heavier then a single six and the thing was a tack driver. Also had a bearcat that Gallagher turned into a 32 mag. Couple single sixes too. Traded off my last 32 single six about 3 months ago. The 32s just never floated my boat. Didn't see what they did that a 38 spec didn't do better and brass for the 38s is everywhere and there so many more bullets and molds. Never owned a 327 so I cant comment on that. If I could have any of them back though it would be that sp1o1. It was one of the most accurate revolvers ive owned. kind of homely though. 32?? Make mine a 32 special J frame. There just sexy.

#6 ·
The H&R mag in the Rutgers can be punched out to 327 federal. I have a SP101 that Alan Harlton cut to 3”, removed all the junk written on the barrel, and slicked up the action, and punched out to 327 federal. Really changes the way the gun feels and handles.

#7 ·
ILL BET!!

I did a Speed-SIX back in the early 90’s. Made a nice carry gun.

The Rugers have always been chunky.. Heck till my heart attack so was I 🙂. Chunky often brings some beef and strength no doubt. But as a small revolver built for concealment. I had to pass.

But just seemed to be awful heavy with those smaller chambers. If there was a 327 back then It might have been a option!

The Bisley Im wanting will likely be a bit heavier then the Single Seven too I realize. But Im hoping minimally besides its not a concealment gun. Its a open carry hunting companion or Trail gun along with a range companion.

CW

#8 ·
So the Bisley is on the Blackhawk frame? Will it be a 6 shot then or 7 shot? I think they made a few Bisley SS guns too. That would be my choice. There is a 327 for sale on Ruger owners form that Alan Harlton made out of a bearcat.

#9 ·
Its still a Single-Seven (S7) just with a bisley grip and hammer. So smaller than the Blackhawk.

What I have realy been wanting is a 22 magnum Bearcat.

CW

#29 · (Edited)
tried to find you a pic of my 5 shot 32 mag bearcat harton did for me. Don't remember where the pictures of the compete gun are. Ended up giving that one to my buddys daughter. Boge Quinn and I had them built at the same time. This is a pic that Alan sent to me to show me the progress where he inletted a K frame smith adj rear sight into the bearcat frame. He also did me a 5 shot 41 special single six on a old model single six. Boge ended up buying that one from me.

Attachments

#12 ·
Sadly I havent been able to as yet follow thru with the purchase.
Im waiting on sales of a few items so as not to effect finances.

Its VK season and happy wife is a happy life. So momma comes first!

CW

#13 ·
I have the Ruger SP101 4.2" barrel with the adjustable sites and the Henry 16" lever action in 327 federal magnum. Looking at having a MGM Encore rifle barrel made also. It is great round and it really shows what it is capable of if you reload.

I have all 3 of the Ruger SP101 4.2" adjustable site models, the .22lr, 327 FM and the 357 Magnum. When out roaming around I take the 327 FM. I reload for all the rimmed 32 pistol cartridges from 32 LC up to the 327 FM. what round is used is determined by what I am thinking I want to shoot.

The Henry will reliably chamber the 32 Mag and the 327 FM. It does not like anything shorter than the 32 Mag. BTW, I absolutely love the Henry lever carbine. It is just a fantastic small to medium game rifle. VERY accurate and just a blast to shoot. Pairs so well with the Ruger SP101 327.

Reactions: Frontiersman_
#14 ·
Im officially buying one very shortly!! GB has a number of them and one will be mine!!

CW
So what is your opinions on the gun? Is it what you expected?
I picked it up last week.

Shot it last weekend and its a WINNER for sure!! Shooting sup 3” @ 50 yards out of the box and I didnt even touch the rear site!! I did add a “glo worm” front.

Circle Illustration Plant Art

CW

#17 ·
Im shooting cast 150g bullets. Lyman 311440 mold drops .313/.314 bullets that I powder coat.

The top crimp groove perfectly aligns this bullet just under max OAL. So far light taper crimp hold it from jumping under recoil. But Im not pushing things here either. My loads are right at 1000 fps with Blue Dot powder and Im tickled with that.

I loaded up a light load of 231 and a 115g cast for a light 1150fps load.

All my loads including Speer Factory have very flat primers.

My loads where assembled with CCI 550 PRIMERS.

ACCURACY IS VERY good! Recoil is light and cases slide out if cylinders normally.

CW

#18 ·
Some sites and Ajax grips came in the mail Friday.

We got clobbered with snow so no range time here last weekend.

CW

Attachments

#20 ·
I’m smitten!!!!

Just ordered a brace of the lil RUGER Birds head 327’s!!

Any one have one?

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Product

CW

#22 ·
That’s a FACTORY RUGER Single Seven BIRDS HEAD!

Text Font Line Document

But no one has them in stock just now. I’ll be calling RUGER later today to get the skinny on production.

I ordered two of them Saturday. 😉

CW

#24 ·
With luck I’ll have them soon!

CW

#25 ·
#26 ·
Cast up 543 135g 31-135s bullets today!! Then powder coated them!!

Green Food Plant Vegetable Bead

CW

#28 ·
Thanks man!!

I made up some “snake” loads last week.

Took a splash of Red Dot a gas check, 40g shot and a .315/49g ball.

Too light got primer setback and cyl lock up.

Changed to 3g Bullseye a card board wad (FAR easier to insert!) the 72g shot and a 49g powder Coated ball!

Ammunition Brass Metal Bullet Shotgun

Testing next opportunity!

CW

#30 ·
Thanks man!!

I made up some “snake” loads last week.

Took a splash of Red Dot a gas check, 40g shot and a .315/49g ball.

Too light got primer setback and cyl lock up.

Changed to 3g Bullseye a card board wad (FAR easier to insert!) the 72g shot and a 49g powder Coated ball!

View attachment 241892

Testing next opportunity!

CW
Hay, that sounds like alot of fun. If wanted, could make a cup for the shot I suppose, might be interesting to see pattern difference, if any. Good rabbit load too.

Have built some 4570 shot loads in BFR (which is main reason have kept it), yet like idea of adding the round ball - may could use it for turkey at close range but probably need a sabot for a .454 ball, curious if a patch around ball would work instead of sabot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.