Colt SSA 45 LC - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Default Colt SSA 45 LC

I recently acquired a Colt SAA in 45 cal. I am wondering if the Hornady FTX bullets can be used in this gun. I read somewhere that the cases need to be shortened because the bullets are longer than others used in this area. If that is so, then can Schoffield brass or maybe the new 45 Special made by Starline be used with this bullet. Anyone have any experience in this area?

Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 08:01 AM

I load the FTX bullets for my .45 Rossi 92. As long as the overall cartridge length is maintained, I've had no problems with the crimp hitting the bullet cannilure. I also have a Colt SAA in .45 (3rd generation). For that I load "creampuff" rounds of a 250 gr lead round nose and a light charge so I don't beat it up.

That which does not kill me, makes for great campfire stories.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 05:02 PM

I've found with my SAA that the cylinder throats are .455, while the barrel dia is .451. It shoots best with .454 lead bullets, less so with .451 jacketed. Your mileage may vary. Most loads I shoot are cast bullets at 800 + - and will do anything I wish to with the .45 Colt. In fact I bought some swaged rnfp factory style bullets a while back and I'm pleasantly surprised how well they hammer game at 800 fps! Better than we've been taught to believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 04:02 PM

Nodlenor, I am more in Clare44man's corner than I am in the flex-tip corner. Par'n me but I don't think they are worth the effort. Probably the best thing you could ever do with a 45 Colt or a 45 ACP is simply 'flat-nose' the slug. In the 45 Colt caliber, one of Elmer Keith's 255 gn plain based semi-wadcutters at factory duplication velocities will give you anything you want from a 45 Colt, especially if you are de-horsing a rider or faltering his mount at 50 yds. As for the 45 acp - Winchester's new USA Ready line of ammo with a 230 gn fmj flat nosed 'target' load at 880'/sec from a government length 1911 should do the same. You can go easy on that Colt and still get everything you want, without shortening brass or falling for the idea that a flex tip bullet at 45 Colt velocities is gonna be the end all to be all. Imo.....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 09:05 PM

I use 300 gr FTX in 45 Long Colt Ruger Blackhawk. It is too powerful to shoot in an genuine Colt or Italian made Colt replica. Very safe in a Blackhawk. Cases are the normal .45 Long Colt just like the Hornady manual specifies. I also shoot the same load in a Rossi 92 (a super strong John Browning designed rifle).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page