Graybeard Outdoors banner

Opinions on upgrading a RIA 1911 to 45 Super

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  RJM 
#1 ·
I know I am really late to the party but I just discovered this. It has really piqued my interest. It moves the 45 into roughly the same realm as a 10mm auto in terms of velocity and energy from what I can tell. In theory terminal ballistics would be very close as well. Plus you can still shoot run of the mill 45 ACP from a converted pistol. I also handload for the 45 ACP so this would really be a plus. You use all the same components with the exception of the brass.

Ok so now that I have talked up the positive of doing a conversion does anyone have any real world experience that reinforces the talking points or contradicts them?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

#2 ·
I have a RIA TAC that I added the shock buffer and heavier spring to. I don't know that I've worked all the way up to 45 super but was looking to slow the gun down for +P loads.

The shock buffers i got were too thick to allow the slide to reach the slide lock when shooting, and I think this is variable depending on how the guide rod and dust cover area on the slide and frame are cut on each gun/model. My plan was to still use them when doing workup or carried as a hunting sidearm knowing it won't lock open when empty.

On the bright side, the gun still runs just about any ammo well, so I don't feel like there is much of a drawback with spring rates within reason to avoid battering when it goes back into battery.

Terry

#3 ·
Well I contacted Rock Islands tech line and asked about the the 45 Super. All they would say is their 1911 pistols are all +P rated. The end.

Now my RIA 1911 in 10 mm auto is built out on the exact same frame as my 45 ACP. The only difference I can see is a heavier springs and it uses a bull barrel. In my limited knowledge and experience that makes me believe it can be done as long as the pistol itself is well maintained and the components are all in good working order.

So I am going to order some heavy weight springs and start experimenting with commercial ammo like Buffalo Bore and Underwood. Then I will proceed with some reloads. I may also put in some shock buffs too just to keep the frame from getting beat up too bad.

#4 · (Edited)
Just saw this. I have tried the .45 Super in my 1911. I still have a couple of boxes of ammo on the shelf. It is essentially a .45 ACP +p+.
The “conversion” is simple...add a buffer and install a heavier recoil spring. I also installed a square bottom firing pin stop. I ran a 28 lb spring in mine. The heavier spring prevents reliable functioning of standard .45 ACP ammo.
I did not find the round worth keeping the gun set up for it. I had the same experience with a 400 CorBon conversion - another round that moves in to 10mm territory.

#5 ·
Have a Kimber Stainless Target II that I upgraded to run .45 Super and also helped a friend customize a Colt Combat Commander to do the same...

Besides a heavier recoil spring, to further retard slide opening and slow the slide down:
Main Spring: Stock is #24...up grade to 28#
Firing Pin Stop: Change out to a square bottom one...

Heavier Firing pin spring to help faster retract the firing pin off the primer as the slide is opening

Tried running AAC-9 and Power Pistol but got the highest velocity with Longshot. Was able to easily match the Buffalo Bore 230 and 255 grain loads...

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.