Opinions on upgrading a RIA 1911 to 45 Super - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Default Opinions on upgrading a RIA 1911 to 45 Super

I know I am really late to the party but I just discovered this. It has really piqued my interest. It moves the 45 into roughly the same realm as a 10mm auto in terms of velocity and energy from what I can tell. In theory terminal ballistics would be very close as well. Plus you can still shoot run of the mill 45 ACP from a converted pistol. I also handload for the 45 ACP so this would really be a plus. You use all the same components with the exception of the brass.

Ok so now that I have talked up the positive of doing a conversion does anyone have any real world experience that reinforces the talking points or contradicts them?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Cartridges for My Entertainment: 22lr, .223 Rem, 30-06, 380 ACP, 38 spcl, 357 mag/max, , 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP. Mmmmkay what project can I do next... oh, I can't right now I am going hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:44 PM

I have a RIA TAC that I added the shock buffer and heavier spring to. I don't know that I've worked all the way up to 45 super but was looking to slow the gun down for +P loads.

The shock buffers i got were too thick to allow the slide to reach the slide lock when shooting, and I think this is variable depending on how the guide rod and dust cover area on the slide and frame are cut on each gun/model. My plan was to still use them when doing workup or carried as a hunting sidearm knowing it won't lock open when empty.

On the bright side, the gun still runs just about any ammo well, so I don't feel like there is much of a drawback with spring rates within reason to avoid battering when it goes back into battery.

Terry
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Well I contacted Rock Islands tech line and asked about the the 45 Super. All they would say is their 1911 pistols are all +P rated. The end.

Now my RIA 1911 in 10 mm auto is built out on the exact same frame as my 45 ACP. The only difference I can see is a heavier springs and it uses a bull barrel. In my limited knowledge and experience that makes me believe it can be done as long as the pistol itself is well maintained and the components are all in good working order.

So I am going to order some heavy weight springs and start experimenting with commercial ammo like Buffalo Bore and Underwood. Then I will proceed with some reloads. I may also put in some shock buffs too just to keep the frame from getting beat up too bad.

Cartridges for My Entertainment: 22lr, .223 Rem, 30-06, 380 ACP, 38 spcl, 357 mag/max, , 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP. Mmmmkay what project can I do next... oh, I can't right now I am going hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 04:49 AM

Gun Cabinet

Just saw this. I have tried the .45 Super in my 1911. I still have a couple of boxes of ammo on the shelf. It is essentially a .45 ACP +p+.
The “conversion” is simple...add a buffer and install a heavier recoil spring. I ran a 28 lb spring in mine. The heavier spring prevents reliable functioning of standard .45 ACP ammo.
I did not find the round worth keeping the gun set up for it. I had the same experience with a 400 CorBon conversion - another round that moves in to 10mm territory.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer.
The readiness is all.
“Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.” Ernest Hemingway ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page