.22 Magnun out of 4" barrel. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Default .22 Magnun out of 4" barrel.

Did some shooting today. Was shooting some Hornady 30 gr V-MAX out of my Heritage single action with 4" barrel. Was doing an impromptu check on penetration/expansion. I was surprised at what I got. Shot from a distance of 15 feet. Bullet went through 2" pine 2x4, 1/2" pine board, and got stuck exiting a second 2" pine 2x4. Red tip was still present, and bullet nose expanded just enough to catch a sliver of wood. Penetration was fair, but I expected more expansion. Was it a poor choice in medium shot through or just not enough power coming out of a 4" barrel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 02:31 PM

Default Re: .22 Magnun out of 4" barrel.

Don't know about these newer .22 magnum loads, but years ago did some testing with the 40 grain hollow point & FMJ. Ballistic tables said the magnum in a handgun should perform like a .22 HS long rifle, in a rifle...

Using a 6" .22 magnum revolver & a 20" rifle in Long rifle. Shooting into a series boards as you did. Performance was indeed similar.

Then fired a .22 magnum full metal jacket. It penetrated everything, & if I remember correctly -- including a log backstop setup behind the boards!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 11:25 PM

I actually contacted CCI once to see if the slow burning powder in a 22 magnum story was true. The return email confirmed that in fact its true so I'd imagine the same round fired in a rifle would give much better expansion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 12:11 AM

These guys did a whole lot of testing to answer your question:
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 05:41 AM

Yup!

The 22MAG is beginning to be seen as it has always been, a great lil magnum. 8) 8) 8) Its a highly underrated caliber.

Try some of the pistol rated rounds like the Hornady CD and Speer Gold Dots. The old Gold Dots (Discontinued years ago) where even 45g as the CDs are today and preformed exceptionally. The Gold Dots are a excellent bullet.

Federal even still makes a 50g but it wont expand unless you get it to its top velocity form a rifle barrel.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 12:02 PM

Poor choice of medium? Well, depends on if you want/need to shoot through boards.
Wood has varying density, grain tightness, knots, etc.; ie, it aint the most consistent thing to shoot through. And around here a 2x4 is a far cry from 2" by 4", same with common boards, so your penetration was likely even less than you figured.
Now put some clothes on a not frozen ham and take a shot (that is, if you want/need to shoot dressed ham ) and it might tell you something more useful than wood ever will.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 09:02 AM

Try the same test with the cci 30 gr tnt hollow point 22 wmr. Velocity from a short barrel is enough to make it expand.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 09:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to mcwoodduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot
Yup!

The 22MAG is beginning to be seen as it has always been, a great lil magnum. 8) 8) 8) Its a highly underrated caliber.

Try some of the pistol rated rounds like the Hornady CD and Speer Gold Dots. The old Gold Dots (Discontinued years ago) where even 45g as the CDs are today and preformed exceptionally. The Gold Dots are a excellent bullet.

Federal even still makes a 50g but it wont expand unless you get it to its top velocity form a rifle barrel.

CW
Years ago my friend and I took a Costco sized pretzel jar and filled it with double strong Red jello about 3 to 4 gallons About 18" tall and 12 " deep at the center. We shot it with his 17HMR and it blew a huge chuck out of the top along with breaking the screw on top at about the 1/3 down the jar. At the center I shot a 50 grain Federal at 20 yards out of my handy varmint rifle and all it did was drill a strait line .22 wide all the way through the jello and out. It was neat hole strait in and strait out. we later tested the 17HMR Vs 22Mag for ricochet and the 50 grain was more likely to zing off after hitting a hard object. It also went through the items we set up to catch the bullet.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:46 PM

Most .22 magnum ammunition works great in the rifles and carbines.
But in revolvers the ammunition needs a different powder.
So they developed .22 magnum self defence ammunition to perform better in the shorter barrel handguns.

https://youtu.be/3opMF8iqC5k

https://youtu.be/AF3bGonidAM
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:49 PM

A few years ago my friend and poster on GBO Rebel1 were doing a redneck penetration test on 22 cal ammo. We were using dry magazines as the medium. We tested 22 LR and 22 Mag ammo. He had a a Heritage 22mag, I believe with a 6 in barrel.He had several different rounds to try. Some solid and a couple HP, and diff weights.We got better penetration with the Heritage using 22lr stingers than any of the 22 mag rounds. Really came as a surprise to us.We didn't have a 22 mag rifle to test, and I;m sure it would have beat them all by a long shot.

Now that I have a Heritage with both cyl's,I'll look for ammo specifically designed for pistols.

I don't think of myself as a staunch Republican or Democrat.
I am a Christian and a Conservative...........In that order!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in