Glock 20 or 40 10 MM any one? - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberroy View Post
The factory 10mm barrel will shoot 40S&W just fine
That's what I have read. Seems they do real good from a stock 10mm barrel, at least Glocks anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:27 PM

I had around 200-250 rounds of WWB 165 grain and Remington 180 HP's in 40S&W. left over when I sold my last XD40. I fired all of them through my 2 10mm glocks with out a single malfunction. I don't buy 40 just to shoot in my 10's but when I find a few around the house they get shot out of one of my glocks.

Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:34 PM

As far as as the original question. I carry my G29 way more than my G20 but I don't get to bum around the woods as much as I used to. I carry the 29 concealed often.

Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberroy View Post
The factory 10mm barrel will shoot 40S&W just fine
Yes but you head space on the extractor might not be good in a SD situation.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootall3 View Post
Yes but you head space on the extractor might not be good in a SD situation.
Exactly

Go Donald Go!!
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:28 AM

might be a valid argument for factory ammo but if you trim to minimum length your case mouth on a 10 isn't going to headspace if the chamber is set for factory length ammo. Ive yet to see one with a self adjusting headspace feature. Well I shouldnt say that. they do have extractors. If brass trimmed to min length did headspace youd have problems chambering factory would never chamber. Just about all semi auto handguns have pretty generous chamber dimensions to insure reliability. I guess if a guy wanted to win an argument he could take a cast of his chamber and sort brass and trim some brass to fit it exactly at least for one firing anyway. Now a 40 or 10mm in a ruger single action sure does have to headspace on the rim. Its way ammo for one has to be made so carefully or you will get misfires. No extractor. I don't know how many 10s of thousand rounds ive shot through glocks M&Ps sigs berrettas ect and ive yet to break one extractor. Bottom line is like I said most chambers are cut so generously that you can pick mixed brass off the ground at the range and it runs just fine with never seeing a trimmer. I have shot 40s in my 10s and everyone of them has gone bang. that said I just did it to say it could be done. I wouldn't make a habit out of it because your going to get crud build up and possibly even flame cutting in your chamber and in at least my guns they never shot near as good as the 10s did anyway. .
Quote:
All that being said. If I was in a SHTF scenario and all I had to put in my 10mm was 40, I would use it. However, I wouldn't use it on a daily basis or even for practice to save $$. It should be a last ditch effort where you really have to use it.
right theres the answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
I echo what GB said about shooting 40 in a 10mm. Yes, in some guns it may fire, but it may not be reliable and could possibly cause damage to the gun over time. Since both cartridges are designed to head space off the mouth, the 40 can't reach the stop in the barrel (not sure if there is a technical term for that point). Therefore, the 40 will have to be head spaced by the extractor which only supports the case on one narrow point on the rim of the case. If the extractor doesn't hold it well when being struck by the firing pin, it may push the case forward and you will have a failure to fire situation and it may push the cartridge further into the chamber where you will have to pick it out. Also, overtime, it could damage your extractor in which it may begin to fail to extract, which is another serious issue.

All that being said. If I was in a SHTF scenario and all I had to put in my 10mm was 40, I would use it. However, I wouldn't use it on a daily basis or even for practice to save $$. It should be a last ditch effort where you really have to use it.

If you really want to shoot 40 S&W in a Glock 10mm, you can guy a 40 barrel for that gun and safely shoot 40 out of it without any fear of function or damage.

Rosewood

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 03-05-2019 at 07:33 AM.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:43 PM

FWIW I shot a IDPa match with a G19. Last round sounded light. When I cleared the gun it had not ejected the case. The bullet went thru target sideways. It was a 380. Woops. But it shows how generous some guns are with working.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootall3 View Post
FWIW I shot a IDPa match with a G19. Last round sounded light. When I cleared the gun it had not ejected the case. The bullet went thru target sideways. It was a 380. Woops. But it shows how generous some guns are with working.
Especially Glocks
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:28 PM

I didn't buy 40 cal to shoot through my 10mm's I wanted a 10mm Glock 20 gen 4 fit the bill of my want. At that time Springfield didn't make an XD in 10mm. I sold one XD40 to a friend put that money towards a G17 . I like to have any ccw gun I carry to have the same controls. So I decided to switch to glocks. When the last XD40 went I had 2-300 rounds left. I had read the 10mm glock would run them so I gave it a try. I ran 150 through my G20 without a single malfunction . They shot half way accurate. When I bought the 29 I ran 125 rounds through it same results. I have no plan to buy more 40 S&W to shoot in my 10mm's, but would not hesitate to load up 40's if I needed ammo and it was all I could get. Honestly I only carry my G29 for going down town or for security at church. If I am not at work I have to glock 42 on me if I am upright. That gun performs way above where it should for size and caliber

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:37 PM

Back to the 40 in a 10 mm barrel. If a 40 gets by the extractor you are out of luck . In a 40 chamber it corrects itself and who knows ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page