Graybeard Outdoors

Graybeard Outdoors (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Glock and Sig Handguns (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/40-glock-sig-handguns.html)
-   -   Glock 20 or 40 10 MM any one? (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/40-glock-sig-handguns/391602-glock-20-40-10-mm-any-one.html)

purebred 02-27-2019 12:45 PM

Glock 20 or 40 10 MM any one?

Wondering what people out there think of their Glock 10 mm's. I have a Glock 22 but sure am leaning to a Glock in 10mm. From what I've read the ability to shoot 40 through one makes it even better. Hard to figure if the 6 inch barrel of the 40 is better than the 4 1/2 from the 20. Also the 40 is about 100.00 more, ouch. Anyway what do you Glock people think? Or just stick with my Glock 22 and call it good?:tango_face_smile:

Graybeard 02-27-2019 02:58 PM

I think if I were gonna get a 10 mm Glock it would be the 40 but....If I were gonna get a 10 mm it would be a Springfield XD or XDM.

purebred 02-27-2019 05:49 PM

27 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graybeard (Post 2055854778)
I think if I were gonna get a 10 mm Glock it would be the 40 but....If I were gonna get a 10 mm it would be a Springfield XD or XDM.

Appreciate the response. Why the Springfield if I might ask? Haven't had much experience with them. Glock I have. Another reason for me is I have a bunch of 40 ammo. Can you do the same with a Springfield?

purebred 02-27-2019 06:01 PM

I guess after reading up on the Springfield the answer to my question is yes. All in all I am very accustomed to Glock and think my preference would be a Glock 40. But who knows. Guess it's just ones preference over another.

Graybeard 02-27-2019 06:25 PM

If you are asking can you fire .40 S&W ammo in a 10 mm barrel the answer so far as I know is no you cannot. Neither in the Glock or the Springfield. Both headspace on the mouth of the case, since they are much different in length the .40 should just fall into the chamber and firing pin wouldn't touch the primer I'd think.

I've just never likely Glock guns tho I have owned several of them. I have now traded/sold all of them off and don't really plan on another. I was tempted a bit by the G40 tho cuz I like 1911s even less. But now that Springfield has the XD and XDM both in 10mm if I decide to get one it will definitely be a Springfield, likely the XDM 5.25. I have several Springfield XD and XDM guns and really like them. Excellent triggers, accurate guns and they are as dependable as Glocks.

I prefer the XD grip a lot more than I do the XDM grip but that's a personal preference based on my hands. The XD I believe has a 4.5" barrel and the XDM a 5.25" barrel and fully adjustable rear sight. It also comes with 3 mags compared to 2 mags with the XDM.

purebred 02-27-2019 07:42 PM

I think I'll do some more studying on them. Thanks Sir

dstegjas 02-27-2019 10:27 PM

I have the Glock 40 that I picked up a while back. I was on a kick to hunt with the 10mm and decided on the G40 because of the 6" barrel. I looked at others out there but went with the Glock because of the MOS system. Mounting the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro Reflex on it was very easy. I'm not sure if the G20 has that option. Bud's was also running a special on them so the price was pretty good too. I am not a huge fan of Glocks but I do have the G27 and of course the G40. So far I am happy with both of them.

Jim

lloyd smale 02-28-2019 05:30 AM

Ive got a 20 and a 29. there great guns. I personaly prefer the 29 but that's just me. to me its much more versatile. It can go from home defense to ccw to hunting without even changing ammo. 20 is just to big to carry day to day. As to shooting 40s. If the world ends and all you can find is a box of 40s then go for it. But don't buy one with the intention of shooting 40s in it. If you want to shoot 40s stick to your 22. Ive done it and made them go bang but they wont run like typical glock butter. Full power 40s are nothing to sneeze at. But my short barreled 29 will easily outpace my 22. All that said if I was held down and told I can only keep one black pistol in the safe it would be my 23 but the 19 would be tough to let go too. I just wish glock cold find a way to make a 10mm the size of those. If they would my 20 would go down the road tomorrow.

rosewood 02-28-2019 06:42 AM

I echo what GB said about shooting 40 in a 10mm. Yes, in some guns it may fire, but it may not be reliable and could possibly cause damage to the gun over time. Since both cartridges are designed to head space off the mouth, the 40 can't reach the stop in the barrel (not sure if there is a technical term for that point). Therefore, the 40 will have to be head spaced by the extractor which only supports the case on one narrow point on the rim of the case. If the extractor doesn't hold it well when being struck by the firing pin, it may push the case forward and you will have a failure to fire situation and it may push the cartridge further into the chamber where you will have to pick it out. Also, overtime, it could damage your extractor in which it may begin to fail to extract, which is another serious issue.

All that being said. If I was in a SHTF scenario and all I had to put in my 10mm was 40, I would use it. However, I wouldn't use it on a daily basis or even for practice to save $$. It should be a last ditch effort where you really have to use it.

If you really want to shoot 40 S&W in a Glock 10mm, you can guy a 40 barrel for that gun and safely shoot 40 out of it without any fear of function or damage.

Rosewood

purebred 02-28-2019 03:22 PM

Thank you, Yea I should have worded my statement better. That was my intent to purchase the 40SW barrel for the 10mm. Think I might just bypass the Glock 40 with another revolver. Sure like the looks of a Super Blackhawk with 7 1/2 barrel. :tango_face_smile_bi It would have to be special Glock to replace my Glock 22.