DA First Shot Carry - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Default DA First Shot Carry

I've bounced around with a carry gun for some time. I recently bought a Glock 42 but there is something in the back of my mind that makes me very uneasy about having a round in the chamber with no safety. I've heard the arguments about training but the fact remains that it makes me uneasy. What I would really like is an udated version of my PPK. A carry gun in .380 where I can have the hammer down on a loaded chamber with a safety on and have my first shot DA.

So... what is the gun? Small and light.

Thank you.

NRA Life Member-Patron-Endowment-Benefactor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 06:34 PM

Default Re: DA First Shot Carry

Unless you pull the trigger, a Glock cannot fire. The motion of the trigger rearward is what moves the safeties out of the way, allowing the trigger to release the striker to fire. Rest easy, 20+ years of carry Glocks and 15 as an armorer, I know for a fact, you are in better hands than with any hammer fired gun.

"...And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat." Acts 10:13
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:02 PM

Gun Cabinet

The original Ruger LCP is a DAO .380 that is remarkably small and light, might be worth looking at.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Rifle & Pistol Instructor

Are you an Ohioan that is interested in becoming more active in the fight for your 2A rights? PM me or click here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:07 PM

All modern guns have safeties, some of them are just internal. I actually feel more comfortable with internal safeties, it takes human error out of the equation. If you have an external safety with no internal safeties there is always the chance that you can move it by accident and not realize it at which point you could be walking around with a gun ready to fire. I personally won't buy a carry gun with external safeties. My carry gun is a S&W Bodyguard .380, DAO hammer fired. Mine is the model with no external safety but they do make one that comes with an external safety as well.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 10:40 PM

The Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry .380 is a DA/SA. It looks a little slimmer than a Glock 42 to me.
I don't know if it has an external safety or not. But it does have an external hammer.

Here's a link to hickok45 and his video review.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-_RWl6L0BnU

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife that you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." Fred Bear

Handi 243 working on full Bubbaization. American Classic Model 1377 & Ruger Air Hawk. Zebco, Shimano, Garcia & Shakespeare. Heddon, Rapala, Buck & Leatherman.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks you all for your replies.

I've read a lot about Glocks and the incidence of accidents and the reasons for them. Frankly, I'm not impressed much one way or the other. An accident is just that.

My bottom line is that my comfort factor goes tilt when I carry a firearm that does not have a positive safety that is not near the trigger. I understand that there is an aftermarket safety for Glocks. That might be worth looking into.

If the PPK weren't so heavy I'd probably carry that.

I'll look at the Bersa this weekend.

NRA Life Member-Patron-Endowment-Benefactor
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 10:03 AM

Incitatus,

If you are going out to look, then may I suggest that you take a look at the Kahr P380? I believe it has not external safeties, is DAO, and has a long, smooth trigger pull, just like a good revolver. Quality should be superior to a Bersa.

I have not ever fired one, but I have shot the Kahr P9 alot, and the trigger pull is remarkably smooth and even.

Carry one of these in a good hard-bodied holster that covers the trigger and trigger guard, and you will feel totally safe about it. No safeties to fumble with. No external hammer to worry about. No decocking stuff.

Mannyrock

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 10:21 AM

If you don't mind Double Action Only and absolutely must have a safety the S&W Bodyguard comes in a few different models. You can get one with external thumb safety. They're nice to carry, only 12 ounces:

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 06:12 PM

I guess you could carry a small, light weight DAO pistol with an external safety and no round in the chamber - that would be real safe.

Like JeffG stated - the trigger needs to be pulled back in order for most revolvers/pistols to be fired. All the "accidents" you've probably heard about - a person probably pulled the trigger with a round in the chamber.

A lot of people don't like to carry a 1911 "cocked & locked" with a round in the chamber but that's the way it should be carried, if you're real concerned about safety - carrying it just cocked is also very safe, as you still need to depress the grip safety and pull the trigger, but some are a little leery of carrying in that manner.

I understand your comfort level and I hope you find a carry piece that meets those needs.

Do not fear the Enemy, for your Enemy can only take your Life. It is far better to keep the Media at bay, for they will Steal Your Honor.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 01:03 PM

The S&W shield has a safety, but really, for your piece of mind, that bersa CC is worth having a look at Pard! If you don't feel 'comforted" by your pistol, you won't carry it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page