best self-defense insurance? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Default best self-defense insurance?

I'm getting emails from NRA and USCCA regarding "after the shot / defensive shooting" insurance coverage.

Has anybody done a comparison of these offerings or others out there?

During my November Carry Class, the instructor advocated we get coverage.

I'm lazy as well as finding comparison shopping for insurance a very tedious and obscure process.

Hoping to find someone more able and energetic who has already done the work and doesn't mind sharing their conclusions.

thanks

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:32 PM

I thought I had heard of certification classes that included this insurance in the price, which would be very convenient.
But I could have misremembered.

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife that you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." Fred Bear

Handi 243 working on full Bubbaization. American Classic Model 1377 & Ruger Air Hawk. Zebco, Shimano, Garcia & Shakespeare. Heddon, Rapala, Buck & Leatherman.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 05:07 AM

health insurance, car insurance, home insurance, Loan insurance, when does it end. Me ill take my chances that a judge is going to see that I'm justified. Bottom line is where I live I'm about as likely to get into a shooting as I am getting struck by lightning. I'm not paying for some insurance mans power lunch.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:59 AM

Gun Cabinet
Lightbulb

A wise man once told me that an insurance company merely charges you interest to save your money. Save your own money.

I'm afraid this insurance is like the insurance provided by auto repair policies, if needed, they will some reason or fault to NOT cover that particular event.

A good protection policy would be a comfort but it may be like a boat.......a hole surrounded by water into which one pours money.

I hate being so cynical but life just does that to you.

or else...................

God Bless America and Donald Trump !
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 01:48 PM

Best policy is to have a firearm and ammo you are competent with, use it at a known quantity self defense class and continue with your practice, enough to maintain proficiency.

Know the laws in your area, the judiciary outlook on self defense in your state. What you see on TV can put you in jail. This is probably more important than any policy you can ever acquire.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:44 PM

I carry personal liability insurance. Basically, its an umbrella policy that covers any situation I might be liable for. For example, a car accident where more damage is caused than covered by my auto insurance policy, my lawnmower throws a rock through someone's window, or some obnoxious neighborhood kid harasses my dog and gets bit in the process. It should also cover accidental damage/injury caused with a firearm. I would recommend a similar policy, as opposed to one that's marketed specifically for ccw.

Its important to keep in mind that, while an insurance policy might protect you from the cost of property damage or medical bills, it will not protect you from criminal charges. The best insurance you can possibly have is to make sure there's no doubt that you're in the right and the shoot is clean. If that's the case, you shouldn't have any reason to be concerned about liability issues.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

good points CJ thank you. I have an umbrella policy - got when our kids were little and often had many friends in the yard. Wanted to be protected in case something happened.

I'll have to see what all is covered under that policy. Thanks

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:15 PM

I was thinking you were talking about some kind of prepaid legal type insurance.

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife that you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." Fred Bear

Handi 243 working on full Bubbaization. American Classic Model 1377 & Ruger Air Hawk. Zebco, Shimano, Garcia & Shakespeare. Heddon, Rapala, Buck & Leatherman.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:56 PM

As stated above, know your states laws and ABIDE by them! I believe very few people who have carry licenses actually have read the statute licensing their carry. If they did they would be very enlightened by what they can and cannot do to defend themselves and how quickly they can go to jail for failing to ABIDE by the statute. Educate yourself, get a license, practice, practice, practice and read that statute at least annually if not more often.

Life is Outstanding!

I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not trade for the favor of the Kings of the world!

Thomas Alva Edison

I will never get old, never retire, and never pass away.......
I have too many projects!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Good info olddaddy - Its been a while since I did read it. I hear now n then of folks who don't know the rules. Warning shots etc are not cool.

NRA Life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page