Best 9mm ammo? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Default Best 9mm ammo?

Recently got a free 9mm pistol. What is the "best" FMJ bullet weight. Got some American Eagle 147 Truncated Cone bullets and some 115 RN Winchesters for break in but have not fired either yet. Interested in a plinking round that might be useful for coyotes or hogs when not expected. I will probably carry it with CCI shot cartridges while outdoors, if I carry it at all. Think a TC might be the best choice( definitely better than RN), but what weight.

I have a Firestar 40S&W and some Black Talons if I were serious about concealed carry, but do not have a CC permit yet. It is a mild mannered little gun, just as easy to shoot as my 380. Also have a 44 Special I would carry if hog hunting.

Alvin York did not need double taps.

TIA for your opinions.

2120-September 1, 1945
To: D A MacArthur /C H Nimitz
Political Correctness is a doctrine, recently fostered by a delusional , illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of cr*p by the clean end!

Now, with special thanks to the Truman Museum and Harry himself, you and I finally have a full understanding of what "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" really means.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 06:00 PM

Honestly, the best ammo for your gun is the cheapest brass care FMJ that feeds reliably in your gun, and is accurate. In factory ammo, I like Winchester & Remington bulk FMG's in most of my 9mm's. The common weights - 115, 124, and 147 grains can all be accurate and reliable, your gun will let you know. The 115's and 124's often do shoot closer to point of aim on fixed sight guns.

For hog defense (I would never use a 9mm for intentional hog hunting) I would think a bullet with a flat point, or TC design, either FMJ, or hard cast, would work best. Id probably look at a 147 grain weight for the added penetration. Companies like Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, and Cor-Bon make specialty loads for such use. I would probably plink with the cheap stuff, and buy a couple boxes of the speciality stuff for use as appropriate while in the woods. On the cheap, the American Eagle (Federal) 147 grain TC might not be a bad choice as well for hog defense. I would avoid any 9mm HP bullet, as most all are designed with expansion first, and would not be good penetrators in something like a hog.

Larry

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Last edited by Bigeasy; 06-24-2017 at 06:05 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 10:11 AM

I like Federal 115 grain for general target shooting, hits at point of aim in my Sig.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 10:58 AM

I hate to admit it but I have a glock model 19 in 9mm. A girt from a friend, retired LEO. I asked him the same question, what self defense ammo is the favorite of LEOs?

He said either 115 gr gold dot federal +P or the same bull it into 124 gr weight. So I bought a case of federal 124 gr GDHP +P ammo. That what my bedside gun is loaded with.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
I hate to admit it but I have a glock model 19 in 9mm. A girt from a friend, retired LEO. I asked him the same question, what self defense ammo is the favorite of LEOs?

He said either 115 gr gold dot federal +P or the same bull it into 124 gr weight. So I bought a case of federal 124 gr GDHP +P ammo. That what my bedside gun is loaded with.
I'll second the 124gr +P GDHP for SD, coyotes or hogs. Any bullet weight is fine for plinking or taking a pot shot at a coyote.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 04:19 AM

If its NATO spec, and you didn't say which model gun you got for free, I'd recommend S&B NATO 124 for FMJ.

For reference: 9mm Luger SAAMI is 35K, 9mm +P SAAMI is 36K, 9mm NATO CIP is 36.5K.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 09:02 AM

I know the OP said ball ammo, but then posted the question in the self defense forum. Ball ammo has no use for us here, except as practice ammo. So I answered his question based on the application of the 9mm in self defense.

Byron

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamnelson View Post
If its NATO spec, and you didn't say which model gun you got for free, I'd recommend S&B NATO 124 for FMJ.

For reference: 9mm Luger SAAMI is 35K, 9mm +P SAAMI is 36K, 9mm NATO CIP is 36.5K.
Interesting how slight the difference in pressures between the different 9mm ammo ratings.

Byron

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
Interesting how slight the difference in pressures between the different 9mm ammo ratings.
And you know I just found this from a gun rag:

- 9mm Luger 35,000
- 9mm +P 38,500 (10%)
- 9mm +P+ as high as 45,500

The same article asserts that most +P or NATO firearms are built to withstand 70,000 before catastrophic failure.

For example KelTec, Diamondback, and the Kimber Solo all say not to use +P ammo. The list of non-+P rated 9mm firearms is probably longer, and would likely include many of the sub-compact polymer single stacks that are popular for CC.

But Glocks, M&P, CZ are all +P rated.

Last edited by teamnelson; 07-20-2017 at 05:49 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 06:54 PM

My Hi-point is +P rated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page