ordered a lcpII yesterday - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Default ordered a lcpII yesterday

Had two of the originals and sold them both because there about unshootable with that very stiff trigger. New on I dry fired at the dealership had a much better trigger and the slide locks back after the last round. I even tried lazers on both of my others. They still took consentration to keep on target at 10 yards. Ill see how I like this one when it gets here and maybe order a second one if it works out.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

I too got rid of my original LCP but replaced it with the LCP custom with the red trigger. I love it. I'm not sure if the new LCP II has a better trigger or not but it would be hard to improve on the one I have.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 10:40 AM

My GF wanted Christmas ideas so we went to a LGS to get me an LCP on sale ($179) as I wanted something smaller than my Sig for warm weather days. Right next to it was the LCP II for $229. We both both looked them over extensively and agreed that the LCP II was well worth the extra $50. Better trigger, better sights (for what they are), even the slide seems smoother and racks a little easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 12:23 PM

Ive had the 2nd gen LCP for several years after agonizing over LCP or LC9; the 'small enough to take anytime/anywhere' has proven to be true for me. Im not so sold on the higher/knobbier sights on the new ones, its a close range point & shoot not a range gun (and the same older model holster may not fit). Now the new lower with my older slide would call my name.
I recently picked up a grip sleeve to fatten out the grip a tad, it hasnt changed the concealability for me but the finger flare extension for the std mag does, that keeps it from going into most of my shirt pockets and makes a pointy projection when iwb at 3-4:00. The extended mag would do the same.
I also have a Kahr CW9 that is my next step 'up', it goes about most all times and made me question keeping the LCP yet the 'repeater deringer' still has a place and time as I found just the other day (again). We were ready to go and the little Kahr was printing just too much so the LCP was it, glad I had it. And, of course, both carry well at the same time.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 01:08 PM

I think you made a great choice Lloyd, I've been thinking about obtaining the very same but so far haven't shaken loose the money. I don't have many reasons to CC but last month in a Western State I tucked in my 1911, as I've always done for the past 50 years and found I've lost some of my desire to tote that puppy around (it's actually starting to feel heavy) and I'm now thinking seriously about the LCP II but then I CC so infrequently maybe my model 60 will save me that $200+ so the War Department can purchase another couple pair of shoes to add to the couple hundred she's already got.

Do not fear the Enemy, for your Enemy can only take your Life. It is far better to keep the Media at bay, for they will Steal Your Honor.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

to be honest I don't carry that often either and maybe this gun will change it. Even toting around a gun like my glock 43 or shield isn't really conformable to me and I live in an area where crime usually means so kid stole some candy from the store. I had the other two lcps and grew to dislike them after a while even though they probably would have worked just fine for point blank shooting. They ended up sitting in the console of my two vehicles and if I felt where I was going justified it id stick them in my pocket. Now what I do is put the 43 and shield in the truck with a iwb holster. If I need them I slap them on. I guess my train of thought is if I like this one id try to carry it every day in my pants pocket and leave the bigger guns in the truck still in case I felt a need for them. To be honest they been used more to put down vechile hit deer and to pot a rabbit of grouse on the way to camp then they have strapped on me in Walmart.

I certainly cant justify anything bigger then the 43 or shield. I'm not going to war up here any time soon. I have probably a dozen full and mid sized black guns and a few 1911s left and the only time there carried is when I'm going to camp. 99 percent of the time I spend with them is plinking and target blasting at my range. I don't recall even one civilian being in a gun fight or having to use a concealed weapon in my life in our country or the two surrounding counts. Or for that matter anywhere in the UP of Michigan. I'm sure not strapping on a 3lb gun just in case the million to one odds of me being the first show up.

I guess in my opinion if rather go up against one of walter middy types who strap on a glock 17 with 3 extra mags that shoots maybe twice a year then someone with a 380 with 6 shots in it that shoot 3 times a week. I have to doubt if to many people trying to rob Walmart are the type that spend many hours at the range learning how to handle there gun. I also doubt if 90 percent of the people carrying a big gun and multiple mags could even handle a mag swap in the heat of a gun battle or for that matter are ever going to get into a sustained gun fight. If things like that really happened it would be on the national news tomorrow and ive never heard of it happening. I sure wont feel naked with an lcp in my pocket. It sure better then a knife. If I didn't feel that way id be looking for a new place to call home that didn't put me or my family in that kind of a dangerous situation. For the most part I got a my ccw license because it makes buying guns and transferring them in Michigan a lot easier. Not because I'm worried about a terrorist attack. But then that's just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
I think you made a great choice Lloyd, I've been thinking about obtaining the very same but so far haven't shaken loose the money. I don't have many reasons to CC but last month in a Western State I tucked in my 1911, as I've always done for the past 50 years and found I've lost some of my desire to tote that puppy around (it's actually starting to feel heavy) and I'm now thinking seriously about the LCP II but then I CC so infrequently maybe my model 60 will save me that $200+ so the War Department can purchase another couple pair of shoes to add to the couple hundred she's already got.

Last edited by lloyd smale; 12-17-2017 at 05:44 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Lloyd, I figure my chances of needing to use my carry gun is about as low as yours but I just have a different mindset on the subject. Not saying my plan is better or worse just what feels best for me.

I've been carrying for 51 years. Off and on some of those years and have used a wide variety of revolvers and semiauto guns over the years. These days I don't step outside my vehicle when out and about without a carry gun.

Here in Bama both open carry and concealed carry are legal but weather is mostly warm even in winter we have lots of 60 degree plus days when I just have a t-shirt on so for me most of the time concealed means a small gun in a pocket like the LCP Custom or my Ruger LC9s.

Over the years by way of trying to be ready for a defensive use of the gun should that ever become necessary I play a "what if" game. As I'm going into or coming out of stores and walking across parking lots I look at the people I pass. I do this both for the what if game and because I am always in yellow alarm mode when out. With that little .380 or even the little 9mm in my pocket I began to have doubts.

I'd see a 6' 4" or taller fellow weighting well in excess of 300 pounds and ask myself, if he attacked me as I pass him would the gun in my pocket stop him? Far too many times my answer to the question was either no or likely not. This began to make me feel uncomfortable with the choice of a small .380 or a light single stack 9mm.

So I began carrying a full size fighting pistol again as I had all those long years ago when I first began carrying. My primary carry gun these days is a S&W M&P .40 S&W and the next most common carry piece is a Springfield XD .45acp. I've been known to also have the LCP Custom in a pocket in addition to the full size gun. I also carry two knives in my right and left hand pants pocket on clips at the back corner of each front pants pocket.

I've never needed to use any of those for an actual defensive situation and honestly don't expect I ever will need to. But the old boy scout in me says to be prepared at all times so I am.

I pretty much never go out at night. I do whatever business I need in town or at closer than town stores during daylight hours. Part of that is that I haven't been able to see that well at night in many years. I do now see better at night as I recently had cataract surgery on both eyes and now my world is much brighter than it has been. They other reason is night is the time crimes are more common.

As a result of my daily habits I really don't put myself into harms way so much. I NEVER EVER go into bad parts of towns. I have a handicap tag on my truck and so usually park in the handicap parking spaces closest to the door of stores when I shop. So I'm not making the long walk past easy hiding places for criminals. I don't use alcohol so never go to bars or liquor stores where a lot of the local crime happens. I mostly never go out to town or stores after dark again when crime is most likely.

Still there are murders, robberies, rapes, car jackings and even home invasions that happen in my county regularly. Gang violence is up most everywhere and so there is just no way to know when or where you might need to be ready to defend yourself. I've gone 72 years without the need and figure I'll not need to before I die but that old boy scout "be prepared motto" is still in my head and so I try to always be prepared for whatever might come my way. As a result 24-7 I have access to a combat handgun and when at home also my home defense shotgun and ARs all loaded and ready for immediate action if that time I need to defend my family ever does come.

Certainly I'm not walking around looking for trouble and I honestly don't expect it to ever come my way. I avoid "gun free zones" like the plague. Still when I step out of my truck and start the almost always short walk to the front door of any store I might go to that full size combat handgun with caliber starting with a "4" is right there on my right hip. Sure it gets heavy but these days I really can't walk all that far or long so it's not like I'll be walking around all day long with it. At home I don't wear the gun on my hip but rather than a loaded fighting size gun within arms reach no matter where I am in my house.

I'm old and pretty much worn out. I can't run, not even if my life depended on it and due to COPD I'd not last more than a few seconds in a fight before I'd collapse to the floor gasping for air. But I can still pull the trigger should it ever be absolutely necessary and I'm always within arm's length of a gun.

Just my personal perspective on the issue of carrying and being prepared for any defensive situation that might develop. I'm sure no expert on the subject having never had to defend myself and don't even pretend that what I do would necessarily be right for others. Just saying that I don't let the size or weight of a full size combat handgun prevent me from having it with me if that time ever comes. I sure hope it doesn't and I don't figure it ever will but.......

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 12-18-2017 at 05:06 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Dee

Well Bill, I certainly agree with you. I don't open carry, and don't have COPD (Linda does), but me goin 3 rounds with a youngster is also out of the question too.
My attitude is, we'll skip the first 2 rounds, and proceed directly to round 3.
A Glock23 is not hard to hide, is fightin size, and 40cal is plenty.
We live in a nice neighborhood but, our area has a growin crime problem, and Dallas is moving our way.
If some cheap thug tries to turn me, or mine into a victim, I intend for him to leave a blood trail, if he leaves at all.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
The comment about your wife's shoes is what prompted me to reply to this thread. I know what you are talking about in spades.

Also I have hardly any reason to carry. Open carry is legal almost everywhere in this state and where I want to carry ( in the boonies) I just strap one on my hip and go about my business. I'm also noticing the weight of my 1911s and single actions. I've down sized some but nothing in the lcp catagory.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Bill we don't have gangs around here. I haven't heard of anyone being robbed at gunpoint or a home invader other then maybe some high school kids playing around. Never once have I heard of a car jacking. A few car thefts but even they are extreamly rare. About the only murders you hear about are family members or girlfriend/boyfriend love squabbles. Not that some of this couldn't happen. But if your weighting the odds it doesn't really justify needing a gun on you 24/7. When I go on a trip or even sometimes when we go to a larger town to grocery shop I will. but I might do that once in 3 months. For the most part the wife does the shopping. She does carry an lc9 in here purse but only because I insist on it. But you have a much greater chance of being run over by the garbage man here then being attacked in any way. I do understand that this area is the exception not the rule. I'm also not against ANYONE carrying. If I didn't believe in it I sure wouldn't have wasted the time and money to not only get a ccw but to get certified by the NRA to teach the class.

ive lived here all my life other the 8 years in the service. In that time I can only recall two times in our county where even a police officer had to shoot someone. It was a drunk unarmed coming at him on the side of the road. It was plea bargained that if he resigned it would be called justified but was pretty sketchy. The other was a ex boyfriend that shot his ex girlfriend and her new boyfriend with a 94 Winchester and was shot by the state police when they arrived on scene. He threatened them no doubt in an act of suicide. One kidnapping which was a husband that forced his wife into the car and crossed state lines into WI. One home invasion that resulted in a man being shot by an escaped convict from a prison farm that was subsequently closed down becasuse to upgrade to proper security was to costly. Pretty much Mayberry around here. I live on a dead end road that comes off of the state highway so I do worry a bit about home invasions so do keep a number of guns loaded in the house. As a matter of fact every handgun, shotgun and AR in the house are loaded. Only thing not are my hunting guns.

I don't pretend to know it all either bill. I sure don't know what your area is like and maybe if I lived where some of you lived id think differently too. maybe some day my train of thought will come back and bite me in the !!! too. I don't know. But I just cant justify carrying a 3lb combat handgun on my hip all day when the most dangerous thing ive ever encountered up here was a bear on my back porch and he went running when I said shoo! All that said I do have a couple buddys that do carry all the time. Obviously they feel justified. But for me anyway I sure don't feel naked with a 380 in my pocket. Its sure not a power house by any stretch but with good modern hp ammo is just as effective as the 38 specials many carry and our police used for probably 30 years. Probably a more sensible purchase for me up here would be a defibulator to carry on me. Heck of a lot more chance at my age I'm going to drop with a heart attack then get into a gunfight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
Lloyd, I figure my chances of needing to use my carry gun is about as low as yours but I just have a different mindset on the subject. Not saying my plan is better or worse just what feels best for me.

I've been carrying for 51 years. Off and on some of those years and have used a wide variety of revolvers and semiauto guns over the years. These days I don't step outside my vehicle when out and about without a carry gun.

Here in Bama both open carry and concealed carry are legal but weather is mostly warm even in winter we have lots of 60 degree plus days when I just have a t-shirt on so for me most of the time concealed means a small gun in a pocket like the LCP Custom or my Ruger LC9s.

Over the years by way of trying to be ready for a defensive use of the gun should that ever become necessary I play a "what if" game. As I'm going into or coming out of stores and walking across parking lots I look at the people I pass. I do this both for the what if game and because I am always in yellow alarm mode when out. With that little .380 or even the little 9mm in my pocket I began to have doubts.

I'd see a 6' 4" or taller fellow weighting well in excess of 300 pounds and ask myself, if he attacked me as I pass him would the gun in my pocket stop him? Far too many times my answer to the question was either no or likely not. This began to make me feel uncomfortable with the choice of a small .380 or a light single stack 9mm.

So I began carrying a full size fighting pistol again as I had all those long years ago when I first began carrying. My primary carry gun these days is a S&W M&P .40 S&W and the next most common carry piece is a Springfield XD .45acp. I've been known to also have the LCP Custom in a pocket in addition to the full size gun. I also carry two knives in my right and left hand pants pocket on clips at the back corner of each front pants pocket.

I've never needed to use any of those for an actual defensive situation and honestly don't expect I ever will need to. But the old boy scout in me says to be prepared at all times so I am.

I pretty much never go out at night. I do whatever business I need in town or at closer than town stores during daylight hours. Part of that is that I haven't been able to see that well at night in many years. I do now see better at night as I recently had cataract surgery on both eyes and now my world is much brighter than it has been. They other reason is night is the time crimes are more common.

As a result of my daily habits I really don't put myself into harms way so much. I NEVER EVER go into bad parts of towns. I have a handicap tag on my truck and so usually park in the handicap parking spaces closest to the door of stores when I shop. So I'm not making the long walk past easy hiding places for criminals. I don't use alcohol so never go to bars or liquor stores where a lot of the local crime happens. I mostly never go out to town or stores after dark again when crime is most likely.

Still there are murders, robberies, rapes, car jackings and even home invasions that happen in my county regularly. Gang violence is up most everywhere and so there is just no way to know when or where you might need to be ready to defend yourself. I've gone 72 years without the need and figure I'll not need to before I die but that old boy scout "be prepared motto" is still in my head and so I try to always be prepared for whatever might come my way. As a result 24-7 I have access to a combat handgun and when at home also my home defense shotgun and ARs all loaded and ready for immediate action if that time I need to defend my family ever does come.

Certainly I'm not walking around looking for trouble and I honestly don't expect it to ever come my way. I avoid "gun free zones" like the plague. Still when I step out of my truck and start the almost always short walk to the front door of any store I might go to that full size combat handgun with caliber starting with a "4" is right there on my right hip. Sure it gets heavy but these days I really can't walk all that far or long so it's not like I'll be walking around all day long with it. At home I don't wear the gun on my hip but rather than a loaded fighting size gun within arms reach no matter where I am in my house.

I'm old and pretty much worn out. I can't run, not even if my life depended on it and due to COPD I'd not last more than a few seconds in a fight before I'd collapse to the floor gasping for air. But I can still pull the trigger should it ever be absolutely necessary and I'm always within arm's length of a gun.

Just my personal perspective on the issue of carrying and being prepared for any defensive situation that might develop. I'm sure no expert on the subject having never had to defend myself and don't even pretend that what I do would necessarily be right for others. Just saying that I don't let the size or weight of a full size combat handgun prevent me from having it with me if that time ever comes. I sure hope it doesn't and I don't figure it ever will but.......

Last edited by lloyd smale; 12-18-2017 at 05:43 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page