Concealed Carry: What Do You Carry? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Gun Cabinet
Default Concealed Carry: What Do You Carry?

https://gundigest.com/handguns/conce...led-carry-guns

By Doug Larson -November 6, 2017

Quote:
Deciding to concealed carry takes plenty of consideration, particularly determining which is the right gun for you.

How should you go about choosing a concealed carry gun?

Concealed carry gives armed citizens the advantage.

Potential attackers do not know whoís armed and whoís not.

The author will not disclose whether he carries, and suggests others donít either.

There are some basic considerations for carry: climate, training level, concealablity.

A sub-compact, single-stack 9mm, for many circumstances, is adequate protection.

Where I live, a lot of people carry discreetly. As such, the bad guy doesnít know who is armed and might shoot him. That makes every type of attack less likely, which makes everyone much safer. And thatís exactly how it should be.

Concealed Carry Pistol Being Drawn

So, Iím not going to tell you ó or anybody ó if I carry a gun or not and what that gun might be. And you shouldnít ó unless required by law ó let other people know whether or not you are carrying. But I can give you the reasoning I would use if I had to choose a gun for concealed carry in public.

Why should you care what I think? Iím just like many of you, except Iíve had hundreds of hours of training in the use of handguns, rifles and shotguns from some of the best trainers and gun fighting schools in the world. And Iíve done a lot of research on the subject and learned directly from real gun fighters.

All of them have an opinion about what gun or caliber is best, and itís reflected in what they carry when they have a choice. And the choice each person makes is right for them. So learn, get training and weigh the options. Then make your choice, but obey the law.

Itís hot where I live, so if I had to select a gun for concealed carry, it would have to be easy to carry discreetly in hot weather where a coat looks out of place. So small is better. But with more terrorist activity, the rise in attacks by multiple assailants is increasing, so it would be a good idea to have as much ammo on board as possible. While a double-stack 9mm pistol sounds good, it might not be as easy to hide as a single stack. And the same pistol in .45 ACP wonít hold as many rounds as a 9mm.

Walther PPS M2 Pistol

Iím getting older, and my bones and joints donít work as well as they used to. After years of aggressive shooting, especially after shooting a lot of very high-powered handgun cartridges, I find that a gun in 9mm is much easier to control and more comfortable to shoot during long periods of training.

So, if I had to choose, I would not feel under protected by a sub-compact single-stack 9mm semi-automatic. But this is just my opinion, and itís all hypothetical anyway. You should do what makes sense for you.

Bill aka the Graybeard

https://www.gboreloaded.com/forums

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:28 PM

My preference would be a 2" .38/.357 revolver. However the steel ones are heavy and the light ones have stout recoil. So ..... my summer carry is a very concealable Ruger LCP2. My cool/cold weather carry is a Sig Sauer P938, 9mm. I much prefer the Sig but it's not as easy to hide with shorts and a tee shirt....
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 10:20 PM

I depend on two, a 1911 lightweight commander size .45 and a S&W 642. The 1911 is carried about 60% and the 642 about 40%. My reason for both is simple, they fit my hand naturally and I shoot them both well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:15 AM

My EDC is a Springfield Armory XDS in .45 ACP. It is small, easy to conceal and packs a good punch. The XDS comes in three flavors, .45, .40S &W and 9mm, any of these three will get the job done if you do your part. No matter the caliber of your gun, you need to practice with and carry it. Missouri is one of the states that allows open carry and I have seen some who do, not me, I keep my EDC concealed and let the bad guys wonder. Take care, John.

It's not what you do, but how you do what you do, that counts.
Just keep on keeping on!
NRA Life Member
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:26 PM

in witch pocket?
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 12:42 PM

I carry either a Glock 42 or a Ruger LCP. In fall, winter, and spring (mostly when I'm wearing jeans), I use an Alien Gear IWB holster in the 6 o'clock position. If it's really hot out and I'm wearing cargo shorts, I'll switch up to the DeSantis Nemesis holster in my front right pocket. That's also when I switch it up to the LCP, since its a little more pocket friendly than the Glock. I catch a lot of flak from friends/family about carrying .380's, but I think I'm immune to it by now.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldstar225 View Post
My reason for both is simple, they fit my hand naturally and I shoot them both well.
As much as people obsess about caliber, weight, etc. when choosing a carry gun, I feel like this is one of the most important reasons to pick a firearm for self-defense.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 08:55 AM
Banned

After many years trying to be comfortable and keeping my pants up I now carry a NAA revolver when going out.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
After many years trying to be comfortable and keeping my pants up I now carry a NAA revolver when going out.
LOL, sounds good to me. My old model P22 is very light and my wife carries a new model P22 that I got from kindly old Graybeard.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:43 PM

Location: Southern Indiana surrounded by federal public land, Hoosier National Forrest

I carry a Colt Delta Elite.

"Last seen wandering Hoosier National Forest."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page