44 Special Charter Arms Bulldog - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Default 44 Special Charter Arms Bulldog

I handled a used one today (newer generation). It feels like it could be legit CCW piece. Thoughts and advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Handi's
357 Magnum
30/06
45/410 Survivor
20 Gauge Tracker II
R73 32 H&R Magnum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 08:22 AM

I owned one when they first became available. Of course there not as refined as the colt & S&Ws but it worked. The 44 special factory loads left a lot to be desired back then but now you can buy some pretty good factory loads and of course reloading your own is usually the way to go.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:18 AM

I don't have one but friends do. They love um. One they cost less than alot of guns. They work . They shoot a good size chunck of lead getting close to 45 acp . I would want one with conceled hammer and would try to find smaller grips as I pocket carry . I carry a S&W mod 38 and have considered the Bulldog but have not done so yet. So like you I hope others offer their opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:36 AM

Charter Arms Bulldogs ain't fancy and are less expensive than other wheelguns , but they are well made and rugged and best of all they WORK. One in .44 Special would make a very good SD gun and ammo is easy enough to find. If you handload you can can even get some very good ammo with about any styl slug you and the Bulldog like. I would NOT hotrod the loads just work up a good near max load that shoots good for you and the gun. Good luck and keep us in the loop, take care, John.

It's not what you do, but how you do what you do, that counts.
Just keep on keeping on!
NRA Life Member
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:35 PM

I've had a few of them, I just couldn't get use to the lack of refinement many nicer revolvers have...

I guess if you've never experienced the nicer revolvers, it probably won't bother you.

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilling Man View Post
I've had a few of them, I just couldn't get use to the lack of refinement many nicer revolvers have...

I guess if you'v.e never experienced the nicer revolvers, it probably won't bother you.

DM
If its for self defense and gets used for that it might be the last time you see it anyway. It will become evidence in the lawsuit.

mike
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:24 AM

44 special is a great cartridge, and the Bulldogs are solid performers. Its a tool, nothing more, and an excellent one at that. Probably a whole heap of them in ankle holsters in PDs across America, or were. If it rusts due to sweat, gets muddy when you traipse through a ditch, or winds up in an evidence locker - no big deal. But when you are at what Dad called "halitosis range", its reliable. Its a hammer, not a safe queen.

I think that's a perfect gun for cast bullets myself.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:58 AM

The Hodgson reloading site online has lots of reloads using Trail Boss powder, seems to show pretty good velocity. And would be safe. They have other loads too...

John Taffin article in old American Hangunner magazine (2001 Annual Issue) scroll down to page 21:

" John Taffin FEISTY BULLDOGS!
These Updated, No-Frill, Five-Shooter Pocket Revolvers From Charter 2000 Get An Excellent Rating! "

https://bit.ly/2HCCurb

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamnelson View Post
44 special is a great cartridge, and the Bulldogs are solid performers. Its a tool, nothing more,
Well, if I have to depend on them, I try to buy the best quality "tools" I can afford and that goes for my firearms too...

If I'm going to depend on my tools, OR my firearm, I prefer to use a firearm that has a smooth working action, with a great trigger, that I "enjoy" shooting, so I will practice with it more.

I'd just rather save up a little longer and get a "tool" that's of higher quality in the first place...

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:11 AM

I have always thought the bulldogs were kind of neat. They make a 9mm and 40cal and say they have some kind of
spring arrangement that doesn't require a half moon clip. I always thought the 40 would make a nice carry gun. Does anybody know how the spring arrangement works?

mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page