Pockets are hard on guns. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Default Pockets are hard on guns.

I pocket carry mostly as it just seems natural to do so. I use a holster with a plastic sheet on the side facing away from my leg. I seldom let anything else get in that pocket like keys , change etc. But my gun looks like I dragged it behind my truck. The finish is beat to death. It is an airweight with a pickle finish. Not the bright nickle finish but a gold one. The finish is worn off now. Some pooped off around the cylinder telease. The top strap is worn down it's length on both sides. I carry everywhere legal so it has alot of miles in my pocket. And I admit working construction and living a hunting and fishing lifestyle it sees alot of dirt and sand etc get in the holster with the gun. I have worn our a couple holsters made by Backwoods . The holsters are well made and work great but like in a pocket takes a toll. A few weeks ago I took the gun apart and cleaned it as the trigger was getting hard to pull. Now it shoots well but looks like heck.
Anyone else see extreme wear on a pocket kit carry gun ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:23 AM

I make pocket holsters and use them daily. Pockets collect all kinds of junk that wears the finish off. Two of my pocket carry 38ís look like they have been sandblasted. With a semiauto make sure to disassemble it once a week and dump out the dirt.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooter pig View Post
I make pocket holsters and use them daily. Pockets collect all kinds of junk that wears the finish off. Two of my pocket carry 38’s look like they have been sandblasted. With a semiauto make sure to disassemble it once a week and dump out the dirt.
Reason I don't carry an auto loader.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:24 AM

Well personaly I sure don't think a revolver is one bit more reliable then a GOOD semi auto if it gets dirty. Try dunking your smith in mud and dunk a glock 43 in mud and id bet the smith binds up faster and more often then the glock. Anyone that carrys ANY handgun in the pocket without a holster and doesn't clean it at least once a week is asking for trouble. I think part of the wear problem comes from not using a pocket holster or a good pocket holster, some from dirt and some from the sweat that soaks into your pants. I guess to me I really don't care about the finish of a working gun to much. the lcp I carry the most has about a third of the finish gone and the rest of it looks pretty rough. but then I carried that gun in my pants pocket, jacket pocket in the console of my truck and never had it in a holster for years. that said its gone bang every time I take it out and exercise it.

Only failure and it really wasn't a failure that ive ever had with a pocket gun was with my J frame. I pulled it out of my pocket at the range one there was a penny wedged between the frame and the cylinder. Somehow that day I was dumb enough to stick my change in the wrong pocket. Was it a failure. Well not really because I pulled the penny out before I shot. Lessons learned? Don't put stuff in your pocket that has your gun and use a pocket holster. Now I use a shoot through wallet holster in my back pocket. No worrys about sticking things in my pocket and sure not worried dirt or dust in getting into the slide. I still clean it every couple weeks but it looks the same as when I put it in that holster as when I take it out.

But a revolver more reliable? that's silly. Just pull the trigger on a revolver and see all the parts that have to pivot, slide and rotate to make it go bang and that can break. then look how few parts need to be precisely fit and move when you shoot a semi auto. trigger, sear and disconnector and even they are exactly hand fit and there all enclosed in the gun. Only thing exposed is the slide and glocks and M&Ps and most black guns sure don't have a slide fit like a match 1911 and have a lot less room for crud to get in and jam them up then a revolver. think of what has to all move on your first shot with a snubby and what has to move for the first shot with a lcp. don't get me wrong. Ive got two j frames and still carry them occasionaly but its mostly for nostalgia because at one time I was on your side. Is my j frame reliable? Sure it is. Is it more reliable then a raven 25? you bet it is. Is it more reliable then a good semi auto? NOPE. Id think if I were wrong on that pocket semi autos wouldn't be outsell revolvers by probably 50 to 1.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!

Last edited by lloyd smale; 03-31-2019 at 07:35 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

I use a pocket holster and always have. The wear comes from stuff getting in the holster and working on the gun like sand paper.. I work construction and dirt and grime is part of the job. As for Glocks as good as they are I know of one that was carried for some time and the slide locked in place. Had to be knocked lose worth a block of wood. But that was lack of cleaning.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

The revolver gives a second try on a new round faster and that is worth considering .
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:06 AM

A friend of mine had a Glock lock up, I googled the resolution, sure enough, "hit it with a hammer or block of wood" came up.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus

Last edited by goodshot; 04-20-2019 at 10:13 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Any gun can malfunction any ammo can be bad. I had a Glock that would not feed from day one. Glock fixed it quickly. I had a box of Corbon 9mm that about half would not go bang. I got them at a gun show so I have no idea how they were stored.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:03 AM

Unless you store your ammo in the shower I donít believe you will have any problems. Iím shoot ammo thatís 30 years old. But it has been kept dry and reasonably cool.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:21 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

The only gun that I can carry in my front pocket is a NAA Mini revolver in 22 mag. My pockets are right where I hinge when bending over. Anything more than a Mini Revolver binds me up. One of my friends carries like you Shootall3 but he is 6'7" and His Chiefs Special doesn't seem to bother him at all.

Look at the wear on your gun as character marks, just like the scars on your hands from all your hard work!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page