Any favorite .380 conceal carry gun - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Default Any favorite .380 conceal carry gun

I'm thinking a Smith and Wesson bodyguard is looking pretty nice...any one here have experience with any others that I should look at before making a final decision ..... Thanks for any input...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

Never owned one of the body guard .380s but have shot one and liked it fairly well. However I like my Ruger LCP Custom far better. The trigger on the body guard is pretty horrible tho I was able to stage it and shoot well enough to hit the target. The trigger on my LCP Custom is so much better but the standard LCP trigger isn't. I think the LCP II is almost as good as the Custom from what I hear.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

My brother got a Body guard a few months before he passed (didn't know at that time). It's trigger pull was stiff and he couldn't pull it, but I seem to remember that it shot fairly well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:27 AM

My favorite is the Kimber micro 380. Its a 1911 style pistol. Thin like the old colt government model 380s. Fits in a pocket without bulging. And their accurate. Has good sights as well.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:08 AM

You have really good taste !
I have been partial to the 1911 style since I got my Hubley 1911 cap pistol!

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:41 PM

Gun Cabinet

I had an LCP and liked it a lot. The (heavy) trigger didn't bother me all that much but like GB said, the Custom model of that gun is just about perfect.

I gave that pistol to a widder woman friend of ours when she was over visiting one evening. She is a real estate agent and the conversation got around to self protection since she meets strangers in isolated locations. She used to shoot a lot with her husband and me before he died so after a basic familiarization I wasn't worried about her ability to handle it safely.

I replaced the LCP with a Bodyguard. It's a fine, accurate weapon, hi-ebber, and day is always a hi-ebber, it suffers from an occasional light primer strike. Hi-ebber again, the Bodyguard is a true double action which allows me to cycle the hammer with a second pull of the trigger; a feature the LCP does not have. A second pull of the trigger has never failed to ignite the primer. This light strike fault is well known and appears in many reviews of the Bodyguard.

Normally for me, this flaw would exclude the weapon from daily carry. But the FTF's have grown less and less frequent with use and I find the little gun is in my pocket whenever I leave the house.

All that said, if I were to do it all over again I'd get an LCP Custom or even another LCP. BTW, the LCP is the best deal going since you can get one for around $175 +/- from PSA. I would not get an LCP II as I can't make myself trust striker fired pistols. I know this an irrational prejudice, but it's just the way I feel.

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:04 PM

Gun Cabinet

I like my LCP II. The trigger is what sold me on it when they first came out. I had a couple failure to feeds but I polished the feed ramp and never had another. The sights are better than the LCP but still a little hard to see. I think it shoots well at 20 yards and under just my .02

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:15 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

JMHO- (and it'll surely p.o. a few ) but i don't
figure sights as a consideration on a "belly gun".
they really aren't meant for any serious target
work, but meant for in-your-face and i-can-smell-
your-stinking-meth-breath ranges, in other words
hip shooting and point shooting ranges, maybe
point blank to 5 yards or so.

lots of practice is called for

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:02 PM

Gun Cabinet

Ranger, I can't disagree with you as that's how I see it too. I do like to aim a little when the perp is a mean red squirrel at 15 yards. These little buggers chew up my cabin.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 03:02 PM

The one I enjoy and carry the most, actually the only one I now own, is the Walther Pk380. Ergonomics, sights, trigger, even the magazine release are more than satisfactory. The older PP line-up always gave me hammer bite or left skid marks on the web of my thumb. The Pk is one I can shoot all day without complaint.
Belly guns are where I carry them. If it is so close that the best I can get off is unsighted gut or chest shots then so be it. I would prefer to keep the distances to a lot more than 'I can smell your stinking breath', which is why I really like the sights on that Pk. JMO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page