Smallest round you are comfortable with a - Graybeard Outdoors
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Mine is a 9mm and I seldom carry that. The other is a 38 spl. I do carry that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:17 PM

I carry a 22lr and a 22mag sometimes as well. But my everyday carry is usually a 380 loaded with gold dots.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:12 PM

Gun Cabinet

I carry a .380 in the winter and my NAA black widow in 22 mag in the summer. Neither is big but any firearm is better than no firearm. I small in stature and any full sized pistol sticks out like a sore thumb.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

― John Wayne "The Shootist"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:51 AM

I carry CCI mini mags in a Walther P22
And practice, practice, practice.

At 10yds, my wife can put 10 shots in your face with her P22.

I would have to aim center mass.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:03 AM

right now a 380. But I carried a 25acp for many years in my pocket. I saw 25acp gold dots shoot through 3/8s plywood so the old urban legands of bullets bounce off people were just that. Don't know about you but anymore my abs sure aren't as hard as plywood. Small gun in your pocket even if its a 22lr is a heck of a lot better then a 454 left at home.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:30 AM

I carry either a 380 or 9mm or sometimes a naa 22 mag. If I was forced to shoot someone I think its important to have only one side of the story being told. Shooting someone is absolutely the last thing I ever want to do but self defense is everyones right. As far as caliber is concerned any caliber is better than no caliber. For years cattle were killed in packing plants with a .22 short.

mike
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:23 PM

a 22 is more than sufficient as long as you know how to use a small caliber pistol defensively, and your ammo goes off. I will upgrade to a 25 acp when the right one becomes available and that is only for the added assurance of a higher center fire detonation rate over that of the rim fire. My little Beretta 21A is 100% reliable with the right ammunition. CCI ammo detonates every time so far but if I get a failure to fire the chances of my being able to eject the dud and rechamber a hopefully live round and shoot in enough time to make a difference are really pretty darn extra very slim. Hence the intent to go center fire in a small bore.
And you don't want to get in front of a little 50 gn 25 acp slug, even plain jane round nosed ball. True, it moves out more slowly than the 22lr in the same length barrels but that's not saying much as most high speed 22s rarely clock faster than 825-830'/sec from a short barrel. The 50 gn 25 acp round nose ball clocks around 770-780'/sec yet both the 22lr round nose and the 50 gn 25 acp round nose create the same amount of damage in water tests. If you equalize bullet weight with 36 gn hollowpoints in the 22lr and 35 gn hollowpoints in the 25 acp the 25 is faster by about 50'/sec and causes the same amount of damage in water tests. And Bob's yer uncle.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mike View Post
a 22 is more than sufficient as long as you know how to use a small caliber pistol defensively, and your ammo goes off. I will upgrade to a 25 acp when the right one becomes available and that is only for the added assurance of a higher center fire detonation rate over that of the rim fire. My little Beretta 21A is 100% reliable with the right ammunition. CCI ammo detonates every time so far but if I get a failure to fire the chances of my being able to eject the dud and rechamber a hopefully live round and shoot in enough time to make a difference are really pretty darn extra very slim. Hence the intent to go center fire in a small bore.
And you don't want to get in front of a little 50 gn 25 acp slug, even plain jane round nosed ball. True, it moves out more slowly than the 22lr in the same length barrels but that's not saying much as most high speed 22s rarely clock faster than 825-830'/sec from a short barrel. The 50 gn 25 acp round nose ball clocks around 770-780'/sec yet both the 22lr round nose and the 50 gn 25 acp round nose create the same amount of damage in water tests. If you equalize bullet weight with 36 gn hollowpoints in the 22lr and 35 gn hollowpoints in the 25 acp the 25 is faster by about 50'/sec and causes the same amount of damage in water tests. And Bob's yer uncle.
Good post.
I've trained my wife to clear her pistol quickly, but that said, she really does prefer her 25auto
I'm gonna ease over to moss pawn Tuesday and look at a new .25.
The new Phoenix has two safety's so I've gotta look really close at how it operates.

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:46 PM

I have a baby browning .25 that I inherited from my uncle, I have never shot it. I also have a galesi .25, great shape, neat looking little auto. It will shoot twice (maybe) before it jams, its too light for an anchor but that's all its good for.

mike
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike$ View Post
I have a baby browning .25 that I inherited from my uncle, I have never shot it. I also have a galesi .25, great shape, neat looking little auto. It will shoot twice (maybe) before it jams, its too light for an anchor but that's all its good for.

mike
My wife has a Jennings that she's shot for a few years and it's never hiccuped.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in