Teachers. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Default Teachers.

Teachers can take many forms. Public school, army instructors, trade school. Or the school of hard knocks and less than perfectly respectful citizens. Like my "Uncle" Eddie and gang.

I never knew my real father, him being deceased not long after I came into the world. Mom was doing the best she could as a single mom in Washington D.C. working as a waitress. It was her luck and ultimate salvation to catch the eye of one Eddie Gennelli who was one of the partners who owned the nightclub where mom ultimately ended up working. Eddie and his partners were some New York Businessmen who had come down to D.C to take advantage of the rapidly mushrooming growth in the post WW2 Washington environment. Business must have been good as the club prospered and that meant money for me and mom. Especially when Eddie ended up marrying mom after some years of dating and co-habitation.

The side benefit of this was, I ended up with three father/uncle figures for teachers in my pre-teen and teenage years. Okay, maybe some of what I learned wasn't the greatest, but I survived and went on to live a decent life. But some those life's lessons I feel helped.

The very first introduction to guns was when Eddie gave me an impromptu shooting lesson with his little Colt .25 vest pocket pistol he always carried. It was a magical experience, and the feel of that flat hard solid feeling little gun never left me. His lessons about "don't worry about any long range stuff, the guy giving you grief is most likely to be right in front of you" stayed with me. All my life the memory of him shooting that guy with a knife down in that Virginia picnic ground stayed vivid in my memory. His teaching always bringing the gun up to eye level and aiming in a hurry was also good. Very much later in life, reading stuff by Jim Cirillo, I realized that Eddie was ahead of his time.

Then there was the two Tony's. Big Tony was in charge of the restaurant style meals the kitchen served, and ran the daily operations with Eddie. He was called Big Tony to differentiate him from Little Tony. Big Tony was a hulking 6 foot 4ish guy, soft spoken because nobody wanted to anger him into yelling at them. He told people what to do in a quiet polite way, and people did it. Little Tony's job was a little more foggy. He had a workshop in the basement and all kinds of stuff interesting to a kid. A workbench with gun parts and tools and even a bullet trap for test firing when the soundproof door was closed. When I was in my mid teens I asked him one day what his job was. He was quiet for a spell then said he was like an umpire. When there was a problem with some business, he settled the dispute. I left it at that.

One evening when Eddie was over the apartment paying a call on mom, he saw a good puff on my eye. I'd been clobbered by another kid at school over lunch money of all things. Eddie asked what happened and I told him. He didn't say anything then, but the next day he told me to go see Little Tony. I got educated in the bandana through the padlock thing, and it worked like a charm. The bigger kid got some stitches in the noggin when we tangled again and never bothered me again. I'll always remember Little Tony's advise; "If they won't respect ya, then make 'em fear ya."

There was a few times Eddie told me to go see Little Tony. He found me once with a switchblade I'd bought off another kid, and slapped me in the head a good one. Told me that it was a punks weapon and he wasn't raising a punk on his watch. Told me to "go see Little Tony."

Little Tony taught me the art of the crescent wrench, screw driver, dowel rod, hickory or other hardwood walking stick, beer pitcher, beer bottle, and any other blunt force trauma weapon at hand. Taught me to be aware of environment and stuff around in arms reach, and how to deal with someone with a knife. I felt very empowered with he knowledge of what Little Tony taught me. I'll always remember his words; "A knife ain't Jack S--t, and unlike a gun it can't hurt ya if it can't touch ya." He taught me to use anything to block a knife attack from a sofa or chair cushion to bar stool to rolled up magazine to any kind of stick.

It was a very strange adolescence for a kid, and I know that it was somewhat abnormal, but it was handy to know some of those things later in life when I found myself in strange circumstances. Another thing that stuck in my mind was, none of these guys carried any gun of large size. By hook or by crook, bribes of whomever, they all had a license to carry in a city where license to carry was almost unheard of. Eddie, Big Tony, Little Tony, and few of the others all had small pocket size guns like those old Colt, Astra, Beretta .25's, .32's, and a few snubbie .38 revolvers.

I remember one time I asked Little Tony about larger guns. We were down by the bank of the Anocostia river at a deserted spot, and he was giving me some pointers and point shooting practice using his little Colt junior that was a rebadged Astra Cub. I mentioned that a Colt .45 auto would be cool. His answer was a week later. He took us down to the river bank again, and he had a .45. He set up an old ham that the local grocery store had tossed being out of date. In back of it he put a watermelon. Then he shot the watermelon with his .25, and a .22 Colt bankers revolver. The rounds from both guns penetrated the ham and halfway through the watermellon. Then he gave me a speech.

"When you pull a trigger, you'll own that bullet. For better or worse, that's your bullet. If goes through whatever or whoever you shoot, that's still your bullet. You don't need a hand cannon to do the job. That oil pump in the chest doesn't care if the bullet is a quarter inch or three eights of an inch or almost a half inch. Soon as its hit, it stops working and its game over for the chump. A couple or three .25's or .32's will do the job, and the old lady leaving the restaurant down the street with her husband of 50 years will be just fine, because all the bullets stayed in your target."

Then Tony picked up the Colt .45 government model from the gym bag and shot the ham. The .45 round blew right through the ham, blew up the watermelon, and then made a big splattered crater in the muddy embankment in back of it all. Tony pointed to the muddy hole.

"There's the old lady down the street that was coming out of the restaurant with her hubby after celebrating their 50th. That ain't gonna go very well with people. Don't carry too much gun. You don't need a hand cannon, just hit what you're aiming at with what ya got on ya."

That lesson made an impression on me.

Don't over do it, just enough will do.

Last edited by cb51; 11-20-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 09:48 AM

I got to agree with most of what you said, but ammo has changed from that of your youth. The hollow point/frangable type ammo is way better and pass through shots are much less likely. The one thing that sticks in my mind is the drug crazed bad guys/gals, they do NOT react to the shots as normal folks do, you have to ''brake them down'' to stop them. The drugs in their system causes them to not react to gunshots as a person who had no drugs in their system would. I will carry my .45 ACP EDC with it's load of hollow points and rely on it to take care of business if I ever have to use it. I was a cop for 36 years and God protected me, I never had to shoot anyone and I am very proud of that. I would have shot someone had the need been their, but it never was. Take care, John.

It's not what you do, but how you do what you do, that counts.
Just keep on keeping on!
NRA Life Member
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockmeister View Post
I got to agree with most of what you said, but ammo has changed from that of your youth. The hollow point/frangable type ammo is way better and pass through shots are much less likely. The one thing that sticks in my mind is the drug crazed bad guys/gals, they do NOT react to the shots as normal folks do, you have to ''brake them down'' to stop them. The drugs in their system causes them to not react to gunshots as a person who had no drugs in their system would. I will carry my .45 ACP EDC with it's load of hollow points and rely on it to take care of business if I ever have to use it. I was a cop for 36 years and God protected me, I never had to shoot anyone and I am very proud of that. I would have shot someone had the need been their, but it never was. Take care, John.
Totally agree with you to a point. The only semi I ever really loved was the 1911 we had in the army. Great guns and maybe John Brownings finest creation, genus that he was. If I were a cop or soldier, the .45 would be a great pick.

But at a 5' 9" 172 pound arthritic old fart, a .45 is a little much for my abilities, not to mention wardrobe in the Hot Texas weather. I recently moved up to a Ruger LCP, but after the fourth range season something happened to t an tis now jam city with constant fail to ejects. Its on its way back to Ruger as we speak.

The .45 round is a great round, but I'm maybe a bit prejudiced from my growing up in a violent ghetto and seeing too many shootings first hand with crappy little guns like .22's and .25's that didn't go well for the one that was shot. Yes, bigger is better, but one has to weigh ease of carry or it gets left behind sooner or later. And being a city guy, I worry about over penetration. Of the five shootings I've seen close and in person, all were shot by small calibers, and none of the shot people were doing the Walter Houston jig because it was a small bullet. All were down and a few were dead right there, or in very bad non threatening shape. Enough bullet to reach a vital organ will do. In my own case when I wa ambushed in an alley off P street at 1am, two rounds form a .22 derringer that was a Italian copy of the Sharps 4 barrel derringer got me out of there. It took two rounds, but it worked.

I worship John Moses Browning. I think he was the closest thing to a real DeVinci level genius the firearm field ever had. When he invented the .25acp, and the .32 acp, he tried the rounds on goat bodies that he got from a butcher. When it got to the point that it would penetrate to the heart through the hide, ribs, and meat, he stopped and invented the gun that became the Colt .25 vest pocket pistol. Browning would invent the round, then design the gun to go with it. Kind of backwards, but it seemed to work for him. When the wife and I did a Rond the country road trip and camped out in all the big National Parks, we stopped at the Browning museum in Utah and it was educational. That man was beyond genius.

Yes, bigger is nice but not really needed. If the oil pump stops working, its all over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:43 AM

My wife carries a .25 auto and at 5 to 7 yards can keep every shot in your face or your heart.
But some say, what about the high stress situation, can she do the same??
Probably, she's not scared of anything except spiders and snakes.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
My wife carries a .25 auto and at 5 to 7 yards can keep every shot in your face or your heart.
Your wife will be just fine. At the very close range most assaults take place at, she won't miss. If she practices fast center of mass shots, then at the realistic 3 to 5 yards she will put the magazine where it counts. As for people who knock .25's, theres Al.

Al was one of the guys in our old neighborhood. Like most of us, he moved out when he got a decent job, to a place out in Silver Spring, just over the Maryland/D.C. line. He started as a file clerk at the Department of Agriculture and work this way up. He got married and had a kid. But his passion was the martial arts and he got up to some nth degree black belt in karate. He had a case of trophies that he'd won in full contact comet ions so hems have been good. He worked out a lot, and was a gym rat. Big guy, about 6'2" and really in shape to compete.

One day he's coming home on the D.C. metro from his day job as a government cog, and he gets of and walks over to the parking garage to get his car to go home. He and a half dozen other commuters get off the elevator and theres this teenage ghetto gangbanger kid with a shiny little Raven .25 that tells everyone to drop their wallets and get back on the elevator. Everyone drops there wallets except Al.

Al, in a very misguided moment, tries some karate disarm and he misses. The ghetto kid doesn't. Theres a pop that the witnesses say sounded like a firecracker, and Al goes to his knees holdings chest, muttered "Oh Shite" and flops on his face dead. He's been dead ever since, from a itty bitty .25acp round right through the chest wall and into his heart. It did just what John Browning designed it to.

I won't ever sneer at a .25.

The biggest mass muderer in history, Vasily Blokhen, used a Walther .25 auto to kill thousands in the massacre of Polish officers in the Katyn forrest massacre.

Last edited by cb51; 09-09-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 10:52 PM

cb51

Cool life experience you retold there. That is only things most of ever see in the old movies.
I spent a few years at NSA up there.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 05:51 PM

Very interesting story. I had always been a don't let friends carry a mouse gun guy. And after discussing it here some years back and being out of work due to a knee problem I started reading about the use of 22s for defense . Them and 25s and 32s have a better record than I assumed. Yes more than one or two shots are needed often but they tend to work. That said I still like my 38 snub.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 07:40 PM

.My nieces daughter (grand niece?) is small..4'11" 98 #

She asked me about a carry gun..I suggested a reasonably small revolver for dependability in .22 or 22 mag. then practice, practice, practice. Practice until she can hit a large apple at several feet. Then if needed..do facial shots .

I also recommended CCI for dependability. https://www.hipointfirearmsforums.co...r-caliber.108/

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. (Alexander the Great)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
And as you reciently discovered, sinkholes.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2019, 08:52 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

cb51; You need to write a book about your childhood.....I'd buy the first copy. That's good stuff.

I also love the 1911 but have opted to carry a Glock 43x most of the time. I almost always have my tiny NAA 22mag in my pocket.

What's interesting is when you come upon someone new who's past is obscure to you but you can tell by looking them in the eye that they are the real deal. What they know is usually directly related to the circumstances that life has dealt them. I just hired a 32 year old man from Louisiana. He's a super nice lad and a hard worker(I call him a lad but he is 32...that's a lad ain't it). This kid is 6ft tall 220 lbs, has a ZZ Tops beard and is strong as an ox. He is very respectful to me and me to him. He doesn't talk about his past at all but his buddy that came for a visit spelled it out to me. He was a syndicate bill collector in the Slidell/New Orleans area. He has the highest level belt in a half a dozen different martial arts but more importantly he has that look in his eye. I would imagine it's the same street smart look that little Tony probably showed. This kid also carries a "pea shooter" because....His words." All those martial arts belts hangin on the wall don't mean sh!t if someone hits you between the **** with one of these(while holding his pea shooter)." About his past job he will only say, "The money was good but there is no future in it and a man with a young family needs a future." So he left that life and headed to Iowa with his kids future in mind. But he still knows what he knows and that puts him in real good shape to survive life in the cornfields. He has his head screwed on straight and he will be an asset to the rest of the republican rednecks in this town long after I'm gone. I'm glad he's on my side!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page