I miss the little .25's of the 60's. - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
The question or concern isn't whether a given round will kill someone. The question or concern is will it stop them and their aggressive behavior before they are able to kill you.
In 1969, a little Erl Svendsen 4 Aces derringer worked in a bad situation in an alley off P street in D.C. A guy was trying very hard to smash my head in with a crowbar to rob me, and it took two shots to work. The assault did stop with the attacker going down and curling in a fetal position and screaming that his guts were on fire. I ran out the other end of the alley at high speed.

My teen years gang activity sometimes put me in bad places at a bad time.

At the very close range a small caliber gun is used in self defense, they work very well. People don't enjoy getting shot, and in spite of the bull hockey the gun shop guru's spout, people getting shot tend to stop what they are doing that got them shot. It hurts like h--l.

Don't over do it, just enough will do.

Last edited by cb51; 10-28-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_hunter View Post
I have a friend who told me he wouldn't think about deer hunting with a 6.5x55 .When I asked him why,he said because he had shot a feral dog (German Shepard,Right in the (boiler) with one and it never wen't down. When I suggested he must have missed the boiler room, he looked at me like I had slapped him.

The 22 LR,25 auto and other small cal guns will do the job if the right target is hit. My shooting pard and I shoot as often as we can, and practice shooting head size targets at close range.If a lowly 22 lr will kill a Grizz (head shot) it will do a number on a human target in sd.

The little 25 as well.And! less chance of round failure than 22 rimfire.
Good observation.
My wife and I shoot a lot at an indoor range.
I buy silhouette targets with a man's head and tell her "aim small hit small." I don't know who first said those words but they work.
At 20' she will shoot a few clips from her .25 and then a few clips from her Walther P22 and put every shot in the head. She then does a few clips rapid fire at the heart area and does really well. She's better than me.
Some will say, "can she do it in a stress situation?" Yes I believe she can, she's not the type to back down from anything.
I call her nasty Nancy.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 12:40 PM

Always wanted a little .25 but settled for a Model 1934 Beretta .380, I remember it also had 1943 stamped on it. The old guy I bought it from said he brought it back from France when he came home from WW2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrallen51 View Post
Always wanted a little .25 but settled for a Model 1934 Beretta .380, I remember it also had 1943 stamped on it. The old guy I bought it from said he brought it back from France when he came home from WW2.
It's hard to find one except on Gunbroker and all but the Raven are expensive.
But there is one now made in Canada that has two safeties and is kinda unwieldy but it is well made besides that.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...phoenix-hp25a/

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
It's hard to find one except on Gunbroker and all but the Raven are expensive.
But there is one now made in Canada that has two safeties and is kinda unwieldy but it is well made besides that.
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...phoenix-hp25a/
Uhh, that particular Ontario is in California.

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 03:22 PM

When I take my dogs out for a walk in my woods, I usually put my 1908 Colt in .25 in my pocket. I had to put a rabid raccoon down about a month ago, and it did the deed.

Its a tiny pistol for my big hands but when it is needed, it does the job.

When I first got my "new" property (5 wooded acres) 2 yrs ago, I was walking in the woods and saw a groundhog at about 50 yards away. I took a shot at him and he didn't even blink. When I got closer to him, I found out that I had put him down with 1 extremely lucky shot. I played the lottery that night, but I used up all my luck on that 1 shot.

The Colt is a nice small pistol that easily fits in my pocket and is probably under powered for a CCW, but if it was needed, it would get the point across.

WTF?? A Silverado that pops up repeatedly isnt enough?
Now I have to scroll down through a page of Silverado before I can get to the message board?

You can shove your membership that the Silverado pop up is holding me hostage for.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb51 View Post
Uhh, that particular Ontario is in California.
I stand corrected.
Anyhow, I wouldn't mind having one on my bookcase with both safeties off.
But then, I don't really need one.

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

I just wish that Beretta would bring back the jet fire.

But I'd settle for the Baby Browning getting an exemption to be brought back to the U.S.

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 12:49 PM

Had a Raven 25 , tomcat 32 and AMC 380 all to small imho to be easy to use . Now a 22 mag mini revolver if that small one s needed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page