I miss the little .25's of the 60's. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Default I miss the little .25's of the 60's.

Just the past few years I came to the realization that I had crossed the threshold of being an old fart. Its been a lot of miles, over a lot of bad roads, and seeing the big seven-oh in the alarmingly not to distant future I look back on certain things with nostalgia. Cars, manners, guns, and music. I miss cars that it took all of 30 minutes to Put in new plugs, points and condenser, spray some Gumout down the carb and your good to go. I miss music that you can actually dance with your girl to, and understand the words that wouldn't embarrass your grandmother.

But I miss the little .25 autos that were so common place in the 60's. The gun world was a much less complicated place back then. Everyone had a ".38. If it was for home protection then it was a generic Colt Official police or a Smith and Wesson model 10 of some variant. If you wanted a concealable gun, then people got a "snub nose .38" like Joe Friday, Peter Gunn, Frank Cannon, and all the other Hollywood gumshoes.

But for others, who valued really deep concealable guns, the little .25's were the nuts. The Baby Brownings, Beretta Jetfires, Colt juniors/Astra Cubs, Erma, Mauser, Bauer's, Gallesi were popular. Flat little packages that dropped in a pants pocket and didn't give you away by dragging your pants down to half mast.

The very first gun I ever fired, was a flat little old Colt .25. Not the later Colt junior that looked like a mini 1911, but the real one, from 1908. John Brownings vest pocket pistol. All smooth like a bar of soap that has been in a shower for a while. Nice rounded off corners and smooth curves unlike the modern pistols that are like sawn off pieces of 2X4 shrunk down. The old Colt was all about concealment and finesse. Very nicely finished little gun, it felt great in hand. Recoil was almost non existent and at 10 to 12 feet was very accurate.

The little Beretta jet fire was a great one. With an eight round magazine and one the chamber, you had nine 50 grain projectiles on hand that would go right thru a wool tweed sport coat and sternum and stop the oil pump right then. The Beretta also felt great in the hand. Mild recoil and accurate it was a great little self defense pistol for the close encounters of the ugly kind. Nowadays, in spite of my cane, I fall down a lot from trying to kick myself in the a$$ any time I think of the one I sold in one of the many gun trades I've made.

I know, modern guns are a long way from the old ones, and now you have .380's the size of some of the old .25's. But are they really as good? The Ruger LCP series and the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard equivalent feel like crap in the hand. Skimpy grip, plasticly cheap feel, and nasty snappy recoil. They are effective weapons, no doubt, but are they as nice a gun to shoot? Heck no. The Baby Growing was like a Swiss watch, when the Swiss were still making watches. A tiny marvel of fine workmanship and crisp trigger. The Beretta was also a crisp trigger and was actually fun to shoot, if a bit expensive.

I'm not sure progress has been made.

Don't over do it, just enough will do.

Last edited by cb51; 10-19-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:23 PM

Gun Cabinet

I had a Jennings .380, and that is the smallest auto that I have owned. It was pretty cool, and I paid $50 for it.

Quote:
The very first gun I ever fired, was a flat little old Colt .25. Not the later Colt junior that looked like a mini 1911, but the real one, from 1908. John Brownings vest pocket pistol. All smooth like a bar of soap that has been in a shower for a while. Nice rounded off corners and smooth curves unlike the modern pistols that are like sawn off pieces of 2X4 shrunk down. The old Colt was all about concealment and finesse. Very nicely finished little gun, it felt great in hand. Recoil was almost non existent and at 10 to 12 feet was very accurate.
Those days are gone for good, sad to say.

The wicked shall be turned into Hades, and all the nations that forget God. For the needy shall not alway be forgotten: the expectation of the poor shall not perish for ever. Psalm 9:17, 18

Last edited by Suspect At Large; 10-19-2019 at 05:27 PM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 07:34 PM

Most of the time my wife will leave her P22 behind and carry her .25 auto.
She shoots it very well.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 12:57 AM

My mother gave me her Beretta Jetfire .25 acp. I admit I haven't carried it but do keep it loaded. I have some 35 grain Speer Gold Dot ammo that I plan to test on water jugs to see how they open and penetrate.

Bruce

Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 07:25 AM

Where I grew up, if someone even heard the phrase 'carry gun", they would probably panic and call the local constablary!

Well, some years ago, (not nearly enough), I left Jersey and moved into the land of the free, Pa. I now carry all the time, have several handguns, and unfortunately wasn't around here to get to see all the little guns you're all talking about...... but I'm here now!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Where I grew up, if someone even heard the phrase 'carry gun", they would probably panic and call the local constablary!

Well, some years ago, (not nearly enough), I left Jersey and moved into the land of the free, Pa. I now carry all the time, have several handguns, and unfortunately wasn't around here to get to see all the little guns you're all talking about...... but I'm here now!
Guns were not exactly legal when I grew up in Washington D.C. either. We were a bunch of teenage hoodlums and I ended up working for the man who was dating my mother. They were a bunch of criminals from NYC that came down to D.C. to open a night club in the post war mushrooming capital. Theres just as many gun in Camden or Newark New Jersey as D.C., people just don't advertise them.

Heck, I got my very first gun from the gun guy that met me out by the trash dumpster in back of the bowling alley. I was 17 years old. I carried that gun a lot until I had to toss it in the river after I had to use it. The gun guy had another one.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:20 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

My old coyote hunting buddy Woody had a Beretta 25 acp. He didn't reload and kept bringing me the spent cases and asking me to reload them. I told him that he would have to buy the dies and shell holder in order for it to happen. I should have just said no from the get go. The 25 ACP, Rock Chucker press and my big fingers made work of it and I pinched my fingers more than once.

I was glad when he parted ways with that little gun. However I'll not call them useless or underpowered when I myself have a NAA 22 mag in my pocket quite often. It keeps me from feeling naked!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:29 AM

I really like the NAA tip up model, Santa may bring me one this Christmas!

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post

I was glad when he parted ways with that little gun. However I'll not call them useless or underpowered when I myself have a NAA 22 mag in my pocket quite often. It keeps me from feeling naked!
The little NAA mini's are my favorite carry guns. Always have one, if not two on me at any time. If I put my pants on in the morning, the mini is already in the right pocket. They have saved me a couple times just by being there.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
I really like the NAA tip up model, Santa may bring me one this Christmas!
That's what I bought, and Amazon says my new larger rubber grips will be here tomorrow.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in