Who are we defending against? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Default Who are we defending against?

I feel it's a valid question.

Everyone has their own life experience t go by, and things may differ according to where you are, what you're doing, and most of all, who you are.

The gun magazines and the gun industry in general pushes an agenda of sales that has a lot of people thinking they need a Glock 17 and at least two spare rounds of ammo to go tot he store for a quart of milk. I understand about sales, and economics. Buthgow much gun does the Joe Average citizen need while going about his day to day life?

I didn't grow up in a farm or ranch community, and to e Mayberry is a fictional place in a TV show. my childhood was spent in a place where our playground was a back alley. I never had a father, and my mother was a single working mom who did what was needed to pay the rent and put food on the table. As an adolescent, I helped and we had a bit of gang from our run down apartment building in a not nice part of D.C. If our backs were to the wall at the end of the month, we'd get money any way we could.

Violence was common on the street, and by the time I was a teen, Had seen a few shootings and a few knifings. That was life in a ghetto. It happens. People had guns to protect themselves, and if push came to shove, they'd use them. Of course right afterward, they'd dump the gun in the river and lay low, and after a few weeks go see the gun guy again at night and get another 'cool' piece. Mostly .22 or .25 caliber in a small pocket size gun.

Of the five shootings I saw, none were done with anything over .25acp. Mostly a mixed bag of cheap RG revolvers in .22lr, and Galesi, Erma and other cheap .25's. Nobody I saw get shot and hit in the body was doing the Walter Houston jig after getting shot with a small gun. Any bullet in the body core all seemed to the the victim down to the pavement.

The type of criminal you run into on the street is not of a high caliber. Street pus who are big chicken s--ts by nature and usually run at the first sign the would be victim is armed and is going to fight back. Devout cowards, they don't want to get shot by anything. They know any bullet penetrating the human body is bad news. If it doesn't kill you on the spot, then you need a hospital, and that means cops. Bad Ju-ju. Very bad ju-ju.

I don't think most citizens will be doing anything to antagonize a Mexican drug cartel, or the local chapter of a ****'s Angles club. The run of the mill citizen going home from work, picking the dry cleaning, picking up some Chinese carry out for dinner, only runs the fish of the target of opportunity street slide. The human vultures looking for an easy meal. If they have a gun at all it will be by chance. The favorite weapon of muggrs is a knife, and a cheap one at that, that can be tossed down a sewer fast once they are away from the crime scene. Usually a cheap paring knife, or gas station serrated edge tactical wonder. If a gun, they may not even have a full load of ammo on board the stolen gun that hasn't been cleaned or maintained in any way since it was stolen in a burglary. An amazing amount of street robberies are strong arm robberies. The fact is, if a victim is picked carefully, theres no weapon needed. A sudden sucker punch and they roll the semi conscious victim with a few kicks in the head for yuks.

Most crimes like muggings, car jackings, sexual assaults, take place at a few feet range, 5 yards is actually a long range shoot on the street. Its all going to be over in a few seconds, at a few feet, with a few shots.

I recently talked to tot he counter guy at the local Academy Sports, and they have a problem keeping the Ruger LCP, LCP2, S&W .380 bodyguard, Glock 42 and 43, and the little SIG .380 in stock. The hands down seller is the regular LCP at 199.00. Price has some to do with it, but I think a lot of people want small for easy carry.

Seeing how its all going to be over in a few shots, that makes sense.

Don't over do it, just enough will do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:05 PM

Yep, the strung out doper that needs a shot to the head to put him down is probably easily avoided because they are loud and visible.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 10:51 PM

Well, like you said, a .22 or .25 will kill you just as dead as the .40 I usually carry, but honestly I'd rather have my .40. I don't knowingly antagonize anyone, let alone an armed violence prone group, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to run into a situation where someone else antagonized them.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 10:56 PM

CB there's a lot of truth in what you say. IMO the fact is that most of the violent crime we know of is usually confined to a particular class of society (not necessarily race) that most of us have no contact with. The next level is people who are closely associated with one another through personal relationships such as family or former marital relationship (ex. brothers-in-law). Once you've made the decision to never associate with stupid people doing stupid things or ending association with those who change your risk factor goes way down.

For those who become the random target of a robbery, carjacking, invasion burglary or nut job on the loose a swift an violent response by the intended victim will usually end the confrontation. As you said, the crook counts on the victim being compliant and has no desire to be injured or killed himself. In the incidents I have responded to or investigated where the victim reacted with equal or superior force typically ended with the suspect(s) fleeing, even if they had superior numbers. The criminal is unlikely to stand and fight to the death though he may return fire to cover his exit.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 11:30 PM

Well, we can discuss calibers all day, but since I had a S&W 9mm which I shot very well, and since I had a terrible time wracking the slide with my arthritic hands or loading the magazine, I did the only thing I could and swapped it to Graybeard for his Walther P22 which my wife carries occasionally when not carrying her 25 auto.
I also carry a Walther P22 (mine is the old model) or my spanking new NAA Ranger II in 22mag.
I have to pocket carry the NAA because you can't find a hip holster for it.
So, when I scrounge up some rawhide, my wife will make a holster for it.

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
I also carry a Walther P22 (mine is the old model) or my spanking new NAA Ranger II in 22mag.
I have to pocket carry the NAA because you can't find a hip holster for it.
So, when I scrounge up some rawhide, my wife will make a holster for it.

Hi Bug! That NAA we both like having in our pocket, (I have the .22 Magnum, and also the tiny .22LR inserted in the very niftey belt buckle the wife got me for it), but that NAA IWB holster they sell clips very handily inside the pocket as well. Makes access very simple, and it can be dropped inside the front pocket if more discrete carry is needed.

That said, I always have my little Magnum with me, and if I'm leaving the house for any length of time I have a little P365 in a Sneaky Pete holster, just in case. Like I think everyone else, I have no desire to use it unless there is no choice, and that translate out to a knife, gun, or baseball bat ready to do one or both of the wife and me serious harm.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Hi Bug! That NAA we both like having in our pocket, (I have the .22 Magnum, and also the tiny .22LR inserted in the very niftey belt buckle the wife got me for it), but that NAA IWB holster they sell clips very handily inside the pocket as well. Makes access very simple, and it can be dropped inside the front pocket if more discrete carry is needed.

That said, I always have my little Magnum with me, and if I'm leaving the house for any length of time I have a little P365 in a Sneaky Pete holster, just in case. Like I think everyone else, I have no desire to use it unless there is no choice, and that translate out to a knife, gun, or baseball bat ready to do one or both of the wife and me serious harm.
I like a hip holster and you can buy a left hand IWB and clip it on your belt but it imprints more than my P22.
So my wife will make a high ride holster that also tips the butt forward a little like my P22 holster.
That kinda tucks it under my belly fat.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I like a hip holster and you can buy a left hand IWB and clip it on your belt but it imprints more than my P22.
So my wife will make a high ride holster that also tips the butt forward a little like my P22 holster.
That kinda tucks it under my belly fat.
bugeye, google Desert Gun leather and go to the NAA section. Rick Jorgenson specializes in all kinds of holsters for the NAA revolvers and he show a lot of his work on the NAA forum for the mini revolvers. High ride pancake, cross draw, pocket holster, whatever you can want.

Also, DeSantis makes a vey nice leather pocket holster for the mini's that works very well. I've been using one for many years now and it doesn't print, is easy to draw the gun in a hurry, and it also has a small pocket that holds 5 extra rounds. I think NAA may even have them on the website under accessories.

Check out the NAA mini forum.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb51 View Post
bugeye, google Desert Gun leather and go to the NAA section. Rick Jorgenson specializes in all kinds of holsters for the NAA revolvers and he show a lot of his work on the NAA forum for the mini revolvers. High ride pancake, cross draw, pocket holster, whatever you can want.

Also, DeSantis makes a vey nice leather pocket holster for the mini's that works very well. I've been using one for many years now and it doesn't print, is easy to draw the gun in a hurry, and it also has a small pocket that holds 5 extra rounds. I think NAA may even have them on the website under accessories.

Check out the NAA mini forum.
I'll check out desert gun leather right now. Thanks.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll check out desert gun leather right now. Thanks.
You won't be disappointed, he does really really great work. And he's a mini fan to boot.

I really believe that with one or two mini's on you, that you're well protected from the crimes of opportunity that most citizens will face in a day to day life.

For home defense, that's what short barrel shotguns are for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page