How many bullets is enough? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Default How many bullets is enough?

Not trying to bring up the old argument of which gun is better or best size ammo for defense. Just asking what most people consider when talking how much ammo they think is enough in a loaded gun. I have carried everything from a 2 round derringer to multiple round Glocks and every thing in between. My current carry is a 5 round revolver. If I could get a 6 round light revolver I'd probably try it also. I bought a 6 round Taurus that is pretty light but when it comes to my life a S&W, Colt or ? Just seems better suited. I am not asking the question about semi auto versus revolvers. Just seeing what others think is enough is enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 04:24 PM

When carrying my Sig P938 I have the 7 round mag +1 in the chamber and a spare 7 round mag. When carrying my 5 shot Taurus 38 snubby I put 5 extra rounds in my pocket.

357 Mag camo syn stock, 30/30 cinnamon lam checkered straight grip stock, 20 ga USH camo syn stock, 20 ga Topper Jr 490 cut to 21.5" and Rem Chokes, 357 Rem Max nickel Topper 88 .410 stock.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 04:35 PM

I have no Intention of gettin in a Firefight with Anyone....I figgure, if I cant get out of a Problem with the 5rds, in My little 2in. .38spc. I'm probable not gonna get out of It no matter how many I have in My Pocket...IMHO...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 04:54 PM

I don't think it matters how many you carry as much as it matters how many you hit with. The smaller the number of rounds the most incapacitating the hits have to be for you to survive the encounter. If, of course you encounter more assailants than you have ammo then you may have a choice as to how to deal with the situation; if it is a one on one or two against one then your chances are better, maybe. Just remember that you can make all the noise you want but if you don't connect in such a way as to thwart the attack, well, ooooops ........ So maybe it becomes a matter of what you can hit best with. Just sayin' ....
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orerancher View Post
I have no Intention of gettin in a Firefight with Anyone....I figgure, if I cant get out of a Problem with the 5rds, in My little 2in. .38spc. I'm probable not gonna get out of It no matter how many I have in My Pocket...IMHO...
Kinda how I got it figured now. My main carry now is a small 5 shot revolver. Like you if 5 isn't enough I'm in a heap of trouble anyway.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

How many are needed? At least one more than whatever self defense situation you get into took to solve it.

Most time I carry a S&W Shield with an 8 round mag, one in the chamber and a spare mag. In over 50 years of carrying I've never had to fire even a single round. I don't go remotely close to where I figure anything dangerous is happening. I don't go out at night.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
How many are needed? At least one more than whatever self defense situation you get into took to solve it.

Most time I carry a S&W Shield with an 8 round mag, one in the chamber and a spare mag. In over 50 years of carrying I've never had to fire even a single round. I don't go remotely close to where I figure anything dangerous is happening. I don't go out at night.
Had a shield, dang good gun and very comfortable to carry. It was at one time my favorite carry gun until my Grandson seen and shot it. Now its his. So instead of buying a new one I just went to the 5 shot 38. Go figure. 🙂
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 07:16 PM

In the winter of 1969 in Washington D.C. i was the victim of a would-be mugging. It took two rounds from a .22 to stop the assault. One attacker was down the other one ran before the second shot was fired.

In April of 1988, I used one round to stop a situation in a remote backpacking location on the Appalachian trail in the Shenandoah National park. One round from a North American Arms .22 mini revolver.

On Sunday morning of Memorial Day weekend 2017, it was an attempted car jacking at an interstate rest stop just past Ft. Hancock Texas. No shots fired, just presence of firearm and they ran.

In 1969 I witnessed a shooting just outside the window of Gaffney's Irish Bar on the corner of 14th street and Colorado ave, in Washington D.C. Two guys arguing evolved to a shoving match and the guy starting the fight pulled a strait razor on his opponent. The other guy pulled a small revolver that looked like a cheap RG 22, and shot the razor guy three times. Razor guy fell back on the pavement and coughed and gagged up a lot of foamy blood, then was dead when the medics and cops got there. Three rounds ended attack.

In 1986, a friend of a friend was getting his car in the D.C. Merto parking garage and was mugged by a teenage gang banger. The friend, named Al, tried one of his black belt karate moves, it failed and he got shot by the Raven .25 the gang banger had. Al fell on his face and died immediately face down on the pavement. One round from a .25acp at very close range.

It doesn't seem to take a lot of rounds.

Don't over do it, just enough will do.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I might start carrying the Taurus 856. I do like the option of 6 shots over 5 and the size is almost the same as the SW. I guess it all boils down to personal preference. Kinda like a semi auto over a revolver. I know when I carried my Bond arms I never felt under gunned but I did feel short of firepower because of only 2 bullets.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 07:42 AM

I picked up two Sig 365's, one each for both me and the wife. With the optional magazine, (we each have one) they hold 13 9mm rounds with one in the pipe. As for how many rounds would we feel comfortable with? We both pray to GOD we never find out, but with the amount of range time we put in, two 365's with 13 rounds each, + two extra magazines for a total of 46 available shots I still don't see us as complaining we had"too many bullets".

All that said, I find myself carrying either my Walther PPS m2, or S&W Shield. Why? I shoot them in falling plates competition, and practice may just save you life. These only hold 9 each with one in the pipe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page