Who here hunt coyotes with a single shot? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Default Re: Who here hunt coyotes with a single shot?

I meant no disrespect to my friends who use an AR. I apologize if it was taken that way.

Newest toy? Glock 42
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 12:34 PM

my primarry yote gun is a h&r 22-250 but i have been known to take the ol mossburg out in thick cover..
then again for night calling it is only legal to use a shot gun or rim fire so that would include the marlin 22 mag
rw

A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun. - Don Henley
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcencore3006
Nope. I hunt with a 22-250 Encore. I just keep seeing all these AR's being advertised for yote huntin. Maybe they are bad shots. Should only take 1 shot to kill a coyote.
Takes more than one to kill the whole pack. Lot of guys get doubles. Someone posted in Handi forum about winging one, getting a cse stuck, and not being able to finish it off for a few minutes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:40 PM

Does it count if I'm just a coyote shooter, not a coyote hunter. My hunting consists of looking out the back windows several times a day, especially just before dark. I shot this one just before Christmas at 110 yds. with my Ruger #1 .219 DW PDK (30-30 case 1.900 long 35* shoulder). Load was 55gr NBT, 33.0gr Varget, 3625 fps. Shot this one out second floor bedroom window, shot one from fence post at about 100 yds back in early Dec. before the snow cover. That one stood watching my 4 and 5 year old grandsons and our small dog in the back yard while I got rifle out of safe and walked to the fence and shot it. To see a pic of this rifle and cartridge go to page three of the ongoing thread "single shot rifle pictures".

I'm storeing my Ruger #3 .204 Wasp in the bedroom closet now to see if I can get a coyote with a 39gr BK or 40 V-Max at 4000 fps. This #3 was a .219 Wasp for 16 years and had 6000+ rounds fired at paper and PD's. Here is a pic of me with the #3 kneeling at the window. Since then I've been sitting on a short stool.

This is the view out the back window, That dog I shot out the window was just above the left fence post at the top of the first hill. About a week ago I saw one at about 350 yds, but never got a shot, it would never stop while in an opening in the tree limbs.

This pic is farther left, plenty of wide open space, if they would just stop for me there.

This pic is my .204 Wasp rifles. The #1 in back has 1100+ rounds with two trips to S.D. PD towns. It works so well that I decided I needed another one and ordered a 11" twist .20 cal barrel from Pac-Nor early last year for the #3.

One last pic of the #3 with the .204 Wasp cartridge.

Dave in IN
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 08:50 PM

Got one with my Ruger #3 .204 Wasp late this afternoon.
Glanced out the window this afternoon, saw a coyote behind neighbors barn. By the time I got upstairs and got rifle out of closet it had moved on back to where it was about 300 yds away. He was under the pine tree that is 45 degrees up and left from the Black Angus cow in the first pic. He was in a clear spot through the trees so I let fly with a 40gr V-Max out of the Ruger #3 .204 Wasp. He was still kicking so I hit him again. Turned out that there was a little more left to right wind than I allowed for.

As you can see from the blood trail it wasn't a bang-flop, he made about 30 feet down the bank onto the frozen pond. Not the bullets fault, just bad hits on my part. Nice fur like the last one and a little larger.

Dave in IN
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:10 AM

When I go out I carry three guns. A Handi Ultra in .223, for Coyotes and Foxes. A handi 30-06, for single Wolves at a distance. A ruger Mini-14, for a pack of Wolves up close, and out to 400yards. The reason for the Auto, is to take out the entire pack. Usually five to nine animals. I also carry a TCR in .338 Win Mag during the Fall Moose/Grizzly season.

Where is old Joe when we really need him? Alaska Independence Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourdough
When I go out I carry three guns. A Handi Ultra in .223, for Coyotes and Foxes. A handi 30-06, for single Wolves at a distance. A ruger Mini-14, for a pack of Wolves up close, and out to 400yards. The reason for the Auto, is to take out the entire pack. Usually five to nine animals. I also carry a TCR in .338 Win Mag during the Fall Moose/Grizzly season.
Where are you located Sourdough that you are taking on a pack of wolves?

Newest toy? Glock 42
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Gun Cabinet

He's up in interior Alaska. Lucky dog!

-WH-

NMLRA Life Member
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 10:36 AM

If I am set shooting I can use my highwall in .219DW, otherwise I use my Savage bolt action in .243. I have a NEF in .243 with the 22 inch bull barrel but would only use it for about a 50 yard shot or less due to never knowing where my bullet will go.
GuzziJohn
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 11:29 AM

I take my Baikal combination rifle shotgun 30-06 over a 12 ga. Use 55 grain 223 bullets in a 30-06 sabot or Hornady 110 grain, both bullets are Vmax. #4 Buck in the 12 ga. Have a kicks choke in the 12 ga that patterns well out to 50 yds. So I'm all set, use the 12 ga for up close and the 30-06 to reach out and touch em. It's a single shot anyway you look at it. Goin this afternoon. Wish me luck.
OB

Retired Navy Chief. Predator hunter in training.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page