Navy Arms 1885 High Wall Rifle - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Default Navy Arms 1885 High Wall Rifle

Thanks again Gunny.

This is a learning thing for me and you are teaching me well.
So far, you are the only one I've met who both owns and is informed about the High Wall rifle.

Bill

Measure twice. Cut once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 09:05 PM

RWS,
Since you live in Oklahoma City, you should take a look at Outdoors America. I was there last year visiting relatives, and they had the Uberti Hi Walls sold under the Taylor's brand name. They were in either .45-70, .45-90, or .38-55, and all were under $650! I thought they were excellent looking guns, and the price was so good, I wish I was a resident, so I could have bought one! If I remember corectly, they were in 30-34" barrel lengths. Full octagon, with straight grips.

Ballard, the great American Rifles!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Marlinman.

That's the first place I shopped. Unfortunately, Outdoor America no longer carries Navy Arms products.
They said they could order a Cimmaron, but were talking 8 months and $1500.
Since you were there, what do you think of the service staff?
There's no question that Outdoor America has the best prices, but their help, particularly their gunsmith, are real a$$holes IMO.

Bill

Measure twice. Cut once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 08:53 PM

Same thing my brother told me before we went there! He warned me that getting someone to give decent customer service, even when the store was empty, would be like pulling teeth!
I didn't need anyone to help me look at the Taylors, but when I wanted to ask them a question, they took forever to come over, and then knew very little about the product. I had to do some investigation when I got home, to find out Taylors were made by Uberti.
Overall, I understand what you're talking about, but if they had one in stock, and I lived there, I would have bought from them, just because they were so cheap. My brother said he doesn't like going there, but he can't help it with their pricing.
You might check with another dealer on the Taylors. My local dealer told me he could order one for under $750 for me. I have an original 1918 High Wall, in .22LR, and I'd sure like to have a centerfire, but originals are way too expensive!

Ballard, the great American Rifles!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

There is a web dealer called < www.northamericanrifleman.com > that has the Uberti for just under $800. The most necessary vernier tang sight is another $75.
The last time I visited Outdoor America to buy a rifle, I wanted a T/C Encore in .270 caliber. I had the necessary $469 in cash in my pocket. The salesman pissed me off so bad that I left. I went to Outdoor Outfitters (ask your brother) and they matched their price with a smile.
I have a new friend who just moved here from AZ. He is both a shooter and a darned good smith. He wanted to visit Outdoor America.
Anyway, it took less than 20 minutes for this kind-hearted soul to become absolutely irate in that store. I hate the place. Still, I was there just last week to pick up a few boxes of Sellier & Belliot .223 FMJ for $3 a box.
I'm really close to buying that High Wall. My Irish friend (mentioned above) just bought a Moisen Nagant and wants me to shoot "as issued" military with him. Hmmmmmm. a 6.5mm Mauser and all the reloading equipment for less than half the cost. And someone to compete with?
I wish I was wealthy.

Bill

Measure twice. Cut once.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page