Ruger #1-woo hoo!! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2004, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Default Ruger #1-woo hoo!!

Just lucked into a like NIB #1 in 257 roberts and I am excited!! Just wondering what kind of scope to top it with?? And what kind of range can I expect with factory loads?

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 03:51 PM

Dave,

I prefer a good variable scope. On the .257 Roberts I would go with a good quality scope(Leupold, Burris, etc.) in the 3-12X or 4-16X, 40 to 44mm range to take advantage of the accuracy that this round is capable of. I have a 4-16x 44mm on my No.1 in .25-06. You got a good one there and Welcome to the World of Quarter Bores[/color]. Small groups and tight lines to you. Lawdog

Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 08:31 PM

You should be excited lubbockdave. I've owned a Ruger No. 1 in .257 Roberts for nearly 25 years now. It's accounted for deer and a number of our groundhogs, the farthest away being just over 400 yards - one shot, dropped like a hammer hit him. Mine wears an old 4-12 Bushnell with the trajectory compensating feature in offset rings to get me a bit more eye relief. Much better scopes are available today, but this one does the job for me. Can't help you much with factory ammunition, as I'm a dedicated handloader. For your prairie dogs around there, I'd prefer a smaller caliber and usually use one of the high stepping .22 calibers for that when I come back to your area in the summer (Texas Tech ex - can't get it out of my blood). If you have some leads for me regarding who I might talk to about hunting prairie dogs around Lubbock or further north in the Amarillo area I sure would appreciate it! I've been hunting on a place south of Lubbock for the past few years (a couple of days each summer) but it's getting a bit iffy.

Enjoy your Ruger; they're great rifles.

RonF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 11:37 PM

Default I really like my Number 1 rifle

and I got oit for a great price too $350! In my favorite caliber too 45/70.
I want to get one of those New England firearms peep sights. It mounts in the scope dovetails and easily removeable and keeps its zero as well. Not cheap for about $80 but its worth it for folks like me who prefer iron sights to scopes.
Jim L

Jim L
Proud TFL alumnus

Invalid e-mail address. TOS Violation. Acct. Deactivated
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 08:39 PM
EDG

The best fitting scopes are longer those that are longer from the turret rearward. I find the 3X9 Leupold too short to see through easily with the standard rings. I have an older Burris 2X7 not because I prefer the Burris brand but because if its greater length.
Ed
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2004, 11:43 AM

Default Single Shot Rifles

Dave,
A 6.5x20 Leupold Var x111 is a good choice to fit. The scope has best eye relief, and fitted with a Ruger offset to rear ,rear ring mount will give you comfortable mounting if required. I have two No 1s setup this way.They are great rifles.

Regards southpaw.

Make every shot count.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2004, 04:55 PM

Dave a lot of ammo for the 257 Roberts is underloaded due to some old rifles still around. For modern firearms look for the +P designation on the box or the Hornady Light Magnums. Good luck. POW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page