Need help with a repoduction Sharps - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Bis

Default Need help with a repoduction Sharps

Zrifleman-Without going thru all the expense of dies and sizers ect. do you have any suggestions for a manufacture of cast bullets? At some point in time I will probably buy all the good stuff, but since I am just starting out in reloading and have spent a bundle , at least in the eyes of my financial advisor ( my wife :-) ). I noticed in the catalogs that cast bullets are .001 larger dia. than jacketed bullets, why is that? Also how do cast bullets hold up when shooting deer?

Thanks for taking all the time to answer all of my questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 11:55 AM

Although I've yet to cast for the .45 rifle I might be able to shed a bit of light. In the sidearms and rifles I have cast for .001 seems to work better than anything else with the exception of one particular revolver that had huge chamber mouths. That needed to be about .002 over the chamber and nearly .004 over bore diameter. Even then once in awhile I'd get a huge flyer and not always on the same chamber. In most cases I've cast with wheelweight mixed with some tin and pure lead depending on the application. I do the lazy man's heat treating by just dropping from the mold into water with a decent lube, LBT Blue, home mix of vaseline, paraffin and case lube, it holds up well to 1400 fps or so without gaschecks. I hate gaschecks for the most part because they require extra work and that time is better used killing rocks I figure. As how they hold up on deer. Not sure. Never seen one after shooting a deer from any angle, not even stem to stern and that's with a 250 grain .44. I'd reckon that in a .45 rifle and a 400+ grain bullet it'd more than likely shoot through a bison from most any direction.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 12:01 PM

Bis--Try to pick up a used lubrisizer--all you need with it is a .457 die and top punch. Then you are in business for life. You can start with an inexpensive Lee mold until you can afford a better one. If you like casting bullets you probably will end up with a collection of molds and sizer dies. That's what gun shows are for. Wheel weights are a cheap source of good lead alloy. Boxes of 500 cast bullets already lubed and sized can easily be had at local gun shops and gun shows. A lot of reproductions have a true groove diameter of .456. The Lyman book recommends .457-.458 dia. The reason you go .001 over is to seal the bore--if it's undersized gas blows by and you end up leading the barrel. Most commercial cast bullest are cast too hard for good expansion on deer--better to cast your own. On deer they produce a large hole with very little hydrostatic shock. My experience has been with paper patch bullets. Results for most hunters are generally excellent with well placed shots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Bis

Zrifleman- I hate to bother you with more dumb questions, but I am a little confused.
I am sitting here looking at a Lee catalog. They list molds in 457 and 459 dia for about $20, how do I tell what dia. I need. Do I mic. the barrel and then how tight should it be. But then I look at the "lube and sizing kit" and the bullets come out at .457 so does it matter what size bullet mold I get if they all come out at .457? Also , I presume that my new "classic press" will handle the sizing.
Also I noticed that none of the molds mention a gass checks. How important are they?
As to gun shows, around here they are a little weak. I went to the local one ( 50 miles one way) a year ago. They had prices for a beat 03A3 that you would think you were buying for a museum. I guess I am just spoiled by the gun shows in L.A. or at the least the ones they use to have. The same goes for gun shops ( we are out in the boon docks), the closest one is 50 miles one way, most of us rely on Wal-Mart.
Thank you for all the info, I really appreciate it.

PS I take it from your post that you work nights or have a hard time sleeping :-)
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 04:49 PM

Bis-Usually molds that say .457 are designed to cast bullets with Lyman alloy #2 or its equivalent--harder lead alloys that shrink less when they cool in the mold. Molds marked .459 cast a slightly larger bullet allowing for additional shrinkage of pure lead or very soft lead alloys. The lubrisizer is different than reloading press--the dies it uses are specifically for it. Gas checks help to reduce leading almost completely and protect the base of the bullet. You need the above to properly install gaschecks. Running cast bullets thru a lubrisizer lubes them uniformly, also sizes them uniformly. Like a lot of other reloaders--I avoided casting rifle and pistol bullets for almost 20 yrs. Now I mostly shoot my own cast bullets, I shoot more and for less money--by the way I also shoot better.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Bis

Thanks to everyone that replied, just sorry it took so long to get back to to you all, have been unable to get the computer working. I am going to try the 300 grain jacked bullets 1. to see if I can reload properly (first time at reloading) and 2. because I have a box of them. Then try to buy some cast bullets and see how they do before I go thru the expense of dies,sizers, ect. It would be nice if the bullet manufactures would sell sample boxes of bullets so you did not have to to buy 100 rounds at a time and then find out that they did not work. Thanks again
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 08:36 PM

Default Marcheno Sharps

Hi,
I took my 45/70 barrel off and fitted a 50/70 shilo barrel.
Screwed right in... Would'nt trade it for the world :-)
Marcheno's are very well made.
Regards Jon...

Badges,we don't need no stinking badges.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 09:19 PM

Bis,
I own and shoot 7 different .45-70 single shot rifles. Several original Ballards, a Hepburn, Ruger #1, and a couple of very old Marlin lever actions. I shoot cast in all of them, and use a number of different loads, depending on what I'm doing with a particular gun.
I use an old Ideal mold that casts a 420 gr. bullet which seems to work well in all of them. I also have one of the inexpensive Lee tumble lube design bullet molds that casts a 360 gr. bullet, which is lubed with Lee Liquid Alox. Surprisingly, this has given some of my best groups to date.
When buying bullets, I have purchased some Meister brand hard cast bullets from Midway, and although they are pretty reasonably priced, they give good accuracy, and make decent hunting rounds, with little or no leading when pushed up to 1500-1600 fps. I took my deer last year with a 1870's Ballard #4 in .45-70, using the Meister bullets, and expansion was adequate, even on a small boned animal like deer. I think it would hold together well, even on elk, if used for them.

Ballard, the great American Rifles!
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Bis

Jon- I know nothing about the quality of these guns other than they look great. Are they strong enough to take loads higher than the trapdoor loads? I would probably never try them but it would be nice to know.
The thought of a 50/70 sounds really inviting. I have an original military rolling block but don't want to screw it up. How hard was it to change and what kind of money are we talking about?

I didn't think they would let you guys "down under" have such big guns :-)

I hooked up with a bunch of Australian Air Force guys in Nam and had a great time or so they tell me :grin:

Thanks for the reply
Ken
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Bis

Marlinman93- Do you get much leading with the hard cast bullets? Also, what kind of powder are you using, I have bought IMR 3031. I have not reloaded any rounds (I am working on my 243 first) for my 45/70 yet but have bought all the dies and am gathering info. I did buy a box of 300 grain Rem. JHP's which may have been a mistake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page