Need help with a repoduction Sharps - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Bis

Default Need help with a repoduction Sharps

I am trying to figure out how strong my Sharps is for reloading and to see if parts are still available for it.
I have no idea why I bought this gun 20 plus years ago, since I collect original U.S. Mil. weapons except that it just looked so neat. I have put about 30 rounds of factory ammo ( 45/70 ) thru it over the years, but since moving to East Texas from S. Calif. I can now go out in my back yard and blast away, and at $25 a box I need to learn how to reload.
The weapon is 45/70 with a 28 inch X 1 inch hex barrel. It is marked on the top flat with large letters "Old Reliable" and then in small letters "U.S. SHARPS RIFLE CO. MERIDEN CONN.". The next flat ( toward the hammer) says " SILE NEW YORK,N.Y.". The next flat says "IAB MARCHENO MADE IN ITALY". It has a modern stile adjustable flip up rear sight and a bead front sight. The action, hammer and trigger guard have heavy engraving. Any ideas about it???
I am going to try my luck at reloading the 45/70 and will probably stick to Trapdoor loads but would like to know if I can push it up a little. I would like to try my luck taking some White tailed deer with it. I have purchased Rem 300 grain JHP bullets and some IMR 3031 powder, any suggestions for loads??
Thanks for any and all help.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 10:26 AM

Best to keep it under 25,000. It'll do anything you want at that pressure.

As for parts

vtigunparts.com
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Bis

GuntherII
Thanks for the reply.
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 12:03 AM

Biz

I have the same Sharps rifle, which I reamed up from the 45-70 to 45-90 and your shoulder will give out before the gun does.

The only thing I'm changing on mine is the barrel, which I'm ordering a Badger barrel for it. :grin:

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Bis

Montanan

Can I bug you with a bunch of questions?

I am going to try my luck at reloading and have looked thru some reload manuals. They all seem to list 45/70's into 3 classes. Trapdoor, lever action and Ruger. I presume since you have taken a 45/70 to a 45/90 that this gun will handle at least the lever action loads?

I have purchased some Rem 300 grain bullets ( I am hoping that the lighter bullets will help to keep my shoulder attached to my body :-) ). I am trying IMR 3031 powder. Any ideas for start and max loads. I would like to try using this on White Tailed deer.

Did you purchase the gun new? I found mine at the Great Western Gun Show in Pomona Calif. before the wise legislators shut it down ( I have not seen any difference in crime since then) for about $250 ( in the 1980's). It was so clean and was just beautiful to look at.

I still have the open sights and a vernier sight on the tang. The open sights are set for about 50 yards and the vernier sights are set at 150. This great except the vernier sight is about 2.5 inches long and when laying down so I can us the open sight, I get nice bruise on my cheek, is the hole pattern for the vernier sight some what standard so I can get a shorter sight?

Do you know if the Sharps Rifle Co. is still in business?

Thanks for all the help.

Ken
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 02:33 AM

Bis-Best advice was already given-keep your loads limited to 25,000 PSI for any original Sharps or any you are in doubt about. In most cases that is the mid-range loading data in the Lyman cast lead reloading book. The only Sharps Rifle companies in existence all manufacture "reproductions". C Sharps, Shiloh, Axtell, and a couple of others are high quality. Pedersoli is the next best. Sile, Pedretti, Armi San Marco, near the bottom. You get what you pay for. 405 gr bullets at 1200 fps will kill any thing on the north American continent. If you find anything they won't kill, run like ****!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Bis

ZRIFLEMAN

Thanks for the reply, since I am getting to old to run, I guess I better make the first shot count :-) .

I take it the 405 grain is an all around better hunting bullet( I bought some 300 grain jacketed bullets thinking that recoil would be less). Also, why do most people use cast bullets for the 45/70 instead of jacketed?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 04:32 PM

Bis-most sharps reproductions shoot well made cast bullets as good as jacketed bullets. Part of the fun of owning them is making the bullets and working up the loads. Since most repro-rifles in 45-70 use a 1-20 or 1-18 twist , they lend themselves better to the heavier bullets 400-500 gr range, with velocity in the 1200-1400 fps range being optimum. Yesterday at the range I put 8 out of 10 shots in a ragged hole at 100yds with 520 gr cast bullets with my 45-90 sharps.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Bis

Zrifleman- 8 out of 10 producing one hole is impressive!

I have cast minie balls for years for my muzzle loader, but that requires pure lead so the base can expand into the rifling. For the 45/70 don't you need hardened lead and something called a gas check (I presume that is a cup attached to the base of the bullet)? Can you use wheel weights?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 02:00 AM

bis-you don't "need" gas checks for mid range loads in 45-70. I use them just because some of my better molds cast g.c. bullets and I don't like cleaning lead out of the barrel. Flat base bullets cast from wheel weights or a combination of WW and pure lead sized .001 over groove dia. should work just fine. One of my molds, a Saeco 540 gr flat base--consistently produces bullets that shoot tight groups at 200 yds in a variety of rifles. The important thing is--buy a good mold that will cast, a good ,well designed bullet that fits your rifle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page